• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offered for sale - the single most important collectible in the history of the hobby!
6 6

150 posts in this topic

Charles is still selling supplies.

I ran into him at Ken Dybers store Cloud 9 in Portland, OR

He lives in Central Oregon and still (was)  delivering up and down the Northern west coast. We chatted for about a half hour or so talking about the old days at his warehouse in the peninsula of the Bay Area. Great guy and lots of stories to tell. One item I remember buying a stack of was the signed Wally Woods "Weird- Sex Fantasy"

Awesome plates. Kind of pricey though....whopping $10.00 apiece. I believe I bought about 9 or 10.🤗🐒😷

IMG_2069.JPG

Leave it to Bedrock to start a thread about comic bags and have it turn into a thread about the infamous DD.

Talk about a serious derailment.  lol

As for the store in question...In 1989, after seeing the awesome looking ads in the OSPG, I called and asked him about one of the books in the photo.  He told me it was still available and thus I made the trip (drive) across a few states (with my then girlfriend - who soon after became my wife), to visit his store.  As has already been stated, the store was tiny, however, it had an unbelievable stash of comics.  The wall behind the cash register looked like a collection of the OSPG's 100 Most Valuable Golden Age Books (including the book I was looking for).  I will refrain from commenting on the owner and his "demeanor" (my mother often told me something about what to do if you didn't have anything nicd to say).   While there, I was offered a beautiful looking copy of Action Comics #1 for a mere $23K (which at that time might as well have been $1,000.000).  I took a quick pass on the Action 1 (after drooling significatly I am sure).  In the end, I purchased the one book I had come there for and I paid the full asking price (which I still own).  Of course, as one person said (eralier in the thread), it may have been better for those who actually went to the store, than for those who ordered via the mail.  IDK.

Just my 2 cents and experience from days long ago....

1 hour ago, JollyComics said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Yeah - I'm pretty sure I might have couple stashed in the old catalog box, up on top of the comic box towers...., 

Whenever you have time, show us his old catalog.  It would be very interesting.

Holy Carp!  Look what treasure I found, buried in the catalog box!  I hit the motherlode of lost/forgotten stuff!

The requested catalogs.  I apparently ripped the covers off some old ones that I liked.

image.png.8e818e0b1a4f258b29cab1848c2a35c2.png

Here is the comic bag page:

image.png.680fb6ab2d470ff53eeaac71290f2e41.png

Some old Diamond gallery catalogs, including the one I bought Baby Huey #2 from.  Wish I had bought them all. I apparently did not save the one I bought #1 from, but there was a 10% off letter included in this catalog.

image.png.0b96f026b6d5f67abdc5f463ebbea553.png

image.png.b2db9bdbabdf41d2a408be8f8867e41f.png

Under the catalogs were all these magazines, graphic novels, etc.

image.thumb.png.24798e939394a0df61cbdee4f7761315.png

And, two Judge Dredd "No Smoking" signs:

image.thumb.png.add277fc59b019b551a3b2984c505662.png

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 2:45 PM, MrBedrock said:

The Robert Bell Bag!

yes, offered today, and today only, one complete, slightly used Robert Bell Bag! These bags were first offered for sale through comics in the 1960s. They were the first mass marketed comic book protection supply. The beautiful packaging, the elegant design, the high quality construction all blended to create an iconic item beloved by millions! And remembered fondly to this day.

Unfortunately, few examples of the Robert Bell Bag remain, and their numbers are dwindling.Lucky for you we were able to procure this specimen while grading and pricing a box of back issues while on quarantine.

And it can be yours for $5 shipped! Only one available! Don't delay!!!!

bellbag01.jpeg

bellbag02.jpeg

bellbag03.jpeg

bellbag04.jpeg

bellbag05.jpeg

I take 10 Mr B

5 minutes ago, Cobbledclam said:

Some  of the best preserved comics in older collections I've picked up have been in Robert Bell bags. They get very rubbery and yellowish but unless compromised by other factors the books remain tight and white.🍔🐇

My theory is that the comic books turn the bags yellow.  I came to this conclusion after observations like you have above, and after finding an unopened bag of unused bags that had been stored away for 20+ years, and finding the bags white, clear and like new.

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

I take 10 Mr B

If I had 10 they would be yours, Harold! I have some Jack Daniels for you in the meantime. 

Just now, Cobbledclam said:

Just finished pouring a schniglit of said hooligan juice as I sat back down to peruse,🥃🙏🏼

IMG_2107.JPG

yum..., plastic cups.  I like your style...., or lack thereof.