• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Empire Comics on Titus in Irondequoit NY?

12 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Mr. Indicia said:

Does anyone have pictures of Empire Comics in Irondequoit NY?  Especially inside.  It was at 621 Titus Ave just down the street from the House of Guitars.

I used to go there every Saturday back in the 1970's when I was a kid.  

I have not found much on the place on the internet.   A newspaper article and an advertisement were the most significant things I located.

This place was soooo cool.    I got ASM #129 there, and bought the Rogers/Englehart run of Detective Comics there back when they were first published.   I distinctly remember seeing the Star wars #1 comic book there before the movie came out, and buying the Marvel #1s of Tarzan and John Carter.

I would greatly appreciate any pictures anyone might have.

Thanks!

1977-05-01 NY Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Empire Comics article pg. C-1_crop.jpg

1977-05-01 NY Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Empire Comics article pg. C-3_crop.jpg

Monroe Doctrine v28 No. 10 1980-11-06 ad Empire Comics.jpg

Wow they had 3 locations in Rochester in 1977??

On 11/9/2022 at 10:01 PM, ROCJeff said:

Here’s a photo of Tony at Empire Comics on Stone Road in December 1981. My father knew Tony and took this photo in the store. My father recently passed and I found this in his collection. Searched for Empire Comics and found this forum. Hope it brings back some memories. F7026E17-9B45-4BD0-9C32-3C6470EB9BD6.thumb.jpeg.3fcf7ad9e8bac72575fbe7c5bc5dcb45.jpeg

I used to own a light gray Empire Comics tee shirt.  Same design as the one on the wall here.

On 1/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, dbutler69 said:

Thanks for posting these pictures!  This sure brings back a lot of memories.  I used to go to the Greece Empire Comics every weekend.  I went to the other two locations a couple of times, also.  

Did you grow up in Irondequoit? I've never been there, but I've heard of it because there's a famous Jane Doe from there (as you may know). It's a major mystery that has gotten quite a bit of attention online.

https://www.whec.com/top-news/every-child-deserves-a-name-revisiting-a-1988-irondequoit-cold-case/

Some kid was digging in his backyard at 130 Bay Knoll Road in 1988 and found bones that turned out to be from a young woman who had been buried in a hole head first back when the area was still an orchard. They think that she was murdered in the late 50s. They have tried and tried to match her to any person reported missing—no dice.

Edited by jimbo_7071

Heritage auctioned off the collection of one of the brothers 10 or more years ago, after he passed. It may have been Jim. The store was highly regarded as an early example of what a comic store could be. I wish I had more info. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12