• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,318 posts in this topic

This one checked off a couple of boxes for me: it is from 1954 but it also completes my Wild run. Stories by Maneely, Heath, Everett, Post and good Hartley. An Atlas collector dream come true!

Wild # 2 -

123807.jpg.228cce3a23ce469ce513b3556f8e9909.jpg

The latest addition to my pre-code Combat Casey collection, which is taking forever as I'm cheap, looking for solid VG+ or better, and don't really look that hard. Didn't notice the tape pull on the fingers until I got it though. My favorite cover of the run, so I guess it's still worth a few puffs of one of Fury's chewed up stogies if not a whole cigar. Guess I'll put it on the upgrade list ( which gets filled even slower than my want list) .

ccasey012.jpg

:applause: surprisingly fun run as you know. I only miss 2 issues to complete the run

The combination of humor and violence with R.Q. Sale's art is what got me picking up more issues after buying my first on a whim. Less grim than most of the Atlas war books, but often more graphic. How are the post code issues?

Finished my Yellow Claw run this weekend with this book. Already posted in my con report, but I know lotsa Gold types avoid CG. I was planning to come home with a handful of small purchases but knew if I let his one go I'd be kicking myself.

YellowClaw4.jpg

Finished my Yellow Claw run this weekend with this book. Already posted in my con report, but I know lotsa Gold types avoid CG. I was planning to come home with a handful of small purchases but knew if I let his one go I'd be kicking myself.

YellowClaw4.jpg

CRAW, not CRAW!

YellowClaw4.jpg

.....neat book....and a BEAUTIFUL COPY. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

YellowClaw4.jpg

Four 1956 Jack Kirby stories, inked at least partially by his wife Roz. Great great book you'll never regret getting!

Bill Everett relates a little bit of history in MARINES IN BATTLE #4, 1954.

BIG THANKS to the Grand Comic Book Database for helping collectors find good Atlas stories. Atlas comics can be a crapshoot. GCD eliminates some of the guesswork!

125879.jpg.6f9d43af3bedb9716bde3ac25f77215c.jpg

125880.jpg.e14aca466649ba3ca1e282c3e7a83ed5.jpg

125881.jpg.16f67f2c7f86ca0a4b8b33fd3bc21091.jpg

125882.jpg.b2630e88ebec698f427b120c40017129.jpg

125883.jpg.5a3586c05dc0385986fafbdc6239f02f.jpg

I'm familiar with that story but glad you've shared it here. Everett's style is particularly suited to the Revolutionary War through War of 1812 and there are a few more of the historically based short stories that are similarly enjoyable.

This one for RJ in case he gets away from the idea of collecting Atlas Westerns.

If someone has a better copy, please please please post it -

Same issue with this book as I have with most Post-Code stories, the story page count typically drops from 7 to 5 which leaves little room for the story to develop. Have to be satisfied with the Severin art. In the third Ringo Kid story, he meets up with his old man for an adventure. That was nice.

RingoKid6.jpg

BIG THANKS to the Grand Comic Book Database for helping collectors find good Atlas stories. Atlas comics can be a crapshoot. GCD eliminates some of the guesswork!

I agree with that, though it has not stopped me from collecting all Atlas War books, but I will say that it's really the rare Atlas War book that has 4 turkeys in it. I generally find value in all of them.

Yesterday, I read this random issue of Man Comics (# 24, last issue IIRC) and there's good stuff in it: Sinnott on Napoleon's Waterloo and the last story: Breakdown, not for the art but the story about this crack sergeant who eventually falls to prey to battle fatigue and how his superiors help him in order to give him the rest & help he needs along with maintaining his honor, WITH a twist ending at the same time. I have too many times discounted stories in these Atlas books just from the visual when it's not arresting but give the stories themselves a chance to surprise you.

QUESTION TIME: Why is it that collecting the BIG DC 5 is very popular and rarely a one collects the Atlas War? Is there something historical in comic collecting that I am not aware?

SECOND QUESTION: Who are the big name artists on the BIG DC 5? Kubert, Heath, Grandenetti, ???

ManComics24.jpg

ManComics24-NapoleonWaterlooPage.jpg

ManComics24-CombatFatigue.jpg

SECOND QUESTION: Who are the big name artists on the BIG DC 5? Kubert, Heath, Grandenetti
Add Drucker and Severin and you have my 5 favorites of the 10 cent era. You will find occasional stories by Infantino, Swan, Anderson, Colan, Wally Wood and Andru/Esposito that are quite good.

IIRC there was a VFish copy of Man #24 on ebay a couple years back for a little over $50, which was a bit more than I like to spend on Atlas war books, but seeing that excellent Anderson cover again makes me wish I had pulled the trigger.

Sinnott is an overlooked artist, better known for his Marvel era inking, but as I wrote in another thread, this is likely due to the similarity of his style to Heath's. Though I have noticed that sometimes Heath's Atlas interior work looks rushed in way his covers never do, while Sinnott always seems to put in a solid effort.

The most obvious answer as to why the DC Big 5 have a much stronger following is the concentration and longevity of the titles as compared to Atlas output, and the emphasis on continuing characters starting in '59.

Had Sgt. Fury first appeared Battle #79, even taking over the title with issue #125, the early issues would be far more sought after than they are now. Conversely, if DC had put out four dozen different war titles, averaging maybe 10 issues each during the 1950s they would no doubt be less in demand than the Big 5 are today.

Also, while DC, like Atlas, had a number of talented artists working on their war books, with Heath a seminal cover artist for both, I can't help feel that the dominance of Kubert helped created a cohesiveness to DC's war output from the early Silver through the Bronze Age that appeals to the collector mentality.