• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,232 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2024 at 11:35 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

patchouli soaked members of alternative society, for whom my offerings would have been of little interest.

So you didn't have any Doc Strange or Silver Surfer T shirts?

There was a comic shop on the outside at the front, below ground level

?  You mean there were basement shops with steps leading down from the street? 

It would be interesting to know if this coincided with the T&P rep being based there.  Given that his job was to seek and supply retail outlets for comics, he would certainly have supplied an actual comic that was in the same building. 

Edited by Malacoda

Rents, as a consequence, were remarkably low for a city centre location

This explains why T&P were in there.  Their storage seems to be a mix of large outer-city warehouses and depots with smaller units, lock ups, garages, rooms above shops etc in the inner cities where all the newsagents were.  A spacious, cheap rent, dry, easy access, inner-city storage area would have ticked every box for them. 

On 1/31/2024 at 2:21 PM, Malacoda said:

This explains why T&P were in there.  Their storage seems to be a mix of large outer-city warehouses and depots with smaller units, lock ups, garages, rooms above shops etc in the inner cities where all the newsagents were.  A spacious, cheap rent, dry, easy access, inner-city storage area would have ticked every box for them. 

But parking was a problem. No dedicated loading bay, yellow peril on prowl, pencil poised.

You had to be quick in and quick out, not easy if you had any quantity of stock to load/unload.

I got around it by arriving at crack of dawn, before restrictions kicked in.

I think the comic shop concentrated on imports, probably from Titan. No back issues, I seem to remember, so not on my regular search list.

On 1/31/2024 at 2:47 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

I think the comic shop concentrated on imports, probably from Titan

You were saying 60's and early 70's above, but Titan would put us in the 80's? 

On 1/31/2024 at 3:00 PM, Malacoda said:

You were saying 60's and early 70's above, but Titan would put us in the 80's? 

I was in the Corn Exchange in the '80s.

The chances of picking up a bargain at a street market had fizzled out by then. The reference to the 60s and 70s were when it was still possible to unearth, say FF # 1-10 and early Spider-Man, etc, but by the 80s those days were just about over, although there was still fairly recent stuff (say 5 to 10 years old) that could be sold on.

When Frank Dobson's Fantasy Advertiser started to be widely read, say 1967 onwards, the second-hand sources began to dry up, as dealers were buying up everything of value and issuing lists. Even new comics which were in short supply on the newsstands would reappear in FA at a hefty mark-up. Frank typically charged 3/6d for Marvels just a few months old.

Still, if you kept your eyes open, it was possible that a one owner collection would suddenly appear on a local market, but you had to be quick off the mark.

On 2/5/2024 at 11:08 AM, themagicrobot said:

Someone has recently been selling a stack (nine?) of these classed as "New Old Stock" but not mint as they suffer from rusty staple syndrome.

newoldstock.thumb.jpg.07bad7dbfdf58e2f9d1ee7c278722d11.jpg

23.thumb.jpg.cc4c57448c4ea3971f40f781fe93123f.jpg

Get one for @Get Marwood & I.  They love those Mandrakes!!  :banana:

That's a nice Miller logo.  :bigsmile:

I've always liked the look of those Miller Mandrakes but have never collected any. As Robot says, they are often blighted by staple rust. Yoz, that's the same seller who had the romance books. I remember all the electrical parts and stuff.

On 2/5/2024 at 7:16 PM, themagicrobot said:

There are currently still two available on the Bay

66.thumb.jpg.8469fb81a06ba46f367dc56759c7721e.jpg

over

Those pages look to be very white for a seventy (?) year old book. Rather too white imho. Could they be some of the "facsimiles" of 1950s comics that were produced in the !980s?
(Being over forty years old if kept in the wrong conditions could cause the rusty staples).

On 2/5/2024 at 9:08 PM, themagicrobot said:

I thought the only 1980s facsimiles were Marvelman family stuff?

No, the Whitworth *ahem* facsimiles comprised of dozens of 50s titles. I have one of their old catalogues somewhere, I'll dig it out sometime (it's too late now).

On 2/5/2024 at 9:08 PM, themagicrobot said:

1962 so 62 years young. I think they are original and genuine. I will know for sure when mine arrives 😊 

I thought the only 1980s facsimiles were Marvelman family stuff?

Unnaturally white pages and better paper quality is easily discernible, especially when held side by side with an original.

You'd have to be a Magician to work out where those bars have gone...

Capture.PNG.36be14c17cfd3423dfebe4a07db83739.PNG

...not to mention the upwardly dematerialising pane of glass....

lothar.thumb.png.904a240c27dfc4ca7c14cfad39d1ff42.png

"What the focaccia's happened there, boss?"

"Difficult to say, Lothar...difficult to say..."