• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manufacturing Error, DC Cover with Marvel Interior
3 3

89 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2020 at 11:42 AM, EC Star&Bar said:

These things have been known to happen.  I recall an Archie/Marvel mixup like this, IIRC a copy of Conan the Barbarian cover with an Archie interior.  So it's not unheard of.

Correct, I'm aware that it happens.

It's just more rare that publishers get mixed up or crossed. From what I've seen, the cover and interior mix-up's usually occur more within the same publisher. ;)

3 hours ago, jasoncg1971 said:

Correct, I'm aware that it happens.

It's just more rare that publishers get mixed up or crossed. From what I've seen, the cover and interior mix-up's usually occur more within the same publisher. ;)

Yup

Def rare and an oddity but not a 1.2 million dollar one. As many have said though, someone might pay a decent amount for it by both those issues' standards (being $2 books and the potential to earn between $100-1000 for it)

If you are selling and want to maximize profit and ensure credibility so that buyers feel they are getting a legit printing error, having graded is your best bet. Both books came out at the same time like the other printing error. If you inspect the spine you should be able to tell if a cover and interior were put together. Rarely do staple holes line up, the book is usually looser and you can tell something is off. That is not to say someone who is good at it couldn't make it look legitimate. And maybe someone professional could pull the wool over CGC's eyes?

24 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yup

Def rare and an oddity but not a 1.2 million dollar one. As many have said though, someone might pay a decent amount for it by both those issues' standards (being $2 books and the potential to earn between $100-1000 for it)

If you are selling and want to maximize profit and ensure credibility so that buyers feel they are getting a legit printing error, having graded is your best bet. Both books came out at the same time like the other printing error. If you inspect the spine you should be able to tell if a cover and interior were put together. Rarely do staple holes line up, the book is usually looser and you can tell something is off. That is not to say someone who is good at it couldn't make it look legitimate. And maybe someone professional could pull the wool over CGC's eyes?

I have had two of these over the years.  Both were DC covers with Marvel interiors, both were from 1977-1978 and on one of them, the interior was flipped (Karate Kid cover with (I think) an Eternals interior).  CGC will 100% be able to tell if they are legit or not because of the wear patterns. It's not just the spine, but anywhere where there is wear on the book it will either correspond to the cover, or it won't.

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yup

The staples are tight, not loose at all. And the spine is in PRISTINE condition. ;)

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

I have had two of these over the years.  Both were DC covers with Marvel interiors, both were from 1977-1978 and on one of them, the interior was flipped (Karate Kid cover with (I think) an Eternals interior).  CGC will 100% be able to tell if they are legit or not because of the wear patterns. It's not just the spine, but anywhere where there is wear on the book it will either correspond to the cover, or it won't.

Understood. Thank you for your input. :smile:

On 6/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, jasoncg1971 said:

Wouldn't it be a green label?  

How would this manufacturing error be considered "married"? Yes, the cover comes from a different source, but it's NOT a restoration.

I'm suspecting your comment points to the possibility of a forgery? A reliable and recorded CGC grade and label would dispel any such thoughts to potential buyers/collectors, correct?

Very cool.   

I've seen quite a few books like this come back with a green label; it if comes back with a blue label, you win. And CGC will generally classify the book by whatever the cover is, and then note the interior contents on the label. They should also put "Manufacturing Error" on the label. If it's green label, any notation should be in capital letters. Also, if it's a married cover, it should be a green label, with the "Married Cover" designation on the label. I doubt this is the case with this book, however. 

Good luck, and please post the results if you can...   

Edited by The Lions Den

On 6/8/2020 at 5:19 PM, The Lions Den said:

Very cool.   

I've seen quite a few books like this come back with a green label; it if comes back with a blue label, you win. And CGC will generally classify the book by whatever the cover is, and then note the interior contents on the label. They should also put "Manufacturing Error" on the label. If it's green label, any notation should be in capital letters. Also, if it's a married cover, it should be a green label, with the "Married Cover" designation on the label. I doubt this is the case with this book, however. 

Good luck, and please post the results if you can...   

I'm pretty sure it will come back with a green label. Not sure why it would come back blue. As it falls more under the green label description. Or am I wrong about that?

Universal Label (Blue)
"This label is applied to comic books that are simply the grade as marked, with no qualifiers or special considerations."

Qualified Label (Green)
"A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description."

7 hours ago, jasoncg1971 said:

I'm pretty sure it will come back with a green label. Not sure why it would come back blue. As it falls more under the green label description. Or am I wrong about that?

You're not wrong. But I have seen both scenarios...

Received my grade today. Though, I'm a little PERPLEXED as to why there is ZERO mention about the inside NOT matching the cover....

CGC Cert #
Title
Night Force
Issue
Issue Date
9/82
Issue Year
Publisher
D.C. Comics
Grade
Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
06/16/2020
Grade Category
Modern
Art Comments
Marv Wolfman story
Gene Colan art
Gene Colan & Giordano cover

GRADER NOTES: 

Comic Description:
Night Force 2 9/82 D.C. Comics

Grader Notes:
light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

1 hour ago, jasoncg1971 said:

Received my grade today. Though, I'm a little PERPLEXED as to why there is ZERO mention about the inside NOT matching the cover....

CGC Cert #
Title
Night Force
Issue
Issue Date
9/82
Issue Year
Publisher
D.C. Comics
Grade
Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
06/16/2020
Grade Category
Modern
Art Comments
Marv Wolfman story
Gene Colan art
Gene Colan & Giordano cover

GRADER NOTES: 

Comic Description:
Night Force 2 9/82 D.C. Comics

Grader Notes:
light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover

Talk about anti-climatic! 
I think a call to CGC is in order.

57 minutes ago, Avi said:

Talk about anti-climatic! 
I think a call to CGC is in order.

I emailed them and asked them how could this happen? Did the person grading NOT look inside? Were they so NEW they didn't realize the difference between the cover and interior? They noted the pages were WHITE, so what gives? They HAD TO look inside to determine that! On top of that, the artists listed were what was on the cover, NOT the John Byrne art inside (as a side note). UGH!

Edited by jasoncg1971

UPDATE: After sending the comic BACK to be reevaluated, it came back the SAME! There is ZERO mention that the interior is different from the cover. I don't understand why they won't record that the cover and interior don't match and are actually TWO different comic books. This situation has wasted a lot of my time and is a disappointment. I have opened a case to get my money back, as I'm NOT happy with their service at all!

CGC2133115-001_OBV.thumb.JPG.fc9182682c0c8ac8721d97869e972f25.JPG

CGC2133115-001_REV.thumb.JPG.dcb88ee4af3c05fcc20b623eafb2cf40.JPG

55 minutes ago, jasoncg1971 said:

UPDATE: After sending the comic BACK to be reevaluated, it came back the SAME! There is ZERO mention that the interior is different from the cover. I don't understand why they won't record that the cover and interior don't match and are actually TWO different comic books. This situation has wasted a lot of my time and is a disappointment. I have opened a case to get my money back, as I'm NOT happy with their service at all!

CGC2133115-001_OBV.thumb.JPG.fc9182682c0c8ac8721d97869e972f25.JPG

CGC2133115-001_REV.thumb.JPG.dcb88ee4af3c05fcc20b623eafb2cf40.JPG

Try marrying the correct interiors centerfold and see what grade/label they give you. Moral of the story for me is don’t expect CGC to play along with our quest for oddities and freaks. 

"OP, did you include a note about this with the submission?"

Yes.

Rebecca Bonacci gave me the instructions below before I sent it back for reevaluation (which I did):

Write the following notations in large bold font on the printed Packing Slip

• *MECHANICAL ERROR – REASON(TRANSIT DMG/DEBRIS/LABEL ERROR)
    • *APPROVAL CODE: B0620B
    • * Record the SPECIFIC problem or correction next to each line item

Edited by jasoncg1971

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

I feel for you, Jason.  This appears to be a BIG mistake on CGC's part.

Thank you and I AGREE. 

I really could care less about the grade. I would like the FACT recorded for the record there's a Marvel Fantastic Four #246 INSIDE a DC Night Force #2.

Why is this such a HARD concept to understand?

I really wish someone from CGC would read this thread and give me an explanation. As I'm VERY UPSET about this.

UPDATE: I sent CGC a private message directing them to this post. I hope they can clarify why they have chosen NOT to give it a green label with the proper documentation.

Edited by jasoncg1971

I'm actually surprised that the label states "Night Force" rather than Fantastic Four.  I have a coverless book married to an incorrect cover, and they chose to identify the book by it's contents rather than the cover.  If they had at least ID'ed the interior, I suppose you could be happy with the label.