• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you ever read a comic and think, what 5th grader drew this?

25 posts in this topic

I was bagging up some new acquisitions and as I typically do, read through the story.  In this particular case it was Spider-Woman 46...close to the end of the run which lasted only 4 more issues.  It's drawn by Steve Leialoha and the splash looks fine for the time period:

There's a note at the top right corner acknowledging that a couple of additional, unplanned, artists helped out.  Both of them are veterans and I think nothing of it.  Then I am faced with this (just look at the hands):

I know it's now a common practice to use multiple artists on a single issue and I, for one, hate that.  Is it me, or does it look like Marvel just gave up on that issue?

Pic1.jpeg

pic2.jpeg

pic3.jpeg

Edited by JazzMan

49 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

I was bagging up some new acquisitions and as I typically do, read through the story.  In this particular case it was Spider-Woman 46...close to the end of the run which lasted only 4 more issues.  It's drawn by Steve Leialoha and the splash looks fine for the time period:

There's a note at the top right corner acknowledging that a couple of additional, unplanned, artists helped out.  Both of them are veterans and I think nothing of it.  Then I am faced with this (just look at the hands):

I know it's now a common practice to use multiple artists on a single issue and I, for one, hate that.  Is it me, or does it look like Marvel just gave up on that issue?

Pic1.jpeg

pic2.jpeg

pic3.jpeg

Good lord *choke*
Also WTF

Leialoha has done some really nice artwork in modern comics such as Fables, and for me, much better than his Bronze / Copper Age style.

Edited by Ken Aldred

It does thank Robbins and Anderson for ‘lending a hand when needed’, and so if they were used as hand models, and their hands were drawn into the comic from life, then there’s no excuse whatsoever for shoddy hand artwork at this level.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Maybe the hands should’ve been hidden away? Why should Rob Liefeld’s technique only be used with feet?

The acknowledgment box kind of makes it sound like there was some kind of last-minute emergency that required the help of those two artists. So maybe time constraints played a part. 

But I get the impression from those last two pages that those “helper” artists were trying to mimic Miller/Janson...and really weren’t up to it.  That seems to be part of the problem too. 

I think it’s ironic that in acknowledging their help, editorial uses the expression “lending a hand”.  More like ‘lending a meat-paw’. :sick:

Edited by Number 6

13 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The acknowledgment box kind of makes it sound like there was some kind of last-minute emergency that required the help of those two artists. So maybe time constraints played a part. 

But I get the impression from those last two pages that those “helper” artists were trying to mimic Miller/Janson...and really weren’t up to it.  That seems to be part of the problem too. 

I think it’s ironic that in acknowledging their help, editorial uses the expression “lending a hand”.  More like ‘lending a meat-paw’. :sick:

I thought the same, but not knowing Trina Robbins and Brent Anderson's  art style, I googled them and it wasn't anywhere close to that monstrosity.

Trina Robbins:

PlmZQ4a8_0409171300101gpadd.jpg#.XvPVTxn

Brent Anderson:

PsEhBX8k_0706200012011gpadd.jpg#.XvPWE1O

I think one of their children also "helped".

Edited by JazzMan

6 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Pic1.jpeg

You got a problem with art inspired by Charles Bronson?

Some fifth graders art is almost always way more interesting than some professional artist stuff. I must be weird, almost every time I see someone say some art sucks I like it and almost every time I see art that's praised as being amazing I don't like it.

6 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Some fifth graders art is almost always way more interesting than some professional artist stuff. I must be weird, almost every time I see someone say some art sucks I like it and almost every time I see art that's praised as being amazing I don't like it.

You could have inverse art syndrome.

16 hours ago, catman76 said:

I've gone to the state fair with my best friends every summer since we were in middle school. When we were young, we spent the whole day on the midway. Now that we're old, we'd rather stay inside the air conditioned pavilions, and look at the art, photographs, etc. Our favorites are always the kids art entries. I've seen some unhinged, beautiful stuff that I would love to own. Kids have no filter. Sure, you have a lot of traced pencil drawings of Sonic the Hedgehog, but sometimes you get bizarre watercolors that look like something out of Hellraiser.