• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 or not?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Hi recently purchased a Spider-man Venom Double Trouble 2 Momoko.

Front cover is in good condition with no problems, just a couple of concerns on the back.

The spine tick is tiny and was hard to spot as the back cover is an advert designed to look like a damaged poster.  The colour-breaking tick is by the 2.1cm mark (it's not 2.1 cm long : )

The tiny edge damage is by the 2cm mark

What chance of a 9.8 with these two flaws?

TIMG_20200625_205010.thumb.jpg.dfe80f372ac618f672f0b8906c91630a.jpg

Thanks for looking

IMG_20200625_205105.jpg

I would not be confident in 9.8, though you’ll get more and better advice in the PGM section

good luck

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

Definitely not a 9.8, more like a 9.9 or Gem Mint 10!

Ah, you must be referring to CBCS standards for that...............

Edited by kimik

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:
23 minutes ago, kimik said:

Ah, you must be referring to CBCS standards for that...............

More like PGX

Based on books I have seen/briefly owned, CBCS is almost as bad in the 9.6 and higher grades. There is a reason that CBCS books sell for a discount relative to CGC..........

7 minutes ago, kimik said:

Based on books I have seen/briefly owned, CBCS is almost as bad in the 9.6 and higher grades. There is a reason that CBCS books sell for a discount relative to CGC..........

IMO the reason is because of CGC having more of a foothold in the hobby at an earlier stage rather then consistency related to grading.  I'm not a CBCS person myself but I've found their grading more times then not to be on par with CGC.

1 minute ago, Keys_Collector said:

IMO the reason is because of CGC having more of a foothold in the hobby at an earlier stage rather then consistency related to grading.  I'm not a CBCS person myself but I've found their grading more times then not to be on par with CGC.

The last few CBCS 9.6 and 9.8 books I bought for a nice enough discount to look at re-subbing had defects you don't find in CGC books in those grades. There are more opportunities in the low to mid grade range, but even there it is a crapshoot where more often than not the CBCS grade is higher by a half to full grade that what you end up with from CGC. 

The funny thing is, there was a period in the late 00s where PGX was actually stricter than CGC. I sent in a bunch of PGX books I landed in a collection that were not selling due to the label, and they all came back half to 2 full grades higher from CGC without pressing. I had two 9.2s that looked much better in the PGX slab come back as 9.8 from CGC upon resubmission. I wish I had sent all of them in first instead of selling some of the better books (multiple Conan 1s, SS 1s and 4s, Subby 1s, etc.) on eBay right away. :censored:

2 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

:juggle:

On 6/29/2020 at 7:19 PM, Keys_Collector said:

Not sure I understand...

I apologize for any confusion, but since at least two of the main graders for "Can't Buy Can't Sell" used to grade for CGC, I find it somewhat ironic when folks point out the difference in grading between the two companies...

29 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I apologize for any confusion, but since at least two of the main graders for "Can't Buy Can't Sell" used to grade for CGC, I find it somewhat ironic when folks point out the difference in grading between the two companies...

So because they are the same graders the grades will be the same?  Grading guidelines, criteria, standards, etc. between the two companies won't have a impact in the final grade?

23 hours ago, ImageMask said:

So because they are the same graders the grades will be the same?  Grading guidelines, criteria, standards, etc. between the two companies won't have a impact in the final grade?

From what I've seen, professional graders are pretty consistent with how they arrive at their grades. But if you want to think that all those other things make a difference, I'm cool with that...  (thumbsu