• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which comics you should get graded...

7 posts in this topic

I personally was wanting to have all my issues in my personal collection graded, for preservation and presentation. Although I watched a YouTube video explaining why not all your comics are “worthy” of this. Thoughts and opinions on this? 

4 hours ago, Calliekins23 said:

I personally was wanting to have all my issues in my personal collection graded, for preservation and presentation. Although I watched a YouTube video explaining why not all your comics are “worthy” of this. Thoughts and opinions on this? 

Hi

You can preserve comics just as well or even better by simply using mylar and acid-free backing boards.  Slabbed or not,   the proper environment with respect to temperature humidity and light is very important.

That will be much cheaper then getting them slabbed.

I agree that they have a nice look in a slab although you obviously can never take them out again.  The remarks about being 'Worthy' compare the total cost for submitting to CGC (shipping ,insurance , cgc fees ETC) vs the value of a comic for the grade you receive.

That can swing over time up or down so there's no guarantee that the value of a slabbed comic today will hold by the time you wish the sell.  

You can certainly preserve them the less expensive way and always slab them later if you have an intent to sell.

if money is not a major concern there's nothing to keep you from slabbing everything you want to.

Good luck.

Edited by csaag
typo

Honestly it depends on a million things, although one big factor is money and value.

but in these times, if you can afford it spend your money and throw it into the economy, i say do it 

Edited by revat

I have wrestled with the idea of getting my books graded. But since I don't care about flipping or selling them, I am not bothering. I feel you can preserve a comic just as well by properly bagging, boarding, and storing upright in a good location as you can by slabbing. Plus, I can still read mine. Slabbing, to me, is for people intent on making money. Or people who just like covers and keys and have prefer to read digitally or through omnibuses. If I sell my collection right now, I am making money or at the worst case scenario, breaking even. For me, that would be good enough. I get that I could take the time and have about 300-500 of my more key and valuable books slabbed to get more but the time to do that is daunting and still expensive. 

So while I appreciate slabbing, and I enjoy the hell out of grading myself and comparing my grades with CGCs, I don't get my PC books graded. I don't view my comics as in investment first (they still will be in the end...unless superheroes go the way of the Western in the next couple decades). I love to read, flip through and physically handle my books from time to time. I like to smell that newsprint. I like seeing the signatures inside, or the double cover, or the MJ insert or the full page poster or interior pin up. You just don't get that with a graded book. You get a front cover (and technically a back but no one really cares about that unless it is a sweet wraparound cover). So at the end of the day, that is why I will be unlikely to ever slab my personal collection. Because a comic book is so much more and I am not at the stage where I enjoy reading old paper on a digital screen. 

Edited by comicginger1789