• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 or not?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2020 at 9:10 PM, The Lions Den said:

I apologize for any confusion, but since at least two of the main graders for "Can't Buy Can't Sell" used to grade for CGC, I find it somewhat ironic when folks point out the difference in grading between the two companies...

It's probably because it's late. But it took me way longer to get that than it should have.

9 hours ago, William-James88 said:

It's probably because it's late. But it took me way longer to get that than it should have.

I often have the same issue even if it's not late...  lol 

But in all honesty, many graders have a set method of deciding what they feel is the "right" grade. And there are a number of different methods they use. What's really interesting to me is how different graders can use different methods but still wind up in the exact same place.

So what I'm really getting at is that once a grader has a specific system in place for grading, they're unlikely to change that system. At that point, it doesn't matter which company they're working for---the system remains the same...

On 7/2/2020 at 8:24 PM, The Lions Den said:

From what I've seen, professional graders are pretty consistent with how they arrive at their grades. But if you want to think that all those other things make a difference, I'm cool with that...  (thumbsu

They can't even give the same grade to the same book at times on a straight up resub.  All this talk about systems and methods.....lol

15 hours ago, ImageMask said:

They can't even give the same grade to the same book at times on a straight up resub.  All this talk about systems and methods.....lol

With CGC, perhaps the books are being looked at by a different grader or graders when they're resubmitted; that could always be a possibility. In addition, they've had numerous graders over the years, and right now they have more graders than at any time in the past. With more graders there will ultimately be more variability. 

You can laugh if you want to, but I guarantee you that most graders do have a set system for grading which generally comes from years of experience. And if you think it's easy to accurately grade hundreds of books every day, I encourage you to pursue a career in grading. From what I understand, they're always looking for reliable people...   

On 7/1/2020 at 9:10 PM, The Lions Den said:

I apologize for any confusion, but since at least two of the main graders for "Can't Buy Can't Sell" used to grade for CGC, I find it somewhat ironic when folks point out the difference in grading between the two companies...

I didn't say anything about the grading being much different and actually said  "I've found their grading more times then not to be on par with CGC".  I agree with your statement.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:36 PM, Keys_Collector said:

Definitely not a 9.8, more like a 9.9 or Gem Mint 10!

Nothing like a bit of sarcasm for someone in financial pain.  Always a helpful form of communication I find : )

To wrap up any confusion, the only two flaws are the tiny ones I mentioned.  The larger areas that look like damage are actually part of the design- e.g. the 'damaged poster look that 'I mentioned in the original post.  I have other books with exactly the same back cover advertisement. I wouldn't have posted the question if all of those white marks were actual damage.  I'm a bit of a newbie, but not completely deluded!

Nevertheless, I think I now get that even those two small defects are enough to say goodbye to 9.8...

7 hours ago, Chudders said:

Nothing like a bit of sarcasm for someone in financial pain.  Always a helpful form of communication I find : )

To wrap up any confusion, the only two flaws are the tiny ones I mentioned.  The larger areas that look like damage are actually part of the design- e.g. the 'damaged poster look that 'I mentioned in the original post.  I have other books with exactly the same back cover advertisement. I wouldn't have posted the question if all of those white marks were actual damage.  I'm a bit of a newbie, but not completely deluded!

Nevertheless, I think I now get that even those two small defects are enough to say goodbye to 9.8...

A lot of it depends upon which graders see the book...  

13 hours ago, Chudders said:

It is. Here is the rule for a 9.8: There can be NO evidence of wear on the comic. None. 

Any flaw found must be from when the comic was made on the press. And the flaws you mention are not from when it was made.

23 hours ago, Chudders said:

Nothing like a bit of sarcasm for someone in financial pain. 

My advice, if in actual "financial pain", stop buying comic books.  There are some exceptions where you can benefit financially but purchasing a Spider-man Venom Double Trouble 2 Momoko cover now at the current price doesn't seem to financially feasible if in actual trouble with money.  Good luck to you.