• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warehouse find yields 1 million comics

96 posts in this topic

if you've never deluded yourself into thinking that any of this is actually rare, then it is a lot easier to accept all of this. when we're talking about mainstream comics that are rare, we're talking about a certain number of pre-1965 comics in very high grade. that's about it. cgc census numbers have duped a lot of people into thinking some comics from the last 40 years are rare.

think about it... 10 years ago there were probably 1500 comic shops in the country, maybe more. would it surprise anyone if each of them had all or most of the byrne x-men run for sale? no. would it really be surprising if they had 3-5 copies of each book in that run? no, particularly when most people who have been collecting for the last 20-25 years probably have multiples of most of them. I do, and I never even went out of my way to collect them. heck, 20-25 years ago most comic shops I ever went into had big books like AF 15, Spidey 1, FF 1, etc. up on the wall behind the register. Pretty much standard stock if you had a comic shop then. How rare could they be? A friend of mine who owned a store and had been selling at conventions since about 1970 says he's owned at least 50 copies of ASM 1 over the years.

seriously, there were big conventions held every month or two in the early 80s. ALL of the material for sale, by definition, had to be from the early 80s or earlier! Long box after long box after long box.

"Damn, I'm still waiting for the early bronze flood everyone was predicting. I have had three different very reputable, trustworthy dealers tell me that there are warehouse-type collections of 1970-75 books out there, and the owners are waiting for a peak to drop them into the market."

If this happens, I'll jump for joy. I'm so tired of hearing about overrated Bronze Age books as collectibles.

This was back in the '80s, and most of those books probably fetch even less now.

That's what I've been saying for awhile on here; the Byrne X-men run is great to own and read, but it's been a HORRIBLE investment since the 1980's. Almost as bad as Miller DD's.

You have also been calling for a crash for the last 3 years. gossip.gifshy.gif

didn't neatstuff/carbonaro do a 500K comic purchase a couple of years ago that they auctioned off on ebay? didn't they have like a batman 1 on the top of the stack?

sure, 1 million is more than 500K, but somehow the world survived the 500K dump

and guys like roginski buy hundreds and hundreds of thousands of books a year (granted, that might skew more toward late 80s/early 90s stuff)

didn't neatstuff/carbonaro do a 500K comic purchase a couple of years ago that they auctioned off on ebay? didn't they have like a batman 1 on the top of the stack?

sure, 1 million is more than 500K, but somehow the world survived the 500K dump

and guys like roginski buy hundreds and hundreds of thousands of books a year (granted, that might skew more toward late 80s/early 90s stuff)

It was Superman and I don't imagine the guy paid up considering I never saw the promised full page ad in CBG advertising the new buyer's new business.

Marc

This has nothing to do with a crash, but the fact that I buy Byrne X-Men comics and have been accused of "investing" in them. Yeah right. foreheadslap.gif

"It was Superman and I don't imagine the guy paid up considering I never saw the promised full page ad in CBG advertising the new buyer's new business."

so where did the books go? i haven't seen him selling vast amounts at shows (just his usual 40 or so long boxes) and (while I don't look that much), it doesn't seem like neatstuff is listing the 5,000 auctions a day it used to.

so where did the books go? i haven't seen him selling vast amounts at shows (just his usual 40 or so long boxes) and (while I don't look that much), it doesn't seem like neatstuff is listing the 5,000 auctions a day it used to.

Dunno. You might ask them next time you see them at a show.

Btw, the text of the auction made it sound like they'd owned these books for years and couldn't get to them and decided to try to bundle them all together from three different sources. So if they'd owned them for years they may still own them.

Marc

In my area I have no problem selling Byrne or Pre Byrne X books at guide and higher if high slabbed grade or a basic NM copy(Looks perfect, but corners and such.) Its the only books from that era I ever feel comfortable paying decent money for. Even readers Ill get $5-15 every time and thats on ebay. Up to 137 has strong staying power for probably another 10 years or so. Now if all the stuff gets dumped on the market My God the chaos. In local areas though the impact will be minimal. Still got all types of buyers that dont buy off a ebay and wont buy without seeing it in their hands first. My local shop owner can never keep a high grade X book in the store for long.

This has nothing to do with a crash, but the fact that I buy Byrne X-Men comics and have been accused of "investing" in them. Yeah right. foreheadslap.gif

All I remember is you chasing some CGC'd copies a few years ago on e-bay....not that there's anything wrong with that. grin.gif

honestly, i think you have a better shot at getting a good % of guide selling some VG copies than trying to sell NM copies because people will figure your VG probably IS a VG, whereas the NM will often be assumed to be a VF or lower.

every time I've tried to bid on nice pre-130 copies the bidding seems to go beyond 50% of OPG. granted, that's just a small sampling of auctions, i don't get involved in all of them!

The sky is about to fall!!!!!!

or is it.

1500 X-men 104s have been found and soon will hit the market. OMG.

Every store in America will soon have dozens of this book to sell.

No,thats not right.

Every store may have two copies to sell.That certainly will cause a crash ,won't it.

Short of the entire million books being 9.6s or better,so what?

Anyone here not believe that between Neatstuff,Dolgoff,Koch,huck and Buddy Saunders,there aren't already thousands of almost every one of books sitting in their warehouses.Most of them unread and unopened.

1500 more raw copies wont cause a problem... 1500 more slabbed copies from 9.2 and up will! It will a great test of the market to see non keys in the census with hundreds of copies in each step above 9.0. That would be a scary census ... scary enuff to ward off all but the most ardent fans... and cause a real price slashing..

First of all, I always love that term: Warehouse find. It kills me how a million books can just sit somewhere for 20 some years and "be found". Like no one knew about them. How does a million books just seem to get lost in the shuffle? Always a mystery to me. I'd just be happy with a short box find at an estate sale.

I don't know if this will be a good thing or a bad thing but maybe this will finally yield a Man From Atlantis #1 in 9.8. I think I'm the only person who wants one cause I don't think they are rare and yet no one has submitted a 9.8.

Oh, and if those 1500 X-Men 104s grade mostly between 9.0 and 9.6 and only a handful make it to 9.8 then it may crash the 9.6 and below market while boosting the 9.8. Just a thought.

i suspect the "find", which was probably exagerated, has been busted up to a bunch of dealers who will slowly but surely sell this stuff over the next 2-5 years and we won't notice much. the bloom is off slabbed 9.4 BA books, so you wonder how many even get sent in unless they look fanatastic. a slabbed x-men 104 in 9.4... does that even make guide nowadays or do you need to spend $15 on plastic to be able to make guide?

i suspect the "find", which was probably exagerated, has been busted up to a bunch of dealers who will slowly but surely sell this stuff over the next 2-5 years and we won't notice much. the bloom is off slabbed 9.4 BA books, so you wonder how many even get sent in unless they look fanatastic. a slabbed x-men 104 in 9.4... does that even make guide nowadays or do you need to spend $15 on plastic to be able to make guide?

Good point. I use to buy the X-Men run raw but the numbers 94 through 143 just seemed to bring out the worst in graders. I was constantly recieving vf- books sold as nm. So now I only buy these books cgc graded. So to answer you question, I doubt raw copies sell for guide and cgc copies sell comfortably at or slightly more the guide. It's sad but 9 times out of 10 you're much better off getting the plastic. frown.gif

sorry, i worded my comment poorly. i meant do slabbed 9.4 copies even still fetch guide? i wasn't speculating on raw copies hitting guide, unless, of course, you're one of those 5-10 ebay sellers who seem to manage to get well above market prices for your common raw books.

First of all, I always love that term: Warehouse find. It kills me how a million books can just sit somewhere for 20 some years and "be found". Like no one knew about them. How does a million books just seem to get lost in the shuffle? Always a mystery to me. I'd just be happy with a short box find at an estate sale.

I don't know if this will be a good thing or a bad thing but maybe this will finally yield a Man From Atlantis #1 in 9.8. I think I'm the only person who wants one cause I don't think they are rare and yet no one has submitted a 9.8.

Oh, and if those 1500 X-Men 104s grade mostly between 9.0 and 9.6 and only a handful make it to 9.8 then it may crash the 9.6 and below market while boosting the 9.8. Just a thought.

Is that comic book related to the Patrick Duffy Man from Atlantis?