• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you open this sealed Spider-Man comic?
3 3

65 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, XxSpideyxX said:

The closeup picture I posted is what is visible under normal lighting.  But I may try to hold it up to the sun or try a flashlight.  Maybe a scanner would reveal more?

I have a radical idea on this.  Possibly it is not a premium from Ralston Purina.  Perhaps, it is someone who worked there improperly using their pre-paid envelope to send a comic to someone.  Maybe a friend to friend, parent to child/nephew, etc.  I can't make out if there is anything enclosed with the comic like a letter which you would think would be present if a premium if nothing else to market Ralston Purina.  Maybe it is inside the comic if present.

I do know of folks who did this before I was retired and that was at a state agency.  We had pre-paid envelopes and mailers available.  There was a disclaimer about penalty of either fine or prison (cannot remember exactly) on the envelope. 

Just a wild thought but I would think between our collective searching ability and just overall knowledge on the boards, we would either know or could find something about this. 

Just a wild thought. 

Or possibly someone who worked there or their parent did and used the mailer to protect and store the comic?

Edited by telerites

4 minutes ago, XxSpideyxX said:

Odd that it's a "direct" version, no?  Seems to add credence to @telerites theory.  

It's a good theory but, as CJ Design noted above, why add the 'Option-D Spiderman' on the address sticker? 

3 hours ago, littledoom said:

If I was selling it I would definitely not open it and keep it in the bag. it's a unicorn.. If I never had a copy I would keep it in the bag and buy one... they're pretty easy to come by ..

yes opening it would be cutting the horn off a unicorn and making a regular horse.

7 hours ago, Bird said:

you have something interesting now...open it and you have a spiderman 252 and an empty envelope.

keep it sealed shut

This

Then sell it to me.:foryou:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

1 hour ago, David Buck said:

And this appears to be the promo in question 

d2sLh8zZImt6V99mS5_qFlbs2aEUQa9wYtPO3B_qZfVRsji44twOmu7OFyoELtSxYoxu_H8tDgs-=s0

You guys should work for Scotland Yard!  Was Nabisco ever owned by or own Ralston?  Weird they both had the same promo offer.  

1 minute ago, XxSpideyxX said:

You guys should work for Scotland Yard!  Was Nabisco ever owned by or own Ralston?  Weird they both had the same promo offer.  

If FBI has unsolved cases they really should post em here.

Keep it sealed if it's a run-of-the-mill 252, which it appears to be. 

19 minutes ago, XxSpideyxX said:

I guess so - their logo is on the top right corner of the cereal box and under the blue Iron on Patch arrow 

Agree with the chorus, leave it sealed. That is what makes it unique. If you don't personally care about it being sealed, sell it to someone who does, and use the money to purchase a slab in the condition you want. But raw copies of that book are common as dirt, whereas a sealed envelope is something most have never seen. I'm sure you're already getting lots of PM's with offers though ha

On 6/6/2020 at 12:02 PM, David Buck said:

And this appears to be the promo in question 

d2sLh8zZImt6V99mS5_qFlbs2aEUQa9wYtPO3B_qZfVRsji44twOmu7OFyoELtSxYoxu_H8tDgs-=s0

Nice job hunting that down.

It appears they put actual images of the 5 books offered (A through E I assume).

They don't appear from the same month ( ASM #252 May 1984 cover date) -- I did the best I could identify them-- the X-Men appears to be older by comparison (July 1983) -- took a while to figure that one out as I never collected X-Men.

Other books shown are (I think):

Alpha Flight #10 (May 1984)marvel-comics-alpha-flight-vol-1-issue-10.jpg

Fantastic Four #267 (June 1984) marvel-comics-fantastic-four-vol-1-issue-267.jpg

Incredible Hulk #296 (June 1984) marvel-comics-incredible-hulk-vol-1-issue-296.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #252 (May 1984) marvel-comics-amazing-spider-man-vol-1-issue-252d.jpg

Uncanny X-Men #171 (July 1983 ?) marvel-comics-uncanny-x-men-vol-1-issue-171.jpg

Feel free to correct any of this-- I was on hiatus from collecting by this time.

Edited by 01TheDude