• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Results From Restored Action Comics #27

16 posts in this topic

Last December I purchased a Raw Action Comics #27 on ebay. It was advertised as an UNRESTORED copy in Fine + condition for $595 When I recieved the book I graded it and Came up with a 6.5 Unrestored. I sent it to CGC and it came back a 6.5 RESTORED Slight A with a small amount of glue on the cover. I recently sold the book on ebay with a starting bid of $9.99 and NO RESERVE. I was thinking I probably would get between $200 and $300 for the book. I was suprised when it went for $555 I still took a loss, but thought I turned out pretty good. I guess their is some hope for restored books, but I am going to try very hard, not to buy any more! smile.gif

I think GA collectors have wised up to the idea that a spot of glue on a sharp looking book with no other restoration is no reason for the book to valued the same as an unrestored low grade copy that has more visible defects. Considering what guide is on a FN, I think the buyer got a nice deal on the book. Congrats on not getting hurt as bad as you feared you would.

Thanks rjpb I think your right about GA collectors, And some minor restoration like this. Extensive restoration doesn't impress me much, like when pieces are added or even color touch.

No I didn't. When I got the book back from CGC, I was very Disappointed. I had some other blue labels and then their was this Purple one. I guess that I was not aware, that a book could have something removed, and come back blue label.

I think restored books were gaining some acceptance until this FF trimming issue recently came up. Did you look inot having the glue professionally removed in an effort to obtain a blue label?

What does the trimmed FF#3 have to do with overall market acceptance of books sold as restored copies? For people who are happy with restored copies, I can't see how it would affect their perception at all. I'd still take CentaurMan's restored Detective #1 in a heartbeat. cloud9.gif

I think restored books were gaining some acceptance until this FF trimming issue recently came up. Did you look inot having the glue professionally removed in an effort to obtain a blue label?

What does the trimmed FF#3 have to do with overall market acceptance of books sold as restored copies? For people who are happy with restored copies, I can't see how it would affect their perception at all. I'd still take CentaurMan's restored Detective #1 in a heartbeat. cloud9.gif

For me it just made me shudder for a moment. If very professional trim jobs like the ones we are saw in the FF thread are going on it may make people leary of the whole PLOD issue just because of the negative stigma associated with it. I have grown to appreciate PLOD's when I really detested them not too long ago.

For me it just made me shudder for a moment. If very professional trim jobs like the ones we are saw in the FF thread are going on it may make people leary of the whole PLOD issue just because of the negative stigma associated with it. I have grown to appreciate PLOD's when I really detested them not too long ago.

I don't think I get it. Given what you're saying, it seems to me that people would be afraid of the blue label, and more enthused about the PLOD, as at least in the case of the PLOD you know what you're getting. So it seems to me the inverse of what you're suggesting would be true.

I think that CGC Detects restoration 99.9% of the time. I certainly have no fear of buying a Blue Label. I don't think that any of us GA collectors can do any better at grading or detecting Restoration. We need CGC and have to trust them..