• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

:gossip: I also like the Martian in the kitchen.

Some Atlas war books with covers done by the master, Russ Heath. :cloud9:

WarAction7Fine-5-1.jpg

Definitely not HG by any means but look at the art and the expressions

on each soldier's face and the perfectly drawn Saber just finishing it's

bomb run and followed closely by a Russian Mig. I love this cover and

hope to one day find a Fine Plus or better copy. :wishluck:

War23a-1.jpg

Another Russ Heath Beauty picked up recently on e-bay for 6.50 if I

remember correctly. hm

Picture699.jpg

These are cool books to collect and you can find some sweet deals

on the odd nice book.

Edited by Fazybones

Here's a nice story I just picked up. This was a lower-mid grade copy that looked pretty decent and I was on the fence about buying it. When I saw the story I figured it was worth it. I'm glad I did, because I popped one of the staples off the CF scanning this :sorry:

60771-002.jpg.60c62d95c4b3dae5c3090f2298173810.jpg

60772-003.jpg.6e0db77bffebbd7b250411a7a37a1434.jpg

60773-004.jpg.a178002f1a460db189996df5f3497dce.jpg

60774-005.jpg.a6bfb662f9a99aa057f5ae9ab2263c00.jpg

60775-006.jpg.e4bef431e27f5bbaeef9526e40ec0d06.jpg

60776-007.jpg.ee2b12db3ae30348acec75efb6bed989.jpg

60777-008.jpg.785fa293f33023f33f78e87b602d7bdc.jpg

Yes, Battle 16 - and the bloody hands panel and the shot to the face are definitely the "finer points" of the story.

Thanks for posting! It's the historically based stories like this one that make Atlas war so interesting.

Sorry about the staple. :sorry:

Edited by adamstrange

Very, very interesting. One of the things I admire about Heath is that his depictions of uniforms and hardware looked authentic. He did his research.
I believe he served in the Air Force for a short amount of time

Very, very interesting. One of the things I admire about Heath is that his depictions of uniforms and hardware looked authentic. He did his research.
I believe he served in the Air Force for a short amount of time

He was in the armed services for a short period time (I'll assume Cap Freak is correct that it was Army Air Corp) but it was his devotion to accuracy that let him to do research for his stories. He went as far as purchasing equipment and building models so that he could produce accurate representations of historically accurate objects. He and John Severin were both fanatics in this way.

From Wikipedia:

It is unclear if Heath, anxious to fight in World War II, graduated high school; in a 2004 interview, he recalls going "into the Air Force in my senior year of high school, in 1945," after having been "put in an accelerated class so I could get through with high school. I almost made it, but then the Air Force called me and in I went".[2] He served stateside for nine months, drawing cartoons for his camp newspaper, but due to a clerical error, he said, he was on neither the military payroll nor any official duty roster for a significant portion of his time. Upon his discharge, he lived at home on a one-year military stipend of $20 a week before working as a lifeguard at a swim club, where he met his future wife.

From Wiki as well:

The United States Air Force (USAF) is the aerial warfare branch of the armed forces and one of the seven uniformed services. Initially born as the United States Army Air Corps, the USAF was formed as a separate branch of the military on September 18, 1947.[3] It was the last branch of the U.S. military to be formed.

Yes, Battle 16 - and the bloody hands panel and the shot to the face are definitely the "finer points" of the story.

Thanks for posting! It's the historically based stories like this one that make Atlas war so interesting.

Sorry about the staple. :sorry:

Do you guys mind posting the cover, I want to track a copy down. (thumbs u in advance.