• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small comic book publishers (Brookwood, Sun, Worth, Hawley, Hyper, etc.)
1 1

111 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

Despite the CGC label saying Harvey, the indicia states Worth Publishing as the publisher of this comic book. 

Champion 2.JPG

I think Worth Carnahan/Publishing and Harvey are often lumped together on the basis of Harvey continuing Champion Comics with Champ Comics, though they were apparently distinct from each other. It’s the same case with Brookwood’s Speed Comics too.

Edited by Electricmastro

1 hour ago, Electricmastro said:

I think Worth Carnahan/Publishing and Harvey are often lumped together on the basis of Harvey continuing Champion Comics with Champ Comics, though they were apparently distinct from each other. It’s the same case with Brookwood’s Speed Comics too.

I agree. There's an article in Comic Book Marketplace, issue 70 I believe (same issue as Jon Berk's awesome Larson article), which is a small interview with Carnahan's daughter. She helped shed some light on the ashcans as well as some preliminary magazine covers. I'd bet Carnahan just quietly sold his interests to Harvey when he exited the industry. An early pioneer who never really gets much mention. 

Added Albrecht Publishing Company, J. Edward Slavin, Brown Shoe Co., Able Manufacturing, Service Publishing Co., Trans-World Publications, Captain Silver Syndicate, Inc., Bimfort, Inc, Jay-Jay Corporation, Commodore Productions & Artists, Inc., Reston Publications, and Swat Malone Enterprises to the list.

This is the 2nd one and this one is so hard to find, back in the 90's Michelle Nolan, the rare comic sleuth for CBM magazine requested someone to show a picture of this and someone did but mine is the only one I have seen in person and mine is missing a half a page on one page. BOth of these books are in the Overstreet.

Image (14).jpg