• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is Everyone's Opinion on Color Touch?
4 4

106 posts in this topic

I have no interest in professionally restored books, but a few marker dots that a dumb kid threw onto a cover 50 years ago doesn't bother me, and in my mind shouldn't even really count as "restoration." I realize that's what the "amateur" tag is for, but that's still painting with a very wide brush.

Removing CT is a whole 'nother  can of worms. If someone does a really crappy resto job on a book in order to make it look better, and fails completely, I guess I can understand why someone would want to remove it, if it would improve appearance. But deciding to scrape off a few dots of marker in order to get a blue label makes the book even uglier than if they'd just left it, IMO.

Regardless, whatever the degree and origin of the restoration (or "restoration") it absolutely should be disclosed, but I personally don't get bent outta shape if it's a book I want. To each their own, as always!

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It is always interesting to hear what “defects” that other collectors can live with or without. For me, it’s always about the book and the price. About the only two things are an absolute no no is brittle and mold. Excessive tape and rat chews are a close second. I can live with most everything else depending. I have incomplete and coverless books, attractive, professionally restored books all the way up to Mile High and other super high grade books. 

Yeah moldy is a big no no for me too, I have some coverless but wouldnt buy them except to read and would have to be very cheap, I also dont like brittle but again I have a few bags of bits from collections I absorbed and I cant part with anything lol 

1 hour ago, D84 said:

One thing that really annoys me about this whole silver sharpie horse :censored:. You are trying to hide restoration. It's just as dishonest not disclosing the original restoration.

Hidden restoration is no longer restoration and therefore is moot.  Restoration CT is to cover up missing spot of ink, usually black.  If you cover that with silver sharpie it is no different from just putting a dot of silver sharpie on a book.  If I scribble on a picasso with a sharpie, I have destroyed it, I have not 'hidden it'.  Same with silver sharpie ove CT black.
I am not telling people to do this and I dont know what CGC stance would be if they could even detect it or care.  I am stating what I do and I can do what I want with my books including wax my car with them.

Edited by kav

9 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It is always interesting to hear what “defects” that other collectors can live with or without. For me, it’s always about the book and the price. About the only two things are an absolute no no is brittle and mold. Excessive tape and rat chews are a close second. I can live with most everything else depending. I have incomplete and coverless books, attractive, professionally restored books all the way up to Mile High and other super high grade books. 

Couldn't agree more.  I have a completely detached B&B 28, that I'm more than happy to have in my PC because the book is complete and presents quite well.  For some that is an absolute no no.  I would never buy a raw-chewed book, or a book with a huge chunk on the cover even though that book would grade higher at CGC than my detached book......

So I'm kinda weird with this...

For my Marvel/DC Super Hero keys, I have to have a blue label.  I wouldnt even entertain the idea of any restoration or a purple label.

But for my PCH books, I welcome a "small amount of color touch".  I think it has to do with the fact I just want the cool cover and gruesome book.  A little CT might actually enhance the cover and make it more visually appealing.  Plus half the price.  (I also generally crack my PCH and keep them in mylars).

Strange how I have such differing opinions based on the type of book but this is how I've approached things.

On 6/21/2020 at 6:55 PM, kav said:

Personally if I have a book with black CT which is the most common, dots of black, I go over it with a silver sharpie.  I'd rather have a book downgraded due to a dot of silver sharpie than a 50% loss in value due to CT.  I do not submit books but this is my stance.
I can do what I want.

:idea:        Silllll-verrrrrrrrrr!  That was the 99 thousand dollar answer!     :idea:    

Edited by James J Johnson

6 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

CT doesn’t Conserve anything.(shrug)

You're right. It doesn't conserve like a tear seal or a reinforced cover. But maybe just as those conserve the structural integrity of a book, minor CT could be considered conservation of the presentation of the book. (?) I dunno, like I said:

On 6/21/2020 at 10:42 PM, HuddyBee said:

I have to admit, I don't really understand the "conserved" label,

Though I do know conservation is essentially a form of restoration. And while minor color touch might not actually "conserve" anything, it seems to me to fit better under that umbrella rather than the PLOD. Simply because just like some forms of conservation, CT can be very minor and very different from many other "restoration" processes.

Conserved books often sell for more than their restored counterparts. It seems odd to me that a conserved book with tear seals and even a possible recast could sell for more than one with minor CT. For this reason also, I feel minor CT might fit better in this category, even if it doesn't quite match the meaning of "conservation." 2c

27 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

You're right. It doesn't conserve like a tear seal or a reinforced cover. But maybe just as those conserve the structural integrity of a book, minor CT could be considered conservation of the presentation of the book. (?) I dunno, like I said:

Though I do know conservation is essentially a form of restoration. And while minor color touch might not actually "conserve" anything, it seems to me to fit better under that umbrella rather than the PLOD. Simply because just like some forms of conservation, CT can be very minor and very different from many other "restoration" processes.

Conserved books often sell for more than their restored counterparts. It seems odd to me that a conserved book with tear seals and even a possible recast could sell for more than one with minor CT. For this reason also, I feel minor CT might fit better in this category, even if it doesn't quite match the meaning of "conservation." 2c

CT is unfair-a dot of black gets the same purple label as a book with one third of the book recolored.  In my world, any CT less than the total area of a pencil eraser, and only black areas, should get a blue label.

Edited by kav

I don't mind a little bit of color touch. I won't buy rat chewed, or brittle. I've never minded restored books, as long as there's disclosure. You get some great comics at a discount price. But this only goes for GA, and SA keys. I wouldn't buy a run of the mill book if it has resto.

completely depends.

If I am buying a book and I know in advance that the book has color touch then I am making an informed decision about the purchase and generally acquiring the book at a more economical cost.

If however I have purchased a book and I didn't know it had color touch yet I paid full market value I despise color touch.

I also think CGC needs better descriptive verbage for the amount of color touch applied to a book. A friend of mine had a CGC encapsulated FF 45 and the label denoted "a small amount of color touch" yet when you looked closely the entire spine of the book was touched.

Maybe the quantity of touches needs to be noted and their size. Example:

5 small dots of color touch

5 small lines of color touch

5 long lines of color touch

Might  also be nice to know what the touch is. "1 small dot of color touch black ink", or "1 small dot of color touch paint"

Edited by Artboy99