• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

​​​​​​​WE HAVE A WINNER - SEE FIRST POST - GA Artist May Madness
8 8

326 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Frazetta is the better artist, but he doesn’t scream out “golden age comics” like schomburg. And I can’t go with you on the “overrated”

For me it’s a case of hype (like too much air time for a song e.g Smells Like Teen Spirit).

49 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
54 minutes ago, piper said:

Schomburg is overrated. I’m voting for Wood in protest of Frazetta being ousted.

Frazetta is the better artist, but he doesn’t scream out “golden age comics” like schomburg. And I can’t go with you on the “overrated”

Yeah, for me I think Frazetta is a much better artist, but Schomburg is the quintessential GA artist.  Frazetta (much like Wood this round) is much more of an Atom Age/Silver Age artist to me.

(Plus if you make the cut-off as October '56 Frazetta has fewer than 30 covers he did)

Edited by thunsicker

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

What was the score in Wood v. Everett?  I'm surprised Wood won.  For his style of art, he's not even in my top 2 of EC artists.

The bracket is hard to read and I posted it somewhere in here.  Wood 13 - Everett 4 - very few voted in that round.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

Yeah, for me I think Frazetta is a much better artist, but Schomburg is the quintessential GA artist.  Frazetta (much like Wood this round) is much more of an Atom Age/Silver Age artist to me.

(Plus if you make the cut-off as October '56 Frazetta has fewer than 30 covers he did)

After the balls-up I made in a previous round, I decided to focus on greatest relevance to the Golden Age period of the 30s and 40s, and went with Schomburg.  I had the same reasoning for going against Frazetta, a creator having much more notable work in the 50s.  I feel that Frazetta is so revered here that even if he drew stick figures his style would still be adored as 'genius, artistic minimalism'.  Seriously though, of course he's a brilliant artist, but for me he'd have a much stronger position in a pre-Code playoff.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, piper said:

Schomburg is overrated. I’m voting for Wood in protest of Frazetta being ousted.

I disagree with the opinion that Schomburg is overrated, but respect your viewpoint.  Even Stan Lee recognized that Alex was the best or very nearly the best at what he did.  

Frazetta was a superb illustrator and painter, among the very best commercial artists to ever touch pen to paper or brush to canvas.  Wood was also one of the all time greats.  However, neither artist did his best work in the GA, presuming the GA had pretty much withered away by the early 50’s.  Keep in mind that I’m a huge fan of the talents of Williamson, Frazetta and Wood, starting in the early 50’s through the 60’s.  Conversely, it seems fair to say that artists like Schomburg, Fine, Crandall, Raboy, Eisner, Kirby and the two unrelated Coles were among the front line creative talents of that bygone GA era.  

I’ve always felt that making well reasoned, logical decisions provides greater long term satisfaction than protest voting.  Examples come to mind, but they’re not directly applicable to conducting a poll for best artist in the GA category.  In all honesty, it’s doubtful that my opinion will sway anyone’s vote, but I felt this needed to be said anyway.  

Now it’s time for a beer!

:tink:

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:
30 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

(thumbsu

:whatthe:  :cry:

:bigsmile::cloud9::hi:

Edited by MrBedrock

7 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I was stunned that Frazetta made it so far. I know he has many fans based on his later work, but he didn't do very many GA covers.

11 hours ago, telerites said:

The bracket is hard to read and I posted it somewhere in here.  Wood 13 - Everett 4 - very few voted in that round.

I was watching this thread and never saw the Everett vs. Wood vote announcement...what page in the thread is the announcement on?

11 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

What was the score in Wood v. Everett?  I'm surprised Wood won.  For his style of art, he's not even in my top 2 of EC artists.

That's only because all of the Everett hackers got booted into the sin bin after the Everett vs. Fine debacle.  :gossip: