• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 6.5

16 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

It looks like this comic got a really low grade when comparing grade notes and pictures of comic.  Anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to get a bump, should I send it for a screen, because I don’t think a press will really help? Suggestions?  I appreciate everyone’s input!

6CB78062-3BC8-4F4E-BDE1-5FAFF0D8D597.png

72491CA5-1A29-4D50-8834-6445D5F9F2D9.jpeg

F4E175D2-3C85-4F94-8A43-20F0393AF240.jpeg

That was my opinion as well, this should easily be a 7.5......I’m going to send in for a press and have it regraded!  I understand that a press won’t help color breaking creases, but it will help the finger bend and other small issues!

4 minutes ago, Bubba Mendola said:

That was my opinion as well, this should easily be a 7.5......I’m going to send in for a press and have it regraded!  I understand that a press won’t help color breaking creases, but it will help the finger bend and other small issues!

The notes say that the finger bend(s) break color, so a press will not remedy that. There is a very high likelihood that this will return 6.5 again.

Unless you have cash to burn, I do not suggest paying to press this. You'd just be buying an expensive lottery ticket. There's also a chance that, even after the press, it grades lower.

On 6/25/2020 at 9:20 AM, Bubba Mendola said:

Hello all, 

It looks like this comic got a really low grade when comparing grade notes and pictures of comic.  Anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to get a bump, should I send it for a screen, because I don’t think a press will really help? Suggestions?  I appreciate everyone’s input!

6CB78062-3BC8-4F4E-BDE1-5FAFF0D8D597.png

72491CA5-1A29-4D50-8834-6445D5F9F2D9.jpeg

F4E175D2-3C85-4F94-8A43-20F0393AF240.jpeg

I'd be pretty happy with the book, the sigs are as iconic as the storyline

20 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
30 minutes ago, Bubba Mendola said:

The notes say that the finger bend(s) break color, so a press will not remedy that. There is a very high likelihood that this will return 6.5 again.

Unless you have cash to burn, I do not suggest paying to press this. You'd just be buying an expensive lottery ticket. There's also a chance that, even after the press, it grades lower.

I agree 100% here.  I would not risk cracking that with the notes showing breaking color on each of the defects listed you are just going to most likely waste the money to press and regrade.  Could you luck out and get higher, sure, but as stated you could also lose out and get lower.  And the difference (per GoCollect) is only $100 from 6.5 to 7.0 on the 181, $500 from 6.5 to 7.5, and down $250 from 6.5 to 6.0.  So just do as much research as you can.  Also that might not be ALL the issues causing the grade drop.

Either way you go, good luck and absolutely amazing book!

21 minutes ago, Bubba Mendola said:

You all make great points...appreciate the advise, might just leave it be!!

I've had another chance to have a look at your pix, especially the back cover. On the front cover, with all the colour, it's not really possible to see much that is actually wrong with the comic, and therefore my initial assessment that a 6.5 was too low.

However, examination of the back cover pic, unless I'm mistaken, shows quite a number of dents in the comic, especially along the spine and in the middle, hence the 6.5 grade.

Therefore, as you have thought now yourself too, I too would also advise you to leave it as it is.