• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (2021)
1 1

590 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, The Brain said:

"...I would burn this film before I use one frame of Josh's movie..."

Zach Snyder.

I heard that during the panel. There is definitely some emotion tied to the entire situation.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

Man, Josh Whedon is really taking a beating throughout this whole Snyder cut thing.

Never been a Whedon fan and the only thing he’s done that I’ve enjoyed is Firefly. 

Zack Snyder has ideas for more scenes to film for his cut of Justice League, but he isn't able to say if the additional photography will happen.

This weekend, fans of Snyder and some of the biggest advocates to #ReleaseTheSnyderCut put together a virtual convention, called Justice Con, to celebrate the upcoming film. Snyder participated in the event and shared some more information about the status of the film. One of the most popular questions in the fan chat was if additional photography would happen once coronavirus was less of an issue. Unfortunately, Snyder said he couldn't say, even if he knows the answer.

While Snyder might not have cleared up the possibility of doing reshoots for Justice League, the chances are reportedly slim. When the announcement was first made, trade reports said that the cast could do additional dialogue recording but that reshoots weren't part of the plan. This sentiment was echoed relatively recently, with the latest report saying HBO Max said no to the idea of doing reshoots. The streaming service is already paying more than the reported $30-$40 million to finish the cut, and reshoots would increase costs even more. Unless HBO Max is seriously considering giving Snyder the ability to finish his entire story with Justice League sequels, they could be hesitant to pay for him to likely add more teases of the future.

On Saturday evening, during his own panel at Justice Con, Zack Snyder talked a bit about how his movie no longer has to bow to the continuity of the DCEU. He actually explained that the theatrical cut, which came out in 2017 and was directed by Joss Whedon, is the actual in-canon Justice League movie. And that the films that come after it, from Shazam to Aquaman, are part of that canon.

But Snyder’s Justice League movie doesn’t have to be part of that DCEU thread anymore. And because of that, during an exclusive interview he gave me for my upcoming Release the Snyder Cut book, Snyder referred to his project by a very interesting term.

As I described in my own Justice Con panel, Snyder referred to the Justice League version that’s coming to HBO Max as an “Elseworld” Justice League. And when he said it, it gave me chills. The Elseworld label was created in the DC Comics to tell stories that used iconic DC characters, but didn’t have to follow existing canon from the ongoing books. The Elseworld label led to the creation of stories like Batman: Castle of the Bat, or Son of Superman.

Creators were able to get crazy with their narratives. Because they didn’t have to worry too much about disrupting whatever important storylines that were going on in the main DC Comics books. You can’t introduce a story like JLA: Created Equal – where a cosmic plague kills every man on the planet except for Lex Luthor and Superman – without it causing massive ripples in the main DC storylines.

This is really the biggest mistake by WB with the early films in not marketing the entire run as a retelling of stories from the DC Elseworlds concept to tell unique stories. Although the 'NOT MY SUPERMAN' or 'NOT MY BATMAN" chants probably would still be there.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
Although the 'NOT MY SUPERMAN' or 'NOT MY BATMAN" chants probably would still be there.

Superman ‘78 was MY Superman. Man of Steel was also MY Superman. I was 8 in 78 and no movie ever made me feel the sense of awe I had then. No movie ever will. Man of Steel sure came close though.

04912969-E1B9-42A0-9353-FB6C3BA736D7.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Grails said:

Superman ‘78 was MY Superman. Man of Steel was also MY Superman. I was 8 in 78 and no movie ever made me feel the sense of awe I had then. No movie ever will. Man of Steel sure came close though.

04912969-E1B9-42A0-9353-FB6C3BA736D7.jpeg

That picture is 9,000 times better than the first 30 seconds of Justice League. :roflmao:

2 minutes ago, Grails said:

I own both Superman the Movie: Special Edition (Donner's preferred cut) and Man of Steel, and love them both.

But when it comes to a Superman film with a massive threat, the latter wins out for me. Not that it would detract from me appreciating the original AND improved film.

This past weekend, he revealed at the fan-established panel that he has been working tirelessly on Justice League every single day. In the panel, he received the big question of whether he was getting paid to work on the film. His response was as follows:

"It’s exciting to get this chance, and I wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, and I love working in it, and I’d do it for free – and I am."

Snyder’s passion for the film is what allows this movie to come to life and allows him not to worry about receiving payment for his work – though he may receive something on the backend. At the same time, it’s exactly what one would expect from Warner Bros and HBO Max. They seem not to understand what they want to do with their streaming services. Therefore, if they had to pay Snyder for the creation of the project, it wouldn’t have happened at all.

Warner Bros. continues to explore many options for adapting their DC Comics properties to screens both big and small. The launch of HBO Max has expanded the realm of what’s possible and opened up additional tempting options, as the announcement of Zack Snyder’s Justice League makes clear. It also highlights the fact one of the best, most obvious, and financially attractive options is for HBO Max to build a new animated DCEU miniseries and streaming shows based within the DC cinematic world built around Zack Snyder’s vision, aka the Snyderverse.

Let’s get some things out of the way first. I’m talking about animation, not live action, because the realm of live action is obviously costs a lot more to produce, and there’s much more at stake — and thus far more restrictions and possible obstacles — in creating multiple live-action sets of the same characters operating in completely different worlds and settings.

There are already film incarnations, television incarnations, and streaming incarnations of shared multi-character DC worlds. HBO Max is home to most of the iterations already, and adding yet another line of live-action shared-world versions of the same characters could get messy and expensive.

Mind you, I’m not at all opposed to live-action versions, and I’d be quite happy as a fan, since I love the films. I’m simply speaking about what seems more likely, or at least more possible, at this particular point in time. Moreover, animated spinoffs and sequels don’t preclude live-action content within the same continuity. If the animation is successful enough, then it might be added evidence of the viability of live-action.

One other thing to get out of the way — I keep seeing the rumors and hearing the wishful thinking, but everything I see and hear continues to prove Ben Affleck is not planning to return to the role of Batman for any new streaming shows or films, that he isn’t expressing a desire to do so, and that there have been no discussions about trying to develop such a project. Batman remains a major cinematic franchise and is generally reserved from heading up live action shows on the small screen.

If there are no plans or chances any time in the near future to develop live-action content (apart from the existing feature film projects including Wonder Woman 1984, Aquaman 2, and others that continue the franchise spinoffs from Snyder’s DC films), then I believe the best option to pursue a Snyderverse is through animated miniseries.

Ongoing weekly series are of course also possible, but the demands of weekly or regular seasonal production would result in different types of content. A regular series must meet the demands of weekly (or binge-equivalent) half-hour storytelling, instead of centering around one adventure told from start to finish. The latter is how I think the Snyderverse works best, for many reasons, including its deconstructionist approach and its greater similarity in storytelling structure to classic mythology storytelling (where, rather than weekly adventurism, the heroes’ lives were detailed in occasional epic quests).

While it’s true a miniseries with hour-long episodes would cost more than a simple regular half-hour series, even at a relatively high budget of $1.5-2 million per episode, a four-episode miniseries would still cost less than $10 million. That’s a reasonable price for this type of content. Warner could release them on VOD first, and then exclusively on HBO Max, giving HBO Max subscribers a chance to purchases the miniseries at discounted prices.

I suspect a steady diet of this quality of animated miniseries will further “normalize” animation for mainstream adult audiences who typically have a preference for live action productions of their adult action/drama entertainment (“adult” meaning literally 18+ audience demographic, especially post-college adults, not “adult” as in R-rated per se).

Maybe this is a pipe dream, but I would love to see a future in which mainstream American audiences consume a steady diet of animated content in every genre, at every level, so any TV/streaming series or feature film is considered for not just live action but also animated production. Imagine animated sitcoms, animated hour-long family dramas in prime time, realistic animated action blockbusters specifically for grown up viewers, and so on for American audiences.

Yes, there is already loads of fabulous animated content disproving the unfortunate misperception among mainstream American viewers that “serious” animated storytelling for adult audience is “rare” or something only found in international cinema and television. But the fact is the unfortunate misperception does exist and it deserves to be overcome.

With high-quality animation, and featuring writing and directing by great talents such as (for example) LeSean Thomas, Lexi Alexander, Jay Oliva, Rie Matsumoto, the Wachowskis, and of course Zack Snyder himself, the miniseries could be equivalent to director’s cuts of longer-than-usual theatrical films, edited into multiple chapters (think of The Hateful Eight’s glorious — and superior — miniseries edit on Netflix).

There is clearly a large, vocal, enthusiastic fanbase for this particular potential set of content. The “Release the Snyder Cut” movement proved this already, and it’s precisely why we will be seeing Zack Snyder’s Justice League on HBO Max. It also can’t hurt having additional high-end content for major branded IP on the streaming service, and this is content that can be created relatively faster and more safely than live-action content in the current COVID-19 pandemic climate.

And I’ll be blunt — everyone can hope and wish and assume things are getting “back to normal” for live action production soon, but we are still a long way away from resuming work as usual, and another pandemic is likely inevitable in the next several years anyway, so in the long run having a supply of animated streaming content — films, miniseries, and regular series — is just smart planning for the future.

I’d also suggest asking Zack Snyder to oversee this content line, fulfilling the storytelling he originally had in mind, as well as any additional interesting projects that present themselves within the Snyderverse.

HBO Max is in a good position to continue capitalizing on the positive fan sentiment they’ve earned from the release of Zack Snyder’s Justice League in a multitude of ways, to expand their content library of innovative DC animated films and series, and to help expand the popularity of series high-end animated content as a mainstay of adult streaming viewing.

We’ll see if the continued development of DC content across Warner’s many platforms winds up including expansion of the Snyderverse on HBO Max (as continues to be rumored), but I certainly hope the studio considers it. And meanwhile, we have plenty to look forward to with Zack Snyder’s Justice League, Green Lantern Corps, Strange Adventures, DC Superhero High, Aquaman: King of Atlantis, Gotham PD, Justice League Dark, already announced for HBO Max with more to come.

Additionally, DC FanDome next month will give us sneak peaks at some of this — including the Snyder Cut itself, as well as some upcoming DC cinematic releases including Wonder Woman 1984, The Suicide Squad, and The Batman. I’ll be covering that event, by the way, so be sure to check back here soon for that.

I will frankly be shocked if we don’t see development of additional DCEU content for HBO Max set squarely within the Snyderverse in the coming months and years. Part of that, I hope, will be animated miniseries, especially for any projects that might otherwise be shelved due to budgetary considerations or due to continued coronavirus shutdowns. There’s lots of potential, and I look forward to seeing it play out.

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Casting rumors for DC films are all over the place. Including...

I think with the right -script, he could be a good Hal Jordan.