• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

Everett had to have one of the COOLEST signatures in comics

:whistle:

They may have been cheap, but they were rarely available.

Now that they're more expensive, they're seldom available.

Atlas seems to account for maybe 5 % of new listings on GA Horror on ebay.Outside of www.terryscomics.com and www.metropoliscomics.com I don't see them much at all.There's a couple U.K. sites, but I guess most of them ( Atlas Horror) ended up in the trash back in the day.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Bob Storms and Marnin Rosenberg have quite a few (although Rosenberg's prices are, er... ), and Clink has a few. That being said, the large majority of those are post-code. I don't think they do well in an auction setting for a variety of reasons (too many titles being one of them), so that might be one reason they aren't on ebay as much.

I love unexpected finds like this. I went to a local show with no plans to even look through boxes - I was meeting some other collectors for a "show & tell". I struck up a conversation with one of the dealers and he started pulling out boxes for me to see. I happen across two books I definitely wanted and we came to a reasonable price.

The Rawhide Kid 22 is a true stunner. Blinding white pages, newsstand gloss. I know FUELMAN has a sharp copy, but I think you'd be hard pressed to improve on this one.

The Outlaw Fighters has one of the few Maneely covers that I think stand out relative to the rest of his output. He was definitely a talented artist, but didn't have that "oomph" that made him particularly stand out among the crowd. This cover shows what he was capable of, and the lightening is wonderfully rendered. I think the colors for the logo are perfectly suited to the rest of the cover as well. I've passed on a few copies of this in the past, but this one was too pretty to resist.

64645.jpg.845fb67da7b73557be8caae9f98c0ec8.jpg

64646.jpg.d2d0f11636fd08eabc6b447001a978b1.jpg

Really nice copy of OF # 2...best I've seen. (thumbs u

As for Maneely, I give him more credit than you. If it wasn't for his short life I think ....well, I'll leave that speculation out there.

The OF # 2 is good but he did so much better, imho.....I know the Black Knight fans would agree. Generally speaking, I myself like his frozen art more than his action frames, If that makes sense.

Regardless, he had a nice 'edge' to his work.

Oh, by the way, I don't have a copy of that OF # 2....I'm envious. :pullhair:

Here's a few of my long standing favorites;

sgw21yt.jpg

wgf22dr7.jpg

ww413bu.jpg

tgw5rh1.jpg

rk16ib7.jpg

qtw158ic.jpg

ms45lq.jpg

of49ou.jpg

I love unexpected finds like this. I went to a local show with no plans to even look through boxes - I was meeting some other collectors for a "show & tell". I struck up a conversation with one of the dealers and he started pulling out boxes for me to see. I happen across two books I definitely wanted and we came to a reasonable price.

The Rawhide Kid 22 is a true stunner. Blinding white pages, newsstand gloss. I know FUELMAN has a sharp copy, but I think you'd be hard pressed to improve on this one.

The Outlaw Fighters has one of the few Maneely covers that I think stand out relative to the rest of his output. He was definitely a talented artist, but didn't have that "oomph" that made him particularly stand out among the crowd. This cover shows what he was capable of, and the lightening is wonderfully rendered. I think the colors for the logo are perfectly suited to the rest of the cover as well. I've passed on a few copies of this in the past, but this one was too pretty to resist.

Two great looking copies! (worship)

Really nice copy of OF # 2...best I've seen. (thumbs u

As for Maneely, I give him more credit than you. If it wasn't for his short life I think ....well, I'll leave that speculation out there.

The OF # 2 is good but he did so much better, imho.....I know the Black Knight fans would agree. Generally speaking, I myself like his frozen art more than his action frames, If that makes sense.

Regardless, he had a nice 'edge' to his work.

Oh, by the way, I don't have a copy of that OF # 2....I'm envious. :pullhair:

Here's a few of my long standing favorites;

Those are great, I especially like the six-gun western. My sense with Maneely is that for each cover like those above, there are 3 or 4 others that are relatively bland. If you contrast that to Heath or Everett, the ratio is more in favor of great covers. At least in my opinion.

That probably reflects my affinity toward covers with a little action as Maneely tended to draw static poses and situations. As you've said, you prefer those which I would imagine explains your fondness for Maneely. I think as a technical artist, and stylistically (linework, not layout) as well he is up there with the best of them. But I prefer the content of other artists as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I like Maneely and think he did some wonderful work, but looking through my war books his action scenes were often lacking (in fact the two covers of his I really like are more static - Battlefront 11, War Action 12). Maybe the editor(s) at Atlas recognized this and put him more on the Western line where he could put some tense "stand-off" images together; more in line with the content.

I'm just making this up as I go, so please no-one take this as gospel.

Here are the two covers I referenced.

64677.jpg.26e3fdb3a6fa1c89ee0b5dd01414f7e9.jpg

64678.jpg.206ec4e943203aaaf2da986b3c1baa16.jpg

Those are great, I especially like the six-gun western. My sense with Maneely is that for each cover like those above, there are 3 or 4 others that are relatively bland. If you contrast that to Heath or Everett, the ratio is more in favor of great covers. At least in my opinion.

That probably reflects my affinity toward covers with a little action as Maneely tended to draw static poses and situations. As you've said, you prefer those which I would imagine explains your fondness for Maneely. I think as a technical artist, and stylistically (linework, not layout) as well he is up there with the best of them. But I prefer the content of other artists as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I like Maneely and think he did some wonderful work, but looking through my war books his action scenes were often lacking (in fact the two covers of his I really like are more static - Battlefront 11, War Action 12). Maybe the editor(s) at Atlas recognized this and put him more on the Western line where he could put some tense "stand-off" images together; more in line with the content.

I'm just making this up as I go, so please no-one take this as gospel.

Here are the two covers I referenced.

I'm all about westerns but I can appreciate the passion for war, horror and those super hero guys.

Yes, "static poses"...that's the word I was looking for, thank you.

I enjoy JM's static poses immensely. However, looking at your Battlefront 11, War Action 12 they don't quite measure up with the Heath, Everett covers...again imho...but "what's missing" here he's "got' in his westerns, on static poses.

You hit the nail-on-the-head, I gotta agree with you; JM has a lot of misses, I've said the same way back in the thread when discussing this very topic.

Speaking for westerns......Maneely, Severin and Heath are my main staple. As for Everett, I'm guessing here, I'd say it wasn't his forte. If I'm wrong correct me, but if it wasn't for Two Gun Western # 12 2nd series he would barely be noticed within the Atlas runs. I recently sold my low grade copy so I don't have a scan to throw up but if my memory is correct adamstrange has a sweet copy....if he reads this maybe he'll post it for us.

Here's the only two Everett western I have. If you know of others I'd like to see 'em or at least know the titles.

kfdc29bc.jpg

we6xro6.jpg

Gotta throw up this WO # 3....just another book that grabs me.

wo3hk1.jpg

My Atlas romance collection of 28 comics.

Lots of nice Jay Scott Pike art and loads of Vince Colletta art.

Are any of these scarce or rare?

Click to embiggen. Again to magnify.

Nice to see these books, they don't get posted very often. :applause:

Mike

Edited by Monkeyman

Thanks.

After doing some research, I realized I should post,

the Teen-age Romance #77 after the My Own Romance run

because it is a continuation of that run.

(shill alert: these are going up for sale, tonight, in the Forum Only selling thread.)

Alex Toth, Russ Heath and Bill Everett illustrated stories in some of these.

Even Matt Baker shows up.

Have you ever heard of Anne Brewster? She drew a few, too.

Have you ever heard of Anne Brewster? She drew a few, too.

Sure. For a little more on her, read Lou Cameron's interview in a recent Alter Ego. She was a standard at Ace more so than she was at Atlas.