• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Complimentary copies

11 posts in this topic

I found some old threads about these but didn't see anything about their effects on a comics grade. Has anyone submitted a book with one of these stamps and if so, did it negatively effect the grade? Not that I was going to pay $18 to have this particular book graded, more just curious since it seems they were likely stamped very shortly, or immediately, after printing. 

20200610_005533.jpg

Never seen a graded one let alone submit one. Easy answer would be to say they are treated like date stamps. But reason date stamps are treated that way is because it was common practice. This isn't as common. But if it is on a fcbd book then it is. But would normally have stores name on it. So this in fact might still be uncommon there as well.

Good click bait though. How many people are coming in here to get their complimentary copies.

Edited by Myowncollector
Add more

@lotofsilver - These may be two of the threads you mention. I wasn’t able to find graded copies that had a “complimentary” stamp, but my best guess is if the stamp is on the smaller side, unobtrusive, without smudges or smears the stamp would be treated similar to initials or store stamps and wouldn’t be the cause of an immediate downgrade.

I’d believe it would have to be taken on a case by case basis. Some stamps can be fairly yucky, other’s just neatly say “Shoney’s” or “Rex’s” in small font for example. 

Spoiler

Edited by steveinthecity

Here are the notes

Comic Description:
Amazing Spider-Man 238 3/83 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
large address/date/name stamp front cover
spine stress lines breaks color

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

Here are the notes

Comic Description:
Amazing Spider-Man 238 3/83 Marvel Comics