• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA COMIC BOOK Collecting in the Financial crisis of 2020
3 3

889 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

To where, pray tell???  ???  lol

Big market crash today. 

I'm guessing the poster means it's going to drive speculation about collectibles. 

The markets should be interesting to watch over the next few days,  weeks and months. People were pretty convinced we were going to see a V shaped recovery earlier this week. Now we'll have to see if the sell off continues, making a W shaped recovery ? Or if this is a quick correction from all the buying and things start looking up again shortly. 

59 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Big market crash today. 

I'm guessing the poster means it's going to drive speculation about collectibles. 

The markets should be interesting to watch over the next few days,  weeks and months. People were pretty convinced we were going to see a V shaped recovery earlier this week. Now we'll have to see if the sell off continues, making a W shaped recovery ? Or if this is a quick correction from all the buying and things start looking up again shortly. 

A convincing recovery isn't likely to take shape until there's a safe, reliable, readily available Covid-19 vaccine.

15 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

A convincing recovery isn't likely to take shape until there's a safe, reliable, readily available Covid-19 vaccine.

I would also factor in the current civil unrest.  The market does not like disquiet rippling the country.

34 minutes ago, fifties said:

I would also factor in the current civil unrest.  The market does not like disquiet rippling the country.

True, and I would've mentioned that, but then I'd have had to touch on other things requiring change which is a morass we don't want to step into.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:
3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Big market crash today. 

Remember that phrase from Alan Greenspan about irrational exuberance because it sure seem that way in the markets until today, especially with the S&P appraoching record highs and the Nasdaq blowing through their record highs to cross 10K during the past week.  :screwy:

Especially considering this was all taking place with Covid-19 hitting a new daily global record for new cases just earlier this week.  Coupled this with the fact that real unemployment is most likely well over 20% with virtually the entire economy still operating at 50% along with borders still closed.  Clearly the markets seem to be ignoring the realities of the economy while everybody with their stimulus checks were probably trying their hand at day trading the market.  :wishluck:

Watched a bit of CNBC today and they said that the bottom 20 (or something like that) of the Russell 2000 returned about 81% during the big increase last week, while the top 20 on the Russell returned something like only 5% during the same time frame.  Heck, even a real company with no revenues at this time like Norwegian Cruise Lines returned something like 71% last week before taking a big hit today.  I really really should learn to day trade instead of treating it like a comic book collection where I just buy and hold.  :facepalm:

If the markets were to reflect what's really happening to our economy, the curve should really start to look like an inverted "V" with a very long protruding tail to represent the slow recovery from this Coronavirus.  hm

3 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

I agree.  That's why I was surprised to see such a rapid recovery. If I had to speculate,  I would guess the market will fall again and we don't truly get out of this until people feel safe enough for life to resume to normal. 

The markets are a bit disconnected from the economy however,  because the Fed has pumped so much $$ into corporations. It will be interesting to watch. 

25 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I really really should learn to day trade instead of treating it like a comic book collection where I just buy and hold.  :facepalm:

I treat the market like a comic book to lol. Buy and hold.  Add to it occasionally, check in to read them and then tuck it away again. 

I did up my investments in March during the sell off. Even then I figured this was a 5+ year play. Endure the turbulence and hold tight. The quick recovery made me feel like Warren Buffet (minus several 0s), but it didn't change my plan. I'll be hanging on for the foreseeable future and riding out whatever turbulence is ahead.  

On 6/12/2020 at 7:44 AM, batman_fan said:
On 6/11/2020 at 9:40 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

We are likely screwed then

Yes, it would appear that most countries are afraid of a second wave of this deadly virus hitting them again.  :sick:  :fear:

Heard that certain sections of Bejing is heading back into a lockdown again as they had something like 50 new cases during the past few days after supposedly having none for almost 2 months.  And yet, some places in America and throughout the other parts of the world are starting to reopen even with more new cases every day than when they first went into lockdown, or even as new daily cases are at a record high.  hm  :screwy:

I think that the powers that be in any government are simply gonna have to walk a tightrope AFA balancing public health safety against economic ruin.

I don't think there would have been such massive demonstrations over George Floyd's death, had it not been that the population had been cooped up for months and were itching to get out of the house, as an example of pushing too far.

And no matter who is in office, there will be criticism over their handling of the situation, and a plethora of Monday morning QB's.

So this is the "new normal" for the time being, maybe until next year.  That said, I think the economy will come rushing back once all businesses are allowed to re-open.

On 6/14/2020 at 3:19 PM, fifties said:

I don't think there would have been such massive demonstrations over George Floyd's death, had it not been that the population had been cooped up for months and were itching to get out of the house, as an example of pushing too far.

I can think of other reasons

On 6/14/2020 at 2:19 PM, fifties said:

I think that the powers that be in any government are simply gonna have to walk a tightrope AFA balancing public health safety against economic ruin.

And no matter who is in office, there will be criticism over their handling of the situation, and a plethora of Monday morning QB's.

So this is the "new normal" for the time being, maybe until next year.  That said, I think the economy will come rushing back once all businesses are allowed to re-open.

I am skeptical about business coming roaring back.  Three landmark restaurants in Boulder closed forever, The Med, Via Perla, and Brasserie Ten Ten. The Med and Brasserie's were always packed, you had to have reservations to get in and both were go to place for local and visiting people.  I expect a lot of the small retail stores to go under as well.  This same scenario seems to be playing out across the country.  Seems like the real winners in this whole thing has been big business like Amazon, Walmart, etc.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I am skeptical about business coming roaring back.  Three landmark restaurants in Boulder closed forever, The Med, Via Perla, and Brasserie Ten Ten. The Med and Brasserie's were always packed, you had to have reservations to get in and both were go to place for local and visiting people.  I expect a lot of the small retail stores to go under as well.  This same scenario seems to be playing out across the country.  Seems like the real winners in this whole thing has been big business like Amazon, Walmart, etc.

"Only the strong survive".  I'm on a Next Door local group, and the folks have been posting about how they can't wait to get out and go shopping and to restaurants, as one indication.  A local Realtor told me that there has been a pent up demand for starter houses, and in this area, that's half a million or more, as another.  And then there's the federal government.  Whether you like the president or not, he'll do all he can to promote the economy in order to ensure re-election.

2 hours ago, fifties said:

"Only the strong survive".  I'm on a Next Door local group, and the folks have been posting about how they can't wait to get out and go shopping and to restaurants, as one indication.  A local Realtor told me that there has been a pent up demand for starter houses, and in this area, that's half a million or more, as another.  And then there's the federal government.  Whether you like the president or not, he'll do all he can to promote the economy in order to ensure re-election.

The coronavirus is still calling the shots so waiting until there's a reliable vaccine is the only prudent option, especially for older folks.  This virus doesn't care who is in charge.  

15 hours ago, batman_fan said:

+1

Definitely of the same opinion as I have been to 2 Chinese dim sum restaurants during the past coupe of weeks and they didn't have any line ups at all, as compared to the almost hour long line ups in the past.  My sister-in-law who normally goes out to restaurants 5 times a week still hasn't gone into a restaurant even though they've been opened for the past month or so.  (shrug)

Although I would love to go on another ocean cruise sooner rather than later, not sure how soon I would actually be willing to sit on an airplane for hours on end or be cruising in the middle of the ocean until there's an actual vaccine out there.  :fear:

I personally believe this pandemic is going to create a big change in the way we function going forward.  Are companies going to continue to pay expensive rent for all of these huge office complexes or are they going to start allwing more of their employees to continue working from home.  How about the impact on the ince sky rocketing commercial rentals now that some of these small businesses sound as thiugh they will never be reopening back up again.  :(

Sounds as though it will even affect some of the big businesses, as even Starbucks will be closing hundreds of their locations on a permanent basis going forward.  :whatthe:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Definitely of the same opinion as I have been to 2 Chinese dim sum restaurants during the past coupe of weeks and they didn't have any line ups at all, as compared to the almost hour long line ups in the past.  My sister-in-law who normally goes out to restaurants 5 times a week still hasn't gone into a restaurant even though they've been opened for the past month or so.  (shrug)

Although I would love to go on another ocean cruise sooner rather than later, not sure how soon I would actually be willing to sit on an airplane for hours on end or be cruising in the middle of the ocean until there's an actual vaccine out there.  :fear:

I personally believe this pandemic is going to create a big change in the way we function going forward.  Are companies going to continue to pay expensive rent for all of these huge office complexes or are they going to start allwing more of their employees to continue working from home.  How about the impact on the ince sky rocketing commercial rentals now that some of these small businesses sound as thiugh they will never be reopening back up again.  :(

Sounds as though it will even affect some of the big businesses, as even Starbucks will be closing hundreds of their locations on a permanent basis going forward.  :whatthe:

It could be that the reason your restaurants didn't have lines recently is simply because many ppl are hesitant to go out until the Covid-19 situation is in hand.  I would agree that changes in commerce may soon be upon us, and it may indeed hit the office segment of the Real Estate market hard, as one aspect.