• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone else remember Unknown Worlds comic shop in Toronto?
2 2

47 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2024 at 4:00 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I'll never forget that massive collection he picked up circa 2001 from Buffalo - multiple copies each of ultra-high grade/uncirculated ASM 129, Hulk 181, GS X-Men 1, X-Men 94, tons of late 60's/early 70's Richie Rich, the complete run of GK Scooby Doo, more Marvel Giant Size books and DC 100 pagers than you can count, etc. 

I picked up several key books, but what I should have done was take out a Line of Credit. 

I might have given some of the DC 100 Page Super Spectaculars a glance but the rest I would have dismissed as common stuff that's everywhere.

xD

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2020 at 9:20 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Dragon Lady also opened a second location very briefly, in Mirvish Village, literally across the street from the Beguiling.

This was well after Dragon Lady moved from the north side of Queen Street West to the south side of College Avenue circa 1996 though.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:01 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The Snail's second location?  Actually, the opposite...it was on the second level of a retail location, and you had to take some steps up (8-10).

You're not thinking of the location on the east side of Yonge Street opposite the Eaton Centre to which Silver Snail moved circa 2012 , are you? That was upstairs.

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/10/2024 at 5:10 PM, Hepcat said:

This was well after Dragon Lady moved from the north side of Queen Street West to the south side of College Avenue circa 2000(?) though.

You're not thinking of the location on the east side of Yonge Street opposite the Eaton Centre to which Silver Snail moved circa 2010(?) , are you? That was upstairs.

???

The second Dragon Lady store across from the Beguiling - the date escapes me, but John was there for a very short time.  I don’t recall if it preceded his move to the College St location.

Regarding the Snail, the second Toronto location was on Yonge, North of Eglinton.  It was on the West side on Yonge, and you had to take a short flight (8-10) of steps up in order to get to the store.  George was assistant manager.

later, Ron closed down the Eglinton location, followed by the Ottawa store, before selling the Queen St location to George and his silent partner.  They stayed there a year, maybe two, before moving to a 2nd fl location on the East side of Yonge St, north of Dundas.  That location was a smaller space, less focused on back issues.  But it did have the Black Canary cafe, which was an interesting concept at the time…a cafe in a comic shop.

On 4/14/2020 at 9:49 PM, VintageComics said:

Now apparently THAT was a store. Some of the treasures that came through that place were apparently legendary but it was before my time in Kitchener.

Andy the former manager of Now And Then now runs Carry On Comics in Waterloo.

Now and Then was indeed a great store, and I got a lot of my silver age collection shopping there in the 80s when I went to the University of Waterloo.

But Andy never managed Now and Then; he only worked there as an employee.  Harry was the boss until his death.  After he died, a fan who had zero work ethic convinced some people to invest and buy the business.  He then ran it into the ground.

Posted (edited)
On 4/14/2020 at 9:49 PM, VintageComics said:

Now apparently THAT was a store. Some of the treasures that came through that place were apparently legendary but it was before my time in Kitchener.

On 5/11/2024 at 10:24 PM, Phicks said:

Now and Then was indeed a great store, and I got a lot of my silver age collection shopping there in the 80s when I went to the University of Waterloo.

Whenever I hear such reports I'm intrigued. But then it almost invariably turns out that the reporter was talking about Marvels and basically only Marvels. Was that the case at Now and Then as well?

What really intrigues me though is that I've heard of a big time Silver Age DC collector in Kitchener but I've never met him. Would that be Andy himself?

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/11/2024 at 10:28 PM, Phicks said:

BTW, the Silver Snail abandoned their upstairs location with the cafe, and has moved back to its original location on Queen St.

Not quite. It was previously at 367 Queen Street West. It's now a few blocks west at 809 Queen Street West.

Silver-Snail-2022-web-1-2048x1365.jpg

:wink: