• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

I'm curious, what is it about Sale's artwork you like?

It has a certain Joe Maneely quality (though not as good) to my eye.

He's like Maneely's slightly psychotic younger brother. Which is a good thing. (thumbs u

Got these in the last week or so and they're all very cool. Kid from Dodge City is almost solid 1957 Heck and was around 20 bucks :cloud9: The Jann's each have Williamson / Mayo interiors with Everett covers.....a tough combo to beat. GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

dodge1.jpg

Jann-16.jpg

Jann-17.jpg

Tough book! And a very cool one. :applause:

That's one of my favorite 50s comics. Great pickup! :applause:

Yes, though this one bears being seen in large format to notice the violence.

I read the book this after-noon and it was a pleasant read for an early Atlas War (July 1952). The early Atlas stories are less jingo at times and more imbued with fatalistic realism than later stories. Inside, two of the four stories showcase protagonists who die at the end and the first one is a rather grim story of revenge from an escaped POW. The artistic line-up won't make any sparks but the stories carries the jobs anyway: Berg, Pike, Steinberg and Grydko (sp?).

Afternoon read - Battle-ground # 1.

Battle-ground is a rare series by Atlas as it started fairly late in 1954, well past the Atlas War explosion of late 1952. As such, there are only 4 issues of Battle-ground that are pre-code.

In issue 1, we have (courtesy of AtlasTales.com):

E-876 Across the Han! by Paul Reinman

E-880 Rescue! [Notes: Semi-historical account of the raid to free Allied prisoners of war from the prison camp at Cabanatuan in the Philippines (30 Jan 1945).] by Joe Sinnott

E-783 Garabaldi! by Myron Fass

E-851 Flanders' Fields! [Notes: Semi-historical account of the Battle of Passchendaele (Jul-Nov 1917)] by Tony DiPreta

I showcase also two panels each from the Sinnott and DiPreta stories. These are rare DiPreta panels that I'd highlight but as the panels tour Belgium, I find them of great interest.

Battlegroun1.jpg

Battleground1-SinnottPanels.jpg

Battleground1-DiPretaPanels.jpg

Second in a series is Battle-ground # 2

In issue 2, we have (courtesy of AtlasTales.com):

E-963 Wonsan [Notes: Historical account of the amphibious operations at Wonsan, Korea (Oct-Nov 1950)] by Jay Scott Pike

E-938 Obsolete by Paul Reinman

E-926 Turning Point [Notes: Historical account of the Battle of Gettysburg (Jul 1863). Features Gen. Robert Edward Lee (1807-1870); Gen. George Gordon Meade (1815-1872) appears] by Jack Katz

E-964 Monsoon by Robert Q. Sale

All in all this was a better issue than issue 1 with each story offering something different and interesting. :thumbsup:

I showcase also panels from the Katz and Sale stories. Katz gave the editors their money's worth!

Battleground2.jpg

Battleground2-KatzPanel.jpg

Battleground2-SalePanel.jpg

The Katz stories I have are similarly detailed -- he doesn't skimp.

That Heath cover is excellent!

I showcase also panels from the Katz and Sale stories. Katz gave the editors their money's worth!

What I really like about the two panels is the underground comix feel to them. Of course, Katz was a mainstay in the underground scene. However the Sale panel has a bold look that reminds me of the work of Spain Rodriguez. I wonder whether Stan Lee (also the defacto art editor) appreciated the experimental style of some of his Atlas freelancers? I'll bet he was laissez faire and didn't say much to displease the artist. After all he allowed Krigstein to stuff those time-sliced narrow, animated panels in a four pager.

Third in a series is Battle-ground # 3

In issue 3, we have (courtesy of AtlasTales.com):

F-126 Nao Kung by Joe Maneely

F-154 Sky Duel by Gene Colan

F-140 Alfred The Great by Jack Katz

F-269 Attack In The Alps by Ayers and Ernie Bache

The hits keep on coming. The stories are again directly or somewhat related to actual events in this one and that's why I enjoy this title immensely.

I showcase panels from the incomparable Maneely drawing a rascally red and a less frenzied, yet still potent, panel by Katz (who did deliver some nice battle scenes in this one job but I particularly like this send-off panel).

Battleground3.jpg

Battleground3-ManeelyPanel.jpg

Battleground3-KatzPanel.jpg