• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

People on Comic Covers Who Look Like Famous People. Or in Them. When They're Not Really Supposed to Be Them. Probably.
4 4

153 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2020 at 12:29 PM, Robot Man said:

I have from a VERY reliable source that Elvis’s original childhood comic collection is still boxed up in the attic at Graceland. Can you even imagine the buzz if this pedigree collection ever came to market? 

If that's true I'm glad Nicholas Cage didn't get his mitts on them when he was married to The King's (not Kirby's) daughter!  :wink:  In 1970, Elvis was named one of the Ten Outstanding Young Men by the United States Junior Chamber, or the Jaycees. It was the only award he ever accepted in person, and it was the only award he carried with him every where he went for the rest of his life.  Here's the acceptance speech. 

When I was a child, ladies and gentlemen, I was a dreamer.
I read comic books, and I was the hero of the comic book. I saw movies, and I
Was the hero in the movie.So every dream I ever dreamed has come true a hundred
Times. These gentlemen over there, these are the type who care, are dedicated.
You realize if it's not possible that they might be building the kingdom,
It's not far-fetched from reality. I'd like to say that I learned
Very early in life that:
'Without a song the day would never end
Without a song a man ain't got a friend
Without a song the road would never bend
Without a song...'
So I keep singing a song.
Good night.
Thank you.

I am surprised nobody mentioned this yet but Astérix is notorious for using famous people's caricature for bit players in the albums. I will spare you those who are most likely to be known only to French people but a few well-known stars made the cut. The people selected ranged from movie stars to pro-athletes to other cartoonists.

First up, Kirk Douglas -

asterix-kirk-douglas.jpg