• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2024 at 6:24 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Well, make your minds up, gents. if you are already the largest in the world, why do you have a vision to be the largest in the UK? 

Not sure that's a contradiction. You can be the largest in the world without being the largest in the UK.  

Coca Cola are forever trying to buy Irn Bru from AG Barr because coke is famously the number 1 soft drink everywhere in the world except Scotland*, so they are literally trying to be the no 1 in every individual country, but it's by far the most popular soft drink on the planet. 

*whenever that stat gets rolled out people are keen to point out that it's not true because of places like Cuba and North Korea where coke was banned, which is just silly.  (It is however, not actually the most popular soft drink in Afghanistan, Brazil, China, India, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Thailand or the UAE,  so they have a way to go.  The most popular drink in the UAE, superbly, is Vimto). 

On 1/6/2024 at 10:16 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I'm not sure I'd be able to concentrate Neil. Everyone that came in with Charltons, I'd be looking to make them an offer :eek:

That's the only reason to get into this line of work, Cherry picking the best, selling the rest. 

Isn't that what they all do anyway 🤣

This one was auctioned a few days after Christmas. First time I ever saw a pence stamped book being sold here:

19522735.thumb.jpg.9108c991c643418d5dcf024c50b5f20f.jpg

I was going to bid on it, but unfortunately the price soon went beyond my limited budget

On 1/7/2024 at 11:44 AM, Malacoda said:

(It is however, not actually the most popular soft drink in  Brazil,

Interesting, I did not know that. It`s definitely the most expensive one, unfortunately. 

The film Hue & Cry is currently on TV. It is interesting for many reasons. It was the very first Ealing comedy. It was filmed on location in London in 1947 when many streets were still heaps of bricks and rubble after the WW2 bombing. And the plot revolves around a comic with the unlikely title of “Trump”

The film is available to stream in the U.K. on Film4

45AA1CE9-3F59-4571-A3C8-AC5CDDFB102A.webp.7f54738ee732cc8b0513b88ee7f66d75.webp

23A51B9D-68E9-482D-AC2A-8A4732B1819F.jpeg.09e6b263efa38be1ae793967c4348125.jpeg

On 1/13/2024 at 6:40 PM, themagicrobot said:

I had once purchased that comic brand new after spinning a Thorpe and Porter spinner rack for 10 minutes trying to decide which comic I should buy with the lone 1/- coin clutched firmly in my hand).

It is absolutely astonishing how you can look at comics in your collection and know instantly, despite 40 or 50 years of distance, where and when you bought it and even which other comics you forsook to buy it.   I can tell you right now, without even checking, which was the first issue I owned of every Marvel title and I bet most of you can do the same. 

Aged 10 years old out of a class of 30 split between boys and girls only 5 boys collected comics in any meaningful way although everyone would have been getting at least one U.K. comic each week (usually delivered with the daily paper).

One lad was considered eccentric because he kept a notebook listing the comics he owned. I just memorised the covers

On 1/13/2024 at 6:12 PM, Kromak said:

Interesting, I did not know that. It`s definitely the most expensive one, unfortunately. 

You probably won't be surprised to hear it's Guaraná Antarctica.  I imagine this advert got a different reaction in Argentina to the one it got in Brazil. 

However, Coke in Brazil did pioneer the re-useable bottles which have (they tell us) reduced single use plastic bottles by 90%. I can't understand why they haven't rolled that out globally.  

In 1965 just my owning three or four growing piles of comics on a bedroom dressing table was considered eccentric enough. I've been going through old photos this afternoon and there are loads of the lounge and dining room taken in the 1960s full of gurning relatives surrounded by cigarette smoke. But no photos exist of my childhood bedroom. Shots taken at 6 month intervals from 1965 up to 1974 would be fascinating to me now.

peanutscomicsbig.thumb.jpg.5834d3946c504cf1cc2bf4f6e6638595.jpg

Edited by themagicrobot

On 1/14/2024 at 3:17 PM, themagicrobot said:

Aged 10 years old out of a class of 30 split between boys and girls only 5 boys collected comics in any meaningful way although everyone would have been getting at least one U.K. comic each week (usually delivered with the daily paper).

One lad was considered eccentric because he kept a notebook listing the comics he owned. I just memorised the covers

Going to school in Middlesbrough and Leeds I didn't meet another kid who read or collected comics until I was 16. Or at least the didn't publicly acknowledge it...

On 1/15/2024 at 6:27 AM, nmtg9 said:

Going to school in Middlesbrough and Leeds I didn't meet another kid who read or collected comics until I was 16. Or at least the didn't publicly acknowledge it...

I was the same Neil, UK comics yes but I never knew anyone who collected US comics until my first day at work as an apprentice aged 16, I walked in and another lad (Beefy) starting that day aswell was sat on the wall reading a Superman comic and that was enough to bond and become friends immediately.

On 1/15/2024 at 6:27 AM, nmtg9 said:

I can remember joyfully swapping comics at Junior school (very near Leeds co-incidentally) but it was something one kept quiet about later on at Grammar school.:smile:

I don't remember anyone in my school days being into comics. The first ones I collected were the UK weekly reprints from age 10 but I'd be lying if I said I could remember the first ones I got. I do vividly remember seeing my first US Spidey though - ASM #179 - hanging up in Rodneys in Barking. I have a few vivid comic related memories, but I'm not one of those who remembers every issue. 

On 1/14/2024 at 5:48 PM, OtherEric said:

In yesterday, I already shared it in another thread:

FlashGordon09p.thumb.jpg.180534fcd863ddabd56a198f2a5da46c.jpg

What one's that then :grin:

I haven't had the greatest start to the year so far, so mucking about with King Club has been about all I've been able to concentrate on alongside managing the grading contest participant list. There's still time to join if any of you fancy it:

Grading Contest Sign Up Thread

On 1/17/2024 at 8:51 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

What one's that then :grin:

I haven't had the greatest start to the year so far, so mucking about with King Club has been about all I've been able to concentrate on alongside managing the grading contest participant list. There's still time to join if any of you fancy it:

Grading Contest Sign Up Thread

Here's hoping your year improves in rapid order!

I know there have been times in my life where just about the only joy I've found is in comics, they can be a wonderful escape for a while so we can face the world again.

On 1/17/2024 at 5:21 PM, OtherEric said:

Here's hoping your year improves in rapid order!

I know there have been times in my life where just about the only joy I've found is in comics, they can be a wonderful escape for a while so we can face the world again.

We all get our share, don't we. Thank God for the wonderful diversion of pottering about with comics <3