• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2023 at 6:28 PM, themagicrobot said:

So we have Lana Lang, Lori Lemaris, Lois Lane and Lyla Lerrol. Lois has a sister called Lucy Lane. Supergirl's secret identity is Linda Lee. Superman's arch enemy is Lex Luthor. I bet there were more LL

Indeed there were more LLs.

Supergirl's secret identity was Linda Lee.

And here she is, on duty, observing Superman canoodling with yet another LL.

comicaction289.jpg

On 6/4/2023 at 5:04 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Hmm..

Wonder why Lyla Lerrol, who perished on Krypton, would sign a photo (in English), and dedicate it to Superman, whom she knew only as Kal-El?

If that photograph ever comes up for auction, I would have to give it a very close inspection.

You have to be very careful these days, what with CGI, deep fakes, and so on.

I hope no-one doubts this is really me posting this.

Joking apart Albert you've touched on a very serious topic that could have consequential repercussions not only in our hobby but in society in general.
Fake or real indeed.
The doom mongers warn us that AI is going to destroy humanity. With this single development we are already quite a way down the slippery slope.

I hope that this does not make me one of the doom mongers.

I can't look through 227 pages of banter no matter how interesting it may be compared to many (more popular but lesser)  threads on these forums. Has this comic been featured before? A February 1959 Charlton with an Irish price stamp. As we know, Ireland added VAT (or was it called Purchase Tax then?) to their prices so they were always a penny or two more expensive than ours, hence the 10d price in those far off days.

battlefieldaction.thumb.jpg.72be350acecca8b7504d246613e08139.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

On 6/4/2023 at 10:28 AM, themagicrobot said:

Lana Lane

Lana LANG.  Come on.  We're geeks here...:kidaround:

QUICK...  EDIT EDIT EDIT.  I didn't pay close enough attention.  There IS a Lana Lane?!!  WTF

Edited by Yorick
ooops

On 6/4/2023 at 7:40 PM, Redshade said:

Joking apart Albert you've touched on a very serious topic that could have consequential repercussions not only in our hobby but in society in general.
Fake or real indeed.
The doom mongers warn us that AI is going to destroy humanity. With this single development we are already quite a way down the slippery slope.

To be fair, the cover of LL # 39 does clearly inform us that it is an 'Imaginary Story'.

Not to be confused with the real stories of various characters in tights flying around and so on.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:13 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Not to be confused with the real stories of various characters in tights flying around and so on.

Of course, when you are ten years old they are all real, far more so than the crazy adult world going on around us was back then.

On 6/4/2023 at 7:14 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Indeed there were more LLs.

Supergirl's secret identity was Linda Lee.

And here she is, on duty, observing Superman canoodling with yet another LL.

comicaction289.jpg

And Supergirl's comment could open up a Freudian can of worms.

Better not go there.

So let's say you decide to write a book. Do you just have a favourite subject such as "How to eat fried worms". Do you do any market research? Do you ask yourself will the subject be interesting to readers? How many people could possibly want your book and enable you to attain riches beyond your wildest dreams?  Or do you plough on regardless and sell 9 copies and have to return your advance to the publisher? I'm sure this book should sell a maximum of five copies worldwide.

marvelvaluestamps.thumb.jpg.c24edb6af4e92ac84314548018713934.jpg  

On 6/5/2023 at 9:05 AM, themagicrobot said:

I'm sure this book should sell a maximum of five copies worldwide.

And every one of the five sits proudly on the shelf of someone on this thread.

Unopened, of course, still in plastic wrapper.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
add 1 line

We live in strange times. Everyone is talking about Artifical Intelligence. But all AI does really is nick stuff from the Interweb. Admittedly it can now do this very quickly. When I first had a computer plugged into the phone line it took 5 minutes to download an image, one line at a time. Has AI made @Get Marwood & I and all of us obsolete? Can the AI bots discuss things between themselves and save us the bother?

So I have just logged in to Openai and asked the following:-

discuss thorpe and porter ink stamps on US published comics distributed in the UK

Here is the reply:-

Thorpe and Porter was a British company that played a significant role in the distribution of American comics in the United Kingdom during the mid-20th century. They were responsible for importing and distributing a wide range of comics from various American publishers, including Marvel, DC, and others.

One notable aspect of Thorpe and Porter's involvement with American comics was their use of ink stamps on the covers of these publications. These ink stamps typically included the company's name, "Thorpe & Porter Ltd," and often appeared in the form of circular or rectangular imprints on the front or back cover of the comic.

The purpose of these ink stamps was to mark the comics as distributed by Thorpe and Porter, indicating that they had been officially imported and made available for sale in the UK market. These stamps served as a form of branding and identification, making it clear to consumers that they were purchasing genuine American comics through Thorpe and Porter's distribution network.

The ink stamps themselves varied in size, color, and placement depending on the specific issue and publisher. Sometimes the stamps were discreetly placed on the back cover, while other times they were more prominently displayed on the front cover. The stamps could be found on a wide range of comics, spanning different genres and publishers.

The presence of these ink stamps has become a notable characteristic for collectors of UK-distributed American comics. Some collectors specifically seek out comics with the Thorpe and Porter ink stamps, as they are considered to be a unique part of the comic's history and provenance. The stamps serve as a tangible reminder of the comics' journey from America to the UK and their distribution through Thorpe and Porter's channels.

It's worth noting that Thorpe and Porter's involvement in the distribution of American comics waned over time, and the practice of using ink stamps on the comics gradually diminished. With the evolution of the comic book industry and changes in distribution methods, the use of ink stamps became less common. However, for comics distributed during the period when Thorpe and Porter played a prominent role, the presence of these ink stamps remains a distinctive feature.

So the most scary thing is that Openai have my Gravatar image although I never gave them it.

I replied to the above with:-

Thorpe and Porter placed ink price stamps on the front covers of comics and magazines, never on the back covers

The reply was as follows:_

Apologies for the incorrect information provided earlier. You are right, Thorpe and Porter typically placed their ink price stamps on the front covers of comics and magazines, not on the back covers. Thank you for pointing out the error.

The ink price stamps were used by Thorpe and Porter to indicate the cost of the comic or magazine in the UK market. These stamps often featured the company's name, "Thorpe & Porter Ltd," along with the price in British currency, such as pence or shillings.

The placement of the ink price stamps varied depending on the specific publication and issue. In some cases, the stamp was placed in the upper right or upper left corner of the front cover, while in others, it could be found in the lower section of the cover. The stamp itself was typically a circular or rectangular imprint, designed to be easily visible to potential buyers.

Collectors of UK-distributed comics and magazines often pay attention to the presence and placement of these ink price stamps. They can provide valuable information about the publication's origin and distribution history. Additionally, the presence of the stamp can sometimes affect the overall condition and desirability of the comic or magazine, as it may impact the artwork or cover quality.

It's important to note that Thorpe and Porter's practice of using ink price stamps on comics and magazines was common during a particular era, primarily from the mid-20th century to the early 1980s. As the comic book industry and distribution methods evolved, the use of ink price stamps became less prevalent.

Once again, I apologize for the earlier misinformation and appreciate your correction.

Just asked 'Which is the world's best football team?' and got this back:

As an AI language model, I don't have real-time data access, and my knowledge cutoff is in September 2021. Therefore, I cannot provide information about the current state of football teams or declare the "world's best" team. The ranking and perception of the best football team can vary based on different factors, such as recent performances, historical success, and personal opinions. Football fans and experts often have their own preferences and biases. I recommend referring to reputable sports websites, following football news, and engaging with fellow football enthusiasts to stay updated on the latest developments in the sport.

Might as well stick a pin in the football coupon.

Facts are one thing, opinion will always be fluid.

I was thinking of asking whether God can change his mind, but I don't think I would be any better informed.

Let's just stick to those colourful little periodicals, preferably the long out of date ones.