• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 100-200 keys?
1 1

141 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2020 at 8:38 AM, Bird said:
On 4/12/2020 at 11:06 PM, shadroch said:

Lots of yellow means high demand. High demand makes keys.

this is what I do...scroll through the listings quickly and if a bunch of yellow pops up I stop and see what issue it is.

Ok, yellow it is! (thumbsu

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Anyone who wants to pretend Batman 227 isn't a key book isn't worth arguing with. 

:screwy: The issue is only in high demand because of the cover, which isn't even really original (swipe of 'Tec 31)! Batman 232 is a key. Batman 251 is a key. Batman 227 is valuable because of a popular cover.

15 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

KEY ISSUE. An important issue in a comic book title's run.

according to cgcs glossary

(thumbsu

Yes, an important issue. Not an issue with a popular cover. Not an issue with crossover appeal (guest writer/artist/character). Not any random issue that has some value.

10 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Block Mr negativity

He only is here to stir sh#@

We don't require any input from anybody who lives in the (false) past and thinks that first prints are reprints, thanks!

BTW, you earlier acknowledged that 119-120 (for example) are not keys despite selling for a premium, so do you even know what side you're on? (shrug)

They are comic books. None of them are important in the overall scheme of things. 

If someone is putting together a Batman run, then 227 is important.  A book no one wants isn't a key, no matter how many first anythings might be in it. On the other hand, a book everyone wants is a key book.

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

They are comic books. None of them are important in the overall scheme of things. 

True, but we're not talking about the grand scheme here.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

If someone is putting together a Batman run, then 227 is important.

For somebody putting together a Batman run, every book is important! You can't have a run without every issue (at least within whatever parameters you're using for the run).

hm

:idea: Every issue is key!

7 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Nor should the concept of words having multiple accepted definitions, mister self appointed master of the English language. You posted your definition from the site you feel supports your definition. Another poster did the same and the definition was slightly different.

Maybe you should have actually bothered to look closely at that post. I posted a link to dictionary.com, since key issue is obviously derived from one of the definitions of the actual word. I also posted a shot from the OPG. The definition ADAMANTIUM posted from CGC's glossary does not contradict what I've said at all.

Different relevant sources may use different wording, but there are no "multiple accepted definitions" of key (for comics). Any random clown can make up some garbage and try to redefine a word, but that doesn't make it accepted.

Edited by Lazyboy

Just now, Lazyboy said:

Maybe you should have actually bothered to look closely at that post. I posted a link to dictionary.com, since key issue is obviously derived from one of the definitions of the actual word. I also posted a shot from the OPG. The definition ADAMANTIUM posted from CGC's glossary does not contradict what I've said at all.

Different relevant sources may use different wording, but there are no "multiple accepted definitions" of key (for comics). Any random clown can make up some garbage and try to redefine a word, but that doesn't make it accepted.

Still haven't licked that icicle eh. Sigh, what can ya do?

On CGC's case, they denote a book like Batman #227 as a "Classic cover"

Classic...defined as a work of art of recognized and established value. The book is a work of art....that people appreciate. As per a key comic, it contains "artistically important  features considered especially desirable by collectors. 

So it is a key. Not noted as such or bound by one word but rather a menagerie of lexical links that ultimately still reach the same conclusion...a book people want, pay up for and are proud to share with fellow collectors because they are all great books! Whether ya call em keys, classics, first appearances....they are all beautiful old paper!

Edited by comicginger1789

9 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

On CGC's case, they denote a book like Batman #227 as a "Classic cover"

Classic...defined as a work of art of recognized and established value. The book is a work of art....that people appreciate. As per a key comic, it contains "artistically important  features considered especially desirable by collectors. 

So it is a key. Not noted as such or bound by one word but rather a menagerie of lexical links that ultimately still reach the same conclusion...a book people want, pay up for and are proud to share with fellow collectors because they are all great books! Whether ya call em keys, classics, first appearances....they are all beautiful old paper!

:facepalm: Popularity and importance are not the same thing.

Also, your posts seem to imply that I'm somehow being negative towards non-keys that people like. That's not the case at all. They just aren't keys and people shouldn't be referring to them as such. There are lots of issues I love that aren't keys and may or may not have much value.

How does Batman #227 not fit your definition though?

14 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm: Popularity and importance are not the same thing.

Also, your posts seem to imply that I'm somehow being negative towards non-keys that people like. That's not the case at all. They just aren't keys and people shouldn't be referring to them as such. There are lots of issues I love that aren't keys and may or may not have much value.

How does the cover of Batman #227 not qualify as an "artistically important feature considered especially desirable by collectors"?

Your definition of key seems very bound by www.dictionary.com which seems rigid. Step outside, Mr. A, and into the grey. No need to dwell in such a world of black and white.

A key to me and many (and correct me fellow boardies if this is wrong), is any comic that is desired above others for any reason. Art, story, character, cover...whatever. It could be a key first appearance, a key moment in a character's history, a key cover, a key story by a notable author. If it is desired more compared to other issues that preceed it or follow it for some reason and tends to always be missing as one flips through a longbox (Logan's run 4, 5 annnnd 7...drat) then it has some sort of key status. 

Just now, comicginger1789 said:

Your definition of key seems very bound by www.dictionary.com which seems rigid. Step outside, Mr. A, and into the grey. No need to dwell in such a world of black and white.

A key to me and many (and correct me fellow boardies if this is wrong), is any comic that is desired above others for any reason. Art, story, character, cover...whatever. It could be a key first appearance, a key moment in a character's history, a key cover, a key story by a notable author.

You win. Words mean nothing. Every book is key! Hurray!

babel.jpg.8cd9311fc6e5fe52acbd278cb69105b7.jpg

17 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

If it is desired more compared to other issues that preceed it or follow it for some reason and tends to always be missing as one flips through a longbox (Logan's run 4, 5 annnnd 7...drat) then it has some sort of key status.

Do you know why the "Books you just cant find in the Wild" thread has the title it does rather than being called "The key issues thread" (or something similar)? Because they are not the same thing!

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

You win. Words mean nothing. Every book is key! Hurray!

babel.jpg.8cd9311fc6e5fe52acbd278cb69105b7.jpg

Do you know why the "Books you just cant find in the Wild" thread has the title it does rather than being called "The key issues thread" (or something similar)? Because they are not the same thing!

I know you are scrambling for an answer about Batman 227. It’s ok. You can just let it go.

Also I don’t think the book you selected is a key. Is it collected or sought after for any reason other than a completionist putting together a run? If it is, then I am wrong :)

12 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I know you are scrambling for an answer about Batman 227. It’s ok. You can just let it go.

It's a popular cover. That's all it is, and it wasn't even that for most of its existence until this forum made it so.

12 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Also I don’t think the book you selected is a key. Is it collected or sought after for any reason other than a completionist putting together a run? If it is, then I am wrong :)

Once again, you've missed the point. However, that issue, along with the rest of the story, has recently been selling better (in both price and volume) than surrounding issues. According to that misguided point of view, it is key.

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It's a popular cover. That's all it is, and it wasn't even that for most of its existence until this forum made it so.

Once again, you've missed the point. However, that issue, along with the rest of the story, has recently been selling better (in both price and volume) than surrounding issues. According to that misguided point of view, it is key.

Also by your definition, Marvel Premiere 35 is a key book. Contains first appearance of 3-D man.

Im merely suggesting there are flaws in your definition perhaps as much as in mine:)

Practically tons of sales compared to Marvel Premiere 34 and 36. Contains first appearance. People buy it. Must be a key!

Also your definition does not define first appearance, origin or what is meant by artistic or historically important feature. Nor does it define desirable. 

All of these are open to interpretation hence why your original definition is also open to interpretation. What is desirable to you is not necessarily desirable to me. What I consider a first appearance may differ from you. What I consider historically significant you may not.

So why can’t they all just be called key. If they are generally desired more than others :) 

16 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Also by your definition, Marvel Premiere 35 is a key book. Contains first appearance of 3-D man.

Im merely suggesting there are flaws in your definition perhaps as much as in mine:)

The definition I posted (in the image) is from The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, which, for better or worse, has been one of the most influential sources in the hobby for decades. If you have any problems with that definition, take it up with Bob.

Ultimately, keys are important issues regardless of exactly how any relevant, reliable source words a definition they provide. Of course, that's relative and not all keys are of equal importance (obviously nothing else measures up to Action Comics 1). But they still aren't just random issues with popular covers, crossover appeal, value, etc.