• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Incredible Hulk
3 3

321 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Marvel Super-Heroes 55.jpg

lol For years I thought I had misplaced my TTA #101 until I pulled my copy of MSH :tonofbricks:

:news: I never owned a 101 :ohnoez:

On 5/22/2023 at 11:27 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Wonder why they felt the need to redraw Hulks face for this version of the cover? Was it John Romita meddling again, as art director?

Your guess is as good as mine, but Romita was responsible for creating a unified look to the main characters, so perhaps he felt or was told to retouch it.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:10 PM, ninanina said:

From what I can remember the Hulk stories were pretty repetitive. Many revolved around Ross throwing everything he had against him including infantry, tanks and whatever else was available. This was after all the days of the Hulk just wanting to be left alone. Every once in awhile, they would introduce characters like the Abomination or the Leader to change things up a bit, but with a character who can only punch his way out of a situation, I guess there's only so much you can do. Not saying I didn't enjoy reading them, but I do remember several other titles of that time offering so much more as far as content. IMO the stories got way more interesting when the "Hulk Smash" Hulk became more than a one dimensional character. But yeah, there were some good characters introduced that worked well with the character which helped change up the never on going battle between Hulk and Ross.

I remember when Marvel had tried everything to boost flagging sales and nothing worked. Finally, they had a couple of months where NOBODY wrote into their letters page. Luckily, Peter David - who had been working in the Marketing Dept - through them a pitch they liked and, paired with newcomer Todd McFarlane, the Inc. Hulk fast became one of Marvel's top sellers. And people wrote into their letters page again.

I recently was able to attend an open house at @Superworld physical location which, as I said to Ted, I felt I was walking on hallowed ground.

Picked up these beauties while I was there.

IMG_9684.JPG.c1ca322eebb75de8fe58524688dbe949.JPG

IMG_9685.JPG.ee1906a64f87c6a528d45220a93cb58a.JPG

IMG_9686.JPG.ad2f38b98eea27d5fc8dc9d8f96a1c5d.JPG