• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed comics

6 posts in this topic

I have a few questions before I send this first set of 10 comics in. I have some comics that are signed. I was there when some were signed, a few others I bought signed trusting the seller. No cert card, picture with say the Artist, or anything like that. Should I send those comics in as a separate group vs doing it with unsigned books? I know there is a signature series. I have not seen a Verify signature choice, unless its the Pedigree box that needs checked. Most of these are not verifiable except by doing a signature comparison. Or, are they more a keep sake with a signature since I can not verify them? I just don't want to spend the money and mix one or two (unverified) signed books in with a basic grading order. Mess up how I was suppose to initially submit them with a signature. My last question, If it has a signature that turns out to not be legit, do you still slab them on a small order?

1 hour ago, drggrd said:

I have a few questions before I send this first set of 10 comics in. I have some comics that are signed. I was there when some were signed, a few others I bought signed trusting the seller. No cert card, picture with say the Artist, or anything like that. Should I send those comics in as a separate group vs doing it with unsigned books? I know there is a signature series. I have not seen a Verify signature choice, unless its the Pedigree box that needs checked. Most of these are not verifiable except by doing a signature comparison. Or, are they more a keep sake with a signature since I can not verify them? I just don't want to spend the money and mix one or two (unverified) signed books in with a basic grading order. Mess up how I was suppose to initially submit them with a signature. My last question, If it has a signature that turns out to not be legit, do you still slab them on a small order?

No. CGC does not verify signatures. For Blue Label, they may make a note of, "Name written on cover" and consider it a 'defect'. For Green Label, they may make a note of, "[Signer's Name] written on cover."

It's up to you whether or not you choose to slab. If noting the signer is important to you, you may want to contact CGC and ask for Qualified Labels with their name noted on the label. If value is more important, you may want to request all Universal Labels.

Thats what I was trying to figure out. Weather or not it would change anything in a major way. I have some old Comics some kid wrote a name or numbers on with a pen way back. I was not to worried on those. Kinda gives them real life character regardless if it affects the final grade. Thank You Both.

Pre-signed can be sent in with the same submission as your other comics, as CGC doesn’t do signature verifications, so they will be assessed through the same process.  You may be able to make a special request to have the signatures either ignored for grading (resulting in a qualified green label) or counted as a defect (lowered blue universal grade).  I’d contact Cgc directly to make sure your process is correct.

of course whether you should submit or not is a function of your own financial and collection goals and preferences 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:04 AM, drggrd said:

Or, are they more a keep sake with a signature since I can not verify them? I just don't want to spend the money and mix one or two (unverified) signed books in with a basic grading order. Mess up how I was suppose to initially submit them with a signature. My last question, If it has a signature that turns out to not be legit, do you still slab them on a small order?

They are a keepsake. So keep them. Sending them to CGC is a bad idea since the signature will be treated as a defect, regardless if there is any proof. The only proper way to have a signature on a GCG'd book is to have CGC witness the signature.

Personally, I would keep them and not send them.