• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,317 posts in this topic

I'm not sure which number, 13, I think, of Quick Trigger Western.....but I would bend over backwards for a high grade copie of that one....the red, gunslinger at the bar cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm not sure which number, 13, I think, of Quick Trigger Western.....but I would bend over backwards for a high grade copie of that one....the red, gunslinger at the bar cover. GOD BLESS...

15?

http://www.comics.org/issue/13228/cover/4/

All of those are excellent examples!

This cover would never make it past the Code :applause:

WESTOUTLAW1.jpg

15?

http://www.comics.org/issue/13228/cover/4/

....that's the one. Thanks, AS......GOD BLESS....

I hope others will post theirs. Meanwhile, here's Six-gun Western # 2 - And, yes, that's another Maneely cover

I was going to post more Atlas war but...

Here's a cleaner copy of your Maneely cover.

sixgunWestern.jpg

Among the Atlas bullpen, Maneely had a good grasp for western cover dynamics without overly falling into cliché. His covers capture tension that communicate sudden violence (or the promise of violence)...and his outlaws really look ornery, necessary elements in a good western cover.

westernGunF22.jpg

Here's a portrayal of the gunfighter as "superhero" in this cover from the one-shot Black Rider. If a real cowboy dressed like this in the wild west, he'd be "rode out of town on a rail."

blackRider.jpg

Here's John Severin again with a one-page gag from the Kurtzman-edited Help! reconciling between comic book gunfighters and the ones in real-life.

sevGunfighters.jpg

[

Among the Atlas bullpen, Maneely had a good grasp for western cover dynamics without overly falling into cliché. His covers capture tension that communicate sudden violence (or the promise of violence)...and his outlaws really look ornery, necessary elements in a good western cover.

westernGunF22.jpg

I especially like the coloring on this one, monochromatic foreground with yellow highlights, washed out middle ground, and monochromatic background all work to create a real sense of depth.

That Quick-trigger Western 15 is a classic Maneely "dude" cover.

MA21f.jpg:cloud9: .....Momma always raised me to be thankful for what I've got....but I sure wouldn't mind finding an Adamstrange worthy copy of this book. Until then, the gloss and color on this one are actually quite nice....courtesy of bcc.......GOD BLESS...

In other western covers, bystanders might skedaddle to the side during onset of a gunfight. But in a Jack Kirby western, folks typically climb up the walls of a building to avoid getting hurt!

wyattEarpB.jpg

Seeing a Kirby cover for the first time :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

In other western covers, bystanders might skedaddle to the side during onset of a gunfight. But in a Jack Kirby western, folks typically climb up the walls of a building to avoid getting hurt!

wyattEarpB.jpg

Seeing a Kirby cover for the first time :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

While many folks like to point out Kirby's flaws as an artist, his ability to convey action and movement with static figures is second to none. It's not so much a "snapshot" but a panorama where you have to inspect every character multiple times just to make sure they aren't moving and you're eyes aren't deceiving you.

That Wild is a riot :applause:

Atlas does Mad?

Yup. Stan Lee was crazy :insane:

wyattEarpB.jpg

Everett inks? GCD says maybe Ayers or Rule, but I don't think it looks like either.

And I agree with Jive, nobody captures the sense of motion like Kirby.