• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman thread show us yours
9 9

3,413 posts in this topic

Thanks. I'm taking it to #26 because most of the first 26 issues have more serious covers with heroic action shots or war covers. After #26 there is a trend towards more humorous gag-type covers (the joy-buzzer on #33, the barber breaking his scissors on Superman's hair on #38). But I may eventually extend my run to #30 to include Mr. Mxyzptlk's 1st appearance, or #32 to include the cool lightning cover.

Thanks. I'm taking it to #26 because most of the first 26 issues have more serious covers with heroic action shots or war covers. After #26 there is a trend towards more humorous gag-type covers (the joy-buzzer on #33, the barber breaking his scissors on Superman's hair on #38). But I may eventually extend my run to #30 to include Mr. Mxyzptlk's 1st appearance, or #32 to include the cool lightning cover.

Thats a good reason. I would do the same thing if i were collecting the beginning of the run. #26 seems like a good place to stop hm

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on what issues of Action would be described as war covers. Here are my thoughts and questions...

#10 - Superman disabling a plane in mid-flight. Are these bank robbers making their escape, or is this war related? Maybe someone who's read the story can chime in.

#11 - Appears to be a German U-boat being mowed over by a U.S. Destroyer.

#15 - Does the fact that the submarine says "U.S. Submarine" on the side make this cover war related?

#18 - Biplanes engaged in a dogfight. War related? I don't see any recognizable markings on the planes, so it's hard to tell.

#17, 19, 21, 31, 35, 39, & 40 all appear to show Superman intervening in the war in Europe. No swastikas to make it clear, but it seems obvious.

#34, 37, 55, and 58 are homefront war covers. #34 and 37 are saboteur covers, 55 shows Superman assisting in the war effort at home, and #58 is pure propaganda.

#43, 44, 48, 53, 54, 56, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 66, 76, and 86 are fully recognizable war covers.

#91 - I've never been able to figure this one out. It's a December issue, meaning it probably hit the stands in late October. Victory in Europe occurred the previous May, and the men shown clearly are not in uniform. Is this a post-war saboteur cover?

I think that covers all of them. Does anyone have any thoughts? :popcorn:

Yes, although I'm not sure I'll go after the early ones. I have a greater affinity for the covers where the enemy are clearly identified, rather than generic soldiers.

But it got me thinking, just which covers are war covers, and which ones are not?

Updated Superman group shots with several new books. :cloud9:

I'm getting close to my goal of 1 - 26 complete.

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

It has been amazing watching you assemble this run. Congrats Todd (worship)

Should be here in my hands tomorrow. LOVE the cover!!! :cloud9:

superman23cgc5_5.jpg

superman 23 was the first golden age superman title comic I ever bought (this after I had action 1-100)... bought via a cbg ad in 1992 for 250...it was a vg ...hasn't increased in value much in 20 years, but one of my favs!

superman23cgc5_5.jpg

superman 23 was the first golden age superman title comic I ever bought (this after I had action 1-100)... bought via a cbg ad in 1992 for 250...it was a vg ...hasn't increased in value much in 20 years, but one of my favs!

(thumbs u beer.gif

superman23cgc5_5.jpg

It arrived today and I'm holding it as we speak. Guess who's beyond thrilled!!! :headbang: