• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Norman, is that you?
4 4

123 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Wow! Just love this one. I was looking through the Bookery pulp guide and I hadn't realized just how active Saunders had been drawing pulp covers.

Thanks T.

Yes, he was quite prolific in the pulp arena. As i was doing internet research on Pulps i kept coming across more covers that i loved and would love to acquire and realized many of them were by Mr. Saunders.

Hopefully i'll be bumping this Thread again (and again :D )

On 5/12/2020 at 5:42 PM, Robot Man said:

Apparently, not all River City books from the '50's have markings. Just bought this one from Jay and A-! about a month ago. Saunders KKK cover and unusual origin of the Invisible Boy. Actually a much better book than most people think.

cominvisibleboy.jpg

CGC continues to be hit or miss on properly labeling Approved Comics. The Approved 2 is correctly labeled, but the Approved 5 is incorrectly labeled Flyboy 1. Given the Approved 5 was graded last August, you'd think they'd be on top of this by now. 

IMG_0687.jpeg

00972202350000114111383006.jpeg

On 2/28/2023 at 9:21 PM, ThothAmon said:

Know it’s not Saunders but they mislabeled this one also. It’s actually Approved Comics 6. I was too lazy to send it back. 

70D102D0-D210-47A9-AFD1-067DBC9B10F8.jpeg

It's better than Saunders, it's the sainted Matt Baker!

Edited by Sqeggs

May be significant that the "Approved Comics" stands out on the Invisible Boy because it's in white print against a dark background. On the Flyboy and Daring Adventures, the Approved Comics is less visible because it's in black type against a dark background.

Still, you'd think the graders would take greater care. The actual Flyboy 1 has a Saunders cover, was from a different publisher (Ziff-Davis, not St John), and was published three years earlier. Apart from that ...

• Administrator
On 2/28/2023 at 9:29 PM, Sqeggs said:

May be significant that the "Approved Comics" stands out on the Invisible Boy because it's in white print against a dark background. On the Flyboy and Daring Adventures, the Approved Comics is less visible because it's in black type against a dark background.

Still, you'd think the graders would take greater care. The actual Flyboy 1 has a Saunders cover, was from a different publisher (Ziff-Davis, not St John), and was published three years earlier. Apart from that ...

Mislabeled books can now be sent back and fixed for free.  No time limit from the grade date.  We will also pay shipping both ways. Select the mechanical error on the submission form.  A prepaid shipping label will automatically be sent to you through our website (not by e-mail) If you do send any back, I would be very specific as to what the problem is. I would also hand write the problem(s) on the packing slip.  I noticed some didn't even note the artist.  Also, note correct title, issue number and publisher where applicable. 

On 2/28/2023 at 9:38 PM, CGC Mike said:

Mislabeled books can now be sent back and fixed for free.  No time limit from the grade date.  We will also pay shipping both ways. Select the mechanical error on the submission form.  A prepaid shipping label will automatically be sent to you through our website (not by e-mail) If you do send any back, I would be very specific as to what the problem is. I would also hand write the problem(s) on the packing slip.  I noticed some didn't even note the artist.  Also, note correct title, issue number and publisher where applicable. 

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Your misses are infrequent but two St John '50s series are particularly prone to them: Approved Comics and Blue Ribbon Comics. In both cases, St John splashed the title of the contents at the top of the cover where almost always you'd expect to find the title of the book. Presumably, he was using those series for tryouts as DC did the Showcase series. 

On 3/1/2023 at 2:07 PM, Sqeggs said:

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Your misses are infrequent but two St John '50s series are particularly prone to them: Approved Comics and Blue Ribbon Comics. In both cases, St John splashed the title of the contents at the top of the cover where almost always you'd expect to find the title of the book. Presumably, he was using those series for tryouts as DC did the Showcase series. 

What do the indicias say? I thought CGC used that data for the label rather than the cover title.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:59 PM, AJD said:

What do the indicias say? I thought CGC used that data for the label rather than the cover title.

Yes, I think that's rub. I believe the indicias say Flyboy, Daring Adventure, and so on. Curious because you would think to avoid the post office reading the indicia and seeing the book as apparently a new series and asking for a deposit, St John would have put Approved Comics or Blue Ribbon Comics in the indicia. But maybe he wasn't selling mail subs for these books, so it wouldn't come up.

An experienced GA grader should be alert for books from these two series, but maybe that's asking too much given the volume of books they have to grade.