• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offered for sale - the single most important collectible in the history of the hobby!
6 6

150 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, nochips said:

This sounds like a Danny Dupchek sale! Just sayin.......

I met Danny Dupchek. I went to Danny Dupchek's store once. I and I, sir, am no Danny Dupchek.

5 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Bags were $3.00 per 100 in the early 1970's.

We sell 100 bags now for $5.99.

They really haven't gone up that much over the years, especially in comparison to the comics they were made for. Those sold for .20 cents then, $3.99 and up now.

And before anyone says, "This one bag is $5.00!" Remember, that is the price shipped. And $7.00 of the $5.00 sale price is the shipping costs.

I remember the price of bags seemed a bit prohibitive back then, and most inexpensive comics were sold without bags at conventions. $3.00 for 100 bags, you could buy 15 comic books for that. I'm guessing if bags were $45 for 100 today, not too many people would bag their moderns. 

Danny’s store was like 100 square feet, plus a back room where the magic happened.

as for the Bell bags, Rich yours looks like a first printing.  I have a bunch of the other version posted.  What do I Win?  And funny enough, every book I removed from them after decades was still in great shape.  Unlike so many other bags through the ages. 

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

I met Danny Dupchek. I went to Danny Dupchek's store once. I and I, sir, am no Danny Dupchek.

That store was maybe 2 miles from me...you could have at least visited me. I'm pretty sure I got ALL my bags and boards there, but except for the Death of Superman and Batman breaking his back, no comics.

3 hours ago, JollyComics said:

What was your impression of his store?

It was very small.

1 hour ago, telerites said:

I got screwed by Dupdork :cry:

Was it good for you, too?

9 minutes ago, telerites said:
56 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Was it good for you, too?

871be8f0676de6ba477ca5733454ec84.jpg

It was bad enough losing money on the books I ever got but long distance calling back then was pricey. 

I bought a TTA 57 NM File Copy from him out of a CBG ad - I was really excited to get it, but when I did, it was so obviously manipulated (the whole spine line was recolored in, in heavy black ink) I sent it right back for a full refund.

Just now, lizards2 said:

I bought a TTA 57 NM File Copy from him out of a CBG ad - I was really excited to get it, but when I did, it was so obviously manipulated (the whole spine line was recolored in, in heavy black ink) I sent it right back for a full refund.

Did you get the refund?  I  never could get him to answer or return my call.  I wasn't going to send the books back and lose the money and the books.  One was Mystery Men Comics #4 - edges trimmed, CT and tear seal.  I still have it after 30 some odd years and actually had it graded.  Still love the Fine cover.

34 minutes ago, telerites said:
43 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Did you get the refund?  I  never could get him to answer or return my call.  I wasn't going to send the books back and lose the money and the books.  One was Mystery Men Comics #4 - edges trimmed, CT and tear seal.  I still have it after 30 some odd years and actually had it graded.  Still love the Fine cover.

Yes - I got the money back, but I noticed the monkey-business as soon as I opened up the package - the book looked unnatural. 

He had big ads in CBG back then - a little less than 30 years ago - maybe 28? 29?

They were the Easter Color Proof/File copies.  I can't seem to locate the exact ad on the interwebs, but their are plenty of examples out there.

If I remember correctly, it looked quite a bit like this one:

Fantazia Ad circa October 19, 1990 - Comics General - CGC Comic ...

Seeing that Hawkman #1 brings back another memory, but from another dealer, that I bought around 1986/1987 - E.R. Stockton, I think. It wasn't until years later that I noticed it was CT.

But I believe I only paid about $25 at the time.  Finally replaced it a couple years ago, to the tune of $1500.