• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

That's a fabulous starter set of Atlas books!

Thanks AS!

I don't visit the Gold Section of these boards enough and I think it's so

cool you guys post the inside of comics. (thumbs u

What a strange concept. hm That's so cool.

That was an awesome splash page by Heath.

...the final frontier of Atlas comics is the Romance genre.

If a collector wants to take it a step further, there is the interesting subset of the Atlas Western Romances. :)

westernromances.jpg

I so would go there but I do not believe I own any of the sub-set ... though the stories in the handful of FH's Cowgirl Romance issues I have are not anything to write home about ...

... the stories in the handful of FH's Cowgirl Romance issues I have are not anything to write home about ...

The stories in My Own Romance #8 may be more to your liking.

They're "True Life" stories. cool_shades.gif

myownromance4.jpg

myownromance2.jpg

myownromance1.jpg

myownromance3.jpg

myownromance4.jpg

This one looks like a fun one.

I just finished reading this Arizona Kid # 5, November 1951, with 3 Morisi stories (before he started to sign PAM as he didn't join the force until about 1955). The earliest work credited to Morisi is circa 1950 on Arizona Kid in fact so we're catching him early in his career (born 1928) @ 23 years old.

I enjoy PAM's work despite 1) the fact that on most of these pages the line work and the colors are not aligned (what term should I use: off-register?) and 2) that seemingly Morisi had never actually seen the American West and that his vision of it is idealized when it comes to landscapes. I show the Maneely cover and 3 PAM pages -

N.B.: The Arizona Kid is a Texas ranger.

ArizonaKid5.jpg

ArizonaKid5-Morisi-Story1-Page.jpg

ArizonaKid5-Morisi-Story1-Page2.jpg

ArizonaKid5-Morisi-Story3-Page.jpg

Off registration color is way too distracting. I'm a fan of Morisi's work on Johnny Dynamite, but don't really know his other work that well. The later pre-code issues of Dynamite have some nice stuff where Morisi does more than just copy Tuska's style.

Marvel Tales # 117 - Not a single signature Atlas artist in the issue, yet still very fun with Perlin, Kane, Kweskin, Ravielli and DiPreta.

I always enjoy Ravielli's work and this one was no different. I rarely see Kweskin's work but I don't mind it and this one was interesting though the story fell flat. No up-nose shot in this Kane splash but from the splash, you know where this will end ( :gossip: he will get brain surgery without ether ...)

Everett cover -

MarvelTales117.jpg

MarvelTales117-Ravielli-GideonGold.jpg

MarvelTales117-Kane-Alittlepainneverhurtanybody.jpg

...the final frontier of Atlas comics is the Romance genre.

If a collector wants to take it a step further, there is the interesting subset of the Atlas Western Romances. :)

westernromances.jpg

Atlas Western Romances...

Where else will you find a photo cover of a young Yvonne DeCarlo?

Romances Of The West #1 1949

126170.jpg.3a2d0bb766a1c40bb1c108a9fede4a36.jpg

126171.jpg.c3fcfc025f843756441a188fe52da84d.jpg

126172.jpg.a812f65c692949ed8f5928de98566ef6.jpg

126173.jpg.449e8e7ff9806707b1fa2304fedf0734.jpg

Thanks for the scans. (thumbs u What issue is that from?

Banzai0.jpg

Battle Action 3. That story is a classic! Given a three-act format, Chapman dispenses with Act 1, starts the story in Act 2 and cuts it short in Act 3 without resolution. It's not so much a narrative as a description of a cyclic process and cataloging of death and the toll of war. The writing conveys a lot but done with economy.

Oh, one other thing about Heath. It's fascinating how over a short two years or so (from the Love Trails example), he really matured as an artist. Heath was a real prodigy and hit the ground running.

Here's Russ Heath in a complete Atlas war classic by Hank Chapman. He really hits his stride here.

Banzai1.jpg

Banzai2.jpg

Banzai3.jpg

Banzai4.jpg

Banzai5.jpg

Banzai6.jpg

not to be trouble maker but "Banzai" is Japanese and the Reds were Chinese....

Thanks for posting, its very cool

Edited by podboy66

Banzai's literal meaning in Japanese is "ten thousand years (of life)" - and the full phrase in WW2 was "Tennouheika Banzai!" - meaning roughly "Long live the Emperor". The word is used as an all purpose victory cheer (i.e. sporting events), not just a battle cry. The Korean equivalent is "Manse" - which was used in chants by the Koreans during their ill-fated 1919 Independence Movement from Japan. The Chinese equivalent is "Wan-sui", and in similar fashion, was included in victory chants after the Japanese had been driven from China in 1945.

There are first-hand reports of American soldiers hearing the "Banzai" war cry during human wave attacks in Korea. They were probably hearing "Manse" or "Wan-sui" and conflating it with the well-known Japanese cry of "Banzai" used in similar attacks at the end of WW2.

Great stuff every one :applause:

I've had this one for a couple of months now. I didn't post it since its condition does not quite fit my collection but I like it and all the Maneely goodness inside -

Spaceman2.jpg

not to be trouble maker but "Banzai" is Japanese and the Reds were Chinese....

I doubt that Kurtzman would have let that one slip by over at EC.

It's like giving title to a story of Americans charging up San Juan Hill, "Rebel Yell". It simply doesn't fit in the general context of things.