• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2023 at 7:14 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Here is a £sd Kenya, Uganda and Tanganyika stamp with Her Maj on, but I think that K, U and T went decimal before 1974.

I had one with a picture of a giraffe on when I were but a lad, possibly with shillings and pence, but the versions I can find online now are all priced in cents.

stamp kut.jpg

There are so many things you're not allowed to even think any more. Am I allowed to say her maj was quite a looker back in the day. There, that's booked my stay in the tower. (Mind you if Boris was never incarcerated for telling her porky pies, I have nothing to fear.)

On 10/8/2023 at 6:58 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Wonder how your haul would be viewed by customs nowadays. There could be a good bit of duty and tax to pay on it....yikes!

No duty as yet on books and magazines, but Government functionaries are always on the lookout for further sources of revenue, so it may come, sooner than you think.

Quite right, too, they have a lot of worthy causes to support.

What reasonable person would object to being asked to put his hand in his pocket to fund the inflation-proof pensions of retired rear admirals and the like.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:23 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

What, like the moderator's attention?? 

A true Englishman of whatever age, intellect or class never passes up on an opportunity to use a toilet joke. It's our Anglo-Saxon forbears to blame apparently.

On 10/8/2023 at 12:58 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Wonder how your haul would be viewed by customs nowadays. There could be a good bit of duty and tax to pay on it....yikes!

As @Albert Tatlock subsequently mentioned, books and magazines being imported into the UK do not attract customs duty. I was not aware of that. I often wondered how US dealers could bring stock worth thousands into the UK for sale at a London Mart and avoid import duty.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:02 AM, themagicrobot said:

Living out here in the wilds of UKville it is only recently I discovered that these are an actual thing.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.c1361adbc14f4c111482419719d4da5d.jpg

Living in the US I had been blissfully unaware of them as well.  I do NOT thank you for curing me of this particular bit of joyful obliviousness.  

Now I'm imagining having to clean those on a regular basis.

On 10/10/2023 at 11:01 AM, themagicrobot said:

The Spider-Man toilet doesn't look very comfortable. Perhaps they should make a Power Girl one with a softer back rest.

smtoilet.jpg.16b3f73d5776d2bbf2069be160b30eed.jpg

Crocodile hands.  :eek:

On 10/10/2023 at 3:14 PM, baggsey said:

As @Albert Tatlock subsequently mentioned, books and magazines being imported into the UK do not attract customs duty. I was not aware of that. I often wondered how US dealers could bring stock worth thousands into the UK for sale at a London Mart and avoid import duty.

There is no duty but it doesnt stop Border force seizing maybe 1 in 5 of everything I have coming in, even though the commodity code is clearly written.

I always claim and get a refund but before you even know its seized, Parcel Force bail it out and you have to pay their fees under ransom of they will return it to sender and you have just paid 100 quid to ship it, so have no choice but to pay them and then claim, then they can charge up to about 20 quid for their service, you can claim that back too but its a lengthy process, so far so good this year, but I havent been buying that much.

They also always blame the sender, I usually get a pic of the package before sent and there is nothing at all wrong with it.

If anyone has their package seized, send me a PM and I will give you info on what to do.

Notice how there is no telephone number, email address or public counter for Border Force.

I am sure that some people just pay it and its going straight in someones pocket as fiddle.

F$@cking Bastiches!!!!

PFletterwithcharges-Copy.thumb.jpg.6797fb34f142a3a93bda688c94e0a9b3.jpg

Refund31-10-22-Copy.thumb.jpg.601d47eeb6db964ba6d1140232166bce.jpg

Edited by Kevin.J

On 10/11/2023 at 12:32 AM, Kevin.J said:

There is no duty but it doesnt stop Border force seizing maybe 1 in 5 of everything I have coming in, even though the commodity code is clearly written.

I always claim and get a refund but before you even know its seized, Parcel Force bail it out and you have to pay their fees under ransom of they will return it to sender and you have just paid 100 quid to ship it, so have no choice but to pay them and then claim, then they can charge up to about 20 quid for their service, you can claim that back too but its a lengthy process, so far so good this year, but I havent been buying that much.

They also always blame the sender, I usually get a pic of the package before sent and there is nothing at all wrong with it.

If anyone has their package seized, send me a PM and I will give you info on what to do.

Notice how there is no telephone number, email address or public counter for Border Force.

I am sure that some people just pay it and its going straight in someones pocket as fiddle.

F$@cking Bastiches!!!!

PFletterwithcharges-Copy.thumb.jpg.6797fb34f142a3a93bda688c94e0a9b3.jpg

Refund31-10-22-Copy.thumb.jpg.601d47eeb6db964ba6d1140232166bce.jpg

What I find baffling about Customs duties is that they make a charge, and then put VAT on top of it.

So you are being taxed for the privilege of having been taxed.

Surely, as HMRC are the recipients of the original charge, the VAT charged to the customer should be MINUS, not PLUS.

But I am not holding my breath.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:32 PM, Kevin.J said:

you have to pay their fees under ransom

This happened to me buying some artwork from France.  Some third party entity here in the USA (IBC inc) intercepted my package and made me sign a power of attorney over to them in order to have my package released (and pay their fees).  I'm on the West coast, and the package came into the US in the East.  It wasn't like I could fly over there and deal with it myself, and I didn't have time to do anything about it before it was intended to be "returned".

I spent some time looking into import art fees since then, and it seemed to me that there is no import tax on original art.  I'm not a lawyer though...  what do I know.  They succeeded in shaking me down.  Shipping mafia.

I used to buy a lot of 12 inch GI Joe bits from the states. Every now and then I'd get stung for import duties plus a £15 admin fee which covered the supposed costs incurred in opening my package. Some got through unscathed while others were held to ransom. On that basis, not knowing that comics were exempt, I used to restrict the value of my comic purchases from the US to the allowable limit, per HMRC website. I had one box of comics arrive from Lone Star Comics (Mycomicshop) in just 5 days. I was amazed. 

Yeah, normally from the US is 5 -10 days, however, I have had stuff from the US in as little as 3 days, worst was when covid was on and the tracking showed my package in Japan :whatthe:

Then after a few months it showed up out of the blue in perfect nick lol