• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HG SA Marvels!!! Are there really a lot more out there?

101 posts in this topic

I'm a little confused as to how the census numbers would decrease for resubmits. You'd think that if someone was resubmitting their book to gain a higher grade, they wouldn't include the original label to influence CGC's decision. On the other hand, maybe they mailed in the label after receiving their book back from CGC.

Think of it this way. You resubmit a book for a higher grade. Regardless if the book gets a higher grade or not, do you want the NEW GRADE and the OLD GRADE still in the CENSUS.

Of course not.

So yes, either people send the book in still slabbed or return the label at the same time or afterwards.

Because the pressing paranoia posse were arguing that no book is scarce in high grade, because lower grade copies can all be pressed up into minty fresh condition.

That"s BS Tim. BS to your use of the phrase "posse". BS to your inaccurate genralization. I refute what you say. Show me the link, please. What "posse" said that?

Your pal, Red

Whoa, easy there Brad. I'm on your side on this issue. I just think people have gotten carried away in what they think can be achieved through pressing. As Rhino says in this thread, you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Perhaps I should've used the term "Pressing is Capable of Transmogrifying Anything into a Minty Fresh Book Paranoia Posse", but then I lose the catchy phrase.

Anyways, to answer your question, here is just a sample of quotes from the "label chasers" thread in the Polls forum, which is what I was reading more or less simultaneously when I read this thread:

"The problems with HG comic books as a safe/ stable investment are multi-faceted. This pressing thing is pretty bad and underscores a major problem. Why would someone pay $25,000 for a 10.00 ASM # 19 when in a few months, years another can be 'pressed' into existence. This creates MAJOR LEAGUE insecurity. How can a market stabilize and grow when the very supply of the commodities rarity is debatable ?"

"This comment has NOTHING to do with opinion, but the FACT that rampant pressing will have a LONG-TERM effect on the CENSUS and, in some cases (late-Silver, Bronze), high supplies+pressing will virtually flood the market with NM or higher copies."

I feel that if you're going to compare the 'scarcity' of HG SA vs. BA.....you should also compare the 'scarcity' of SA collectors to BA. poke2.gif

Now THAT's an interesting question. My guess is there are more SA collectors than BA collectors.

"This comment has NOTHING to do with opinion, but the FACT that rampant pressing will have a LONG-TERM effect on the CENSUS and, in some cases (late-Silver, Bronze), high supplies+pressing will virtually flood the market with NM or higher copies."

So you think that "high supplies+pressing" will NOT equate into higher Census number for NM comics for late-Silver and Bronze comics? screwy.gif

Now THAT's an interesting question. My guess is there are more SA collectors than BA collectors.

In terms of sheer numbers, there are more Bronze Age collectors (it's just demographics) but the Silver Age crowd has deeper pockets.

So you think that "high supplies+pressing" will NOT equate into higher Census number for NM comics for late-Silver and Bronze comics? screwy.gif

Just responding to Brad's request for they types of statements that I was referring to. confused-smiley-013.gif

Look, you don't need to pick a fight with me about the abundance of supply of HG late SA and BA. I totally agree with you on this point. In fact, I think the supply of these types of books is so high that I think pressing will have only an incremental impact on the census.

If I'm a big time dealer, is it easier for me to work my contacts and get all those HG copies sitting around, or spend all my time buying VFs and then pressing them one by one into a NM?

If I'm a big time dealer, is it easier for me to work my contacts and get all those HG copies sitting around, or spend all my time buying VFs and then pressing them one by one into a NM?

I totally agree, and pressing will only occur with books that are worth the $$$. Like I said before, this clean and press deal is not about the grade, but about how much money you can skim back on resale. Whether that's magically transforming a FF #1 7.5 into an 8.5, or a GL #76 9.2 into a 9.6, scammers are going to do it.

Because the pressing paranoia posse were arguing that no book is scarce in high grade, because lower grade copies can all be pressed up into minty fresh condition.

That"s BS Tim. BS to your use of the phrase "posse". BS to your inaccurate genralization. I refute what you say. Show me the link, please. What "posse" said that?

Your pal, Red

Whoa, easy there Brad. I'm on your side on this issue. I just think people have gotten carried away in what they think can be achieved through pressing. As Rhino says in this thread, you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Perhaps I should've used the term "Pressing is Capable of Transmogrifying Anything into a Minty Fresh Book Paranoia Posse", but then I lose the catchy phrase.

Anyways, to answer your question, here is just a sample of quotes from the "label chasers" thread in the Polls forum, which is what I was reading more or less simultaneously when I read this thread:

"The problems with HG comic books as a safe/ stable investment are multi-faceted. This pressing thing is pretty bad and underscores a major problem. Why would someone pay $25,000 for a 10.00 ASM # 19 when in a few months, years another can be 'pressed' into existence. This creates MAJOR LEAGUE insecurity. How can a market stabilize and grow when the very supply of the commodities rarity is debatable ?"

Sorry Tim, just a reaction to your choice of words .... the two statements you quoted above are far from saying that ... "no book is scarce in high grade, because lower grade copies can all be pressed up into minty fresh condition."

I think it's understood that we're only talking about particular candidates for [insert the dreaded P word].

flowerred.gif

I feel that if you're going to compare the 'scarcity' of HG SA vs. BA.....you should also compare the 'scarcity' of SA collectors to BA. poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And it won't affect Strange Tales at all cuz hardly anybody collected them -- who wants those crappy Ayers Torch stories? The only reason to collect them is for the handful of cool covers like 107 and 114 and the Ditko Dr. Strange stories....

Man, you guys are killing me for chosing Strange Tales. poke2.gif

All I know is when they hit the consignment sites, dealer sites or eBay in CGC 9.0 or better, they sell fast and at high prices.

A Strange Tales #105 in CGC 9.4 with Cream to Off-White pages just sold in Heritage's Auction for over 8 times guide. makepoint.gif

You guys don't love me anymore. 27_laughing.gif

interestingly, that books seller and I realized alomost the precise same net price for our 9.4 copies. while mine had much nicer PQ (ow/w), it sold 14 months ago.

the reality is, however, that someone paid 29% more for a lesser copy. despite the 14 month differential in sales dates, i'd still opine that the value of the book is on the upswing.............

said another way, if i'd waited 14 months for this buyer to come along, he'd probably have paid $4,000 for the better PQ..............that's about a 30% annual increase - not too shabby for a stupid old ST........... grin.gif

In terms of sheer numbers, there are more Bronze Age collectors (it's just demographics) but the Silver Age crowd has deeper pockets.

In full agreement with JC here.

Similarily, there are more SA collectors out there than GA collectors. The only difference being that GA collectors are willing to spend more money than SA collectors, who in turn are willing to spend more money than BA collectors.

Isn't it amazing how everything stays in balance.

Similarily, there are more SA collectors out there than GA collectors. The only difference being that GA collectors are willing to spend more money than SA collectors, who in turn are willing to spend more money than BA collectors.

I'm not sure of that.

The amount of money that is spent on SA books is amazing. While Heritage will sell more dollars worth of GA then SA, eBay and most consignment sites seem to sell a lot more SA books (and a lot more dollars worth).

Plus, from what I can tell, the biggest dollars spent on collections in the past few years have been SA. The big time GA collectors have had most of their books for decades.

I'm not sure of that.

The amount of money that is spent on SA books is amazing. While Heritage will sell more dollars worth of GA then SA, eBay and most consignment sites seem to sell a lot more SA books (and a lot more dollars worth).

Plus, from what I can tell, the biggest dollars spent on collections in the past few years have been SA. The big time GA collectors have had most of their books for decades.

Does GPA Analysis have a totals by year by time period (GA vs SA vs BA)? That would be a nice set of facts to have for a discussion like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does GPA Analysis have a totals by year by time period (GA vs SA vs BA)? That would be a nice set of facts to have for a discussion like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes we do - if you're a subscriber, take a look at our market reports: http://www.gpanalysis.com/Reports.aspx

I'm a subscriber and forgot all about that analysis. But hey, it proves my point (more SA sold then GA).

Thanks!!!!!!! acclaim.gif

Agreed because just about every SA collector is also a BA buyer but I don't think the same could be said for the reverse.

Yes we do - if you're a subscriber, take a look at our market reports: http://www.gpanalysis.com/Reports.aspx

I'm a subscriber and forgot all about that analysis. But hey, it proves my point (more SA sold then GA).

Thanks!!!!!!! acclaim.gif

Are there more SA items sold or is just more $$$ are spent on SA?

BTW, this doesn't prove the point about the number of collectors.