• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Offered for sale - the single most important collectible in the history of the hobby!
6 6

150 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:

Scarsdale and Hartsdale are right next door to each other, so that would be the Hartsdale Station. 

Sweet, senility has yet to set in!

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Actually the bigger travails happened after I left his store. For some reason I had it in my head that either Danny had invited me to stay at his place or he had a hotel or something set up for me. Neither were the case. I had spent most of the day going through boxes, looking for resto, comparing prices, figuring out which combination of books would work best. It was dark when I finished and we finalized the deal Danny had closed the store. There was this kind of awkward moment when I realized I didn't have a place to stay. I walked a couple of blocks up the street and stayed at the first motel I found. A pretty seedy motel. A no-tell motel. There was activity going on all night, if you get my meaning. I was a little scared that someone would bust into my room and rob me of my new comics.

Yikes!  Now this is a story for the grandkids.  Well, maybe not the last part

Actually the bigger travails happened after I left his store. For some reason I had it in my head that either Danny had invited me to stay at his place or he had a hotel or something set up for me. Neither were the case. I had spent most of the day going through boxes, looking for resto, comparing prices, figuring out which combination of books would work best. It was dark when I finished and we finalized the deal Danny had closed the store. There was this kind of awkward moment when I realized I didn't have a place to stay. I walked a couple of blocks up the street and stayed at the first motel I found. A pretty seedy motel. A no-tell motel. There was activity going on all night, if you get my meaning. I was a little scared that someone would bust into my room and rob me of my new comics.

It's a lifetime adventure.

There were 3 stores in the area, his if I remember correctly was the one on the "4 Corners" on the turn and there was no parking or very little. I thought he was also involved in a bigger store, Dragon's Den down the road, but I might be mistaken. There was only one seedy hotel in the area on Central Ave, so that must have been where  you were. If you had walked towards the train station instead you would have been in one of the ritziest areas in Westchester, billionaire's row or something like that, no motels/hotels that I recall in that area.

2 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

There were 3 stores in the area, his if I remember correctly was the one on the "4 Corners" on the turn and there was no parking or very little. I thought he was also involved in a bigger store, Dragon's Den down the road, but I might be mistaken. There was only one seedy hotel in the area on Central Ave, so that must have been where  you were. If you had walked towards the train station instead you would have been in one of the ritziest areas in Westchester, billionaire's row or something like that, no motels/hotels that I recall in that area.

That local is no where to be found not even the seedy motel can be found.  The time has changed drastically.

2078150069_ScreenShot2020-04-28at4_35_43PM.thumb.png.493ad4b19cf7aabd41e26adcccce3d43.png

Abar was great because he produced bags in so many sizes. I would have to look up who it is that bought him out, but we still order paperback book, digest, treasury and Life magazine size bags from them.

It seems like Bud Plant stocked a lot of this stuff, but I have no idea if he is still in business.  I used to send in a $100 order for books and carp every time he issued a new catalog.

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:
7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

It seems like Bud Plant stocked a lot of this stuff, but I have no idea if he is still in business.  I used to send in a $100 order for books and carp every time he issued a new catalog.

Did you keep them?  :wishluck:

Yeah - I'm pretty sure I might have couple stashed in the old catalog box, up on top of the comic box towers...., 

33 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I might have been less traumatized by sleeping on some ritzy person's lawn.

31 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

That local is no where to be found not even the seedy motel can be found.  The time has changed drastically.

2078150069_ScreenShot2020-04-28at4_35_43PM.thumb.png.493ad4b19cf7aabd41e26adcccce3d43.png

Something terrible happened there. Are those ghost cars? They look like they melted into the pavement! :whatthe:

28 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Abar was great because he produced bags in so many sizes. I would have to look up who it is that bought him out, but we still order paperback book, digest, treasury and Life magazine size bags from them.

Bud is still around. He sells online. No wholesale though. He is one of the nicest guys in the hobby.

4 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I might have been less traumatized by sleeping on some ritzy person's lawn.

I once went to an "estate  sale" at Bill Goodman's house, it was about a mile on the other side of the train station. I went with my mom, she bought me some wooden folding chairs she said I "needed". I couldn't imagine why? Used them all the time.

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

Here is one of the houses up the road, you could have slept on the lawn...but there are nicer ones, lol.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17-Heathcote-Rd-Scarsdale-NY-10583/33095462_zpid/

Reminds me of Billy Parker's guest house.

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:
5 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Reminds me of Billy Parker's guest house.

It looks safer.

It is. No Billy Parker.