• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,245 posts in this topic

I'm a bit late to this party, so apologies if I'm off base, but I find it hard to believe that there would be any printed material difference for the 5,000 or fewer subscription copies that Marvel declared in their statement of ownership figures. You think there'd be a custom print run in effect just for the tiny minority who subscribed? I find that a bit of a stretch.

On 4/10/2023 at 3:08 AM, OtherEric said:

I could be wrong, but I believe the "Marvel Subscription Insert Included" means a subscription ad bound inside the book similar to a Mark Jewelers insert, not that it is somehow a subscription copy.  I can't imagine why a subscriber would get a 3rd print in any case.

You're right. I've seen one of those inserts in a Classic Conan from 1993 or so. It's a card bound into the book to post off with your subscription order. 

On 4/10/2023 at 9:24 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I'm a bit late to this party, so apologies if I'm off base, but I find it hard to believe that there would be any printed material difference for the 5,000 or fewer subscription copies that Marvel declared in their statement of ownership figures. You think there'd be a custom print run in effect just for the tiny minority who subscribed? I find that a bit of a stretch.

My friend, you've asked exactly the right question.  Just in case you all think I've completely flipped my lid, this is to do with the product codes, which literally no one in the world but me cares about (......I have actually asked around the world and apparently it's literally just me).  If we look at Rolling Stone (which was printed by WCP in Sparta), you can see that the newsstand issues (which appear to be distributed by our old friends IND, so a very good point of comparison), have the product codes added but the subscription issues do not. (Examples to follow).  Now, as we know, with Marvel & DC comics, the product codes get added to the newsstand editions in 1971 (there being no direct editions at this point).  When the direct editions come along, they do not have the product codes.  Later they acquire them, but I think that is more because they acquire the bar codes which have the product codes on them.  When the direct editions start, there were virtually no comic shops with the tech to scan codes, but by the 90's it was sufficiently common than even your humble LCS had the tech (and if they didn't, they could still ring it up old style).  

Examples (note that you can easily identify subscription editions of Rolling Stone from the early 70's because the newsprint paper made it impossible to tear the subscription sticker off without tearing it). 

1 rs  feb 17  1972  no code subscription.jpg

1 rs feb 1972  code newsstand.png

So basically, I'm trying to find out if the subscription editions were just the newsstand editions or if they had variances, in particular the variance of not having a product code.  As we can see from the Rolling Stone issues, World Press were indeed printing subscription issues without the product code and newsstand issues with it. This is extremely interesting. I mean, as long you're me, that is. Obviously. 

On 4/10/2023 at 9:24 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I find it hard to believe that there would be any printed material difference for the 5,000 or fewer subscription copies that Marvel declared in their statement of ownership figures. You think there'd be a custom print run in effect just for the tiny minority who subscribed? I find that a bit of a stretch.

In the immortal words of Warren Schmidt, I hope you're sitting down, Ndugu. 

These are indicia from Avengers 209 (same month as Eric's Star Wars 49) direct and newsstand, and they're identical but note the line that says "Controlled circulation postage paid at Sparta, Illinois"

image.thumb.png.c76191084c9eb3fd50683a78a80eb439.png

image.thumb.jpeg.9f001b46bbffdb03dfcd0107fca0b57e.jpeg

but Eric's indicia from his subscription issue says "Controlled Circulation postage paid in New York NY and at additional mailing office"

sw49indicia.jpg.cb1f1e315c35ef2028bd3a156a3a15f2.jpg

So we do seemingly have a difference in the indicias for subscription issues, specifically relating to the postage, as you might expect.  I would conclude that the domestic (US) subscriptions were all mailed directly from Sparta but international ones like Eric's were shipped to Marvel and someone there was in charge of printing off the labels and mailing abroad.  What's interesting is this not just a different print run for the small number of subscription issues but for the presumably miniscule number of overseas subscriptions.   Might not be the case, might be that all the subscription issues have the NY indicia, but I reckon not as we know that the domestic ones were mailed from Sparta previously and the indicias from this very time say very clearly the postage was paid in Sparta.

Anyone reckon we've discovered a new variant here today? 

Best hang onto those, Eric.  You might be sitting on a gold mine. :flipbait:

(Obviously, this needs some more homework first) .  

Edited by Malacoda

On 4/10/2023 at 10:59 PM, Malacoda said:

In the immortal words of Warren Schmidt, I hope you're sitting down, Ndugu. 

These are indicia from Avengers 209 (same month as Eric's Star Wars 49) direct and newsstand, and they're identical but note the line that says "Controlled circulation postage paid at Sparta, Illinois"

image.thumb.png.c76191084c9eb3fd50683a78a80eb439.png

image.thumb.jpeg.9f001b46bbffdb03dfcd0107fca0b57e.jpeg

but Eric's indicia from his subscription issue says "Controlled Circulation postage paid in New York NY and at additional mailing office"

sw49indicia.jpg.cb1f1e315c35ef2028bd3a156a3a15f2.jpg

So we do seemingly have a difference in the indicias for subscription issues, specifically relating to the postage, as you might expect.  I would conclude that the domestic (US) subscriptions were all mailed directly from Sparta but international ones like Eric's were shipped to Marvel and someone there was in charge of printing off the labels and mailing abroad.  What's interesting is this not just a different print run for the small number of subscription issues but for the presumably miniscule number of overseas subscriptions.   Might not be the case, might be that all the subscription issues have the NY indicia, but I reckon not as we know that the domestic ones were mailed from Sparta previously and the indicias from this very time say very clearly the postage was paid in Sparta.

Anyone reckon we've discovered a new variant here today? 

Best hang onto those, Eric.  You might be sitting on a gold mine. :flipbait:

(Obviously, this needs some more homework first) .  

Well I never......I'm glad my hat tastes nice.......chomp, chew, gulp.........:whatthe: :fear:You've opened the door on a Pandora's Tupperware full of worms!

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 4/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, themagicrobot said:

In that case here is Gardeners' World.

:bigsmile:  Are you, by any chance, of the opinion that I may have strayed from our main focus, Robot? 

I did actually look for product codes across a range of magazines & comics looking for product codes on their own or later on bar codes and it's interesting  that there is absolutely zero consistency.  Comics acquire product codes from July 1971 and bar codes in between 1975 and 1978.  (Marvel and DC in June & May  1976). 

345548445_171c.jpg.b5e993edd12b178aa94a9e6caf1e03d9.jpg184988237_171b.jpg.9ed372a7a889007147d1e50730736195.jpg

665816328_171a.thumb.jpg.722791d1c0df24ec27ebf6943c20a770.jpg

Sports Illustrated, despite also being printed at Sparta, never acquires a product code until it eventually gets a bar code in August 1979. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f8082f3c5a6bd6f7978d0cc4651309b1.jpeg

Playboy magazine (or Playbot magazine to you) does not acquire a bar code until May 1986, fully 10 years after its invention.  By the way, you know how when you're searching for something like this (the introduction of a change to a cover, not playboy) it takes ages to find the changeover point?  Check this out.  Some helpful soul posted a pic of the last 2 Playboys before the bar code and the first 2 with it all in one pic.  If only every search ended like this. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5d0c61f5cbe652ededbd1a340edb8757.jpeg

Also, while we're here, I see your Gardener's World and raise you this.   Check out Aunt May!! ( Now there's a sentence I never expected to write). 

image.thumb.jpeg.d4e1f8ddd689c80a8aee918f1443ed4b.jpeg

Edited by Malacoda

On 4/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Well I never......I'm glad my hat tastes nice.......chomp, chew, gulp.........:whatthe: :fear:

I know, right? Of course, Eric and I discussed how that couldn't possibly be the case, so, of course....it was! 

Cool emoji combo, btw.  

On 4/11/2023 at 5:15 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Every time it looks like we might have got to information overload, the horizon recedes away from us.

I know. Sorry.  I am actually building towards a theory of 1971 that explains Marvel's move to World and the DC PV's, so the horizon might draw a little closer. 

(Then it will get expertly dismantled in a way that will raise even more questions, obviously).

On 4/11/2023 at 8:15 PM, themagicrobot said:

For what it is worth here is a DC comic (Flash 145) with a nice subscription crease and another news stand issue. Both indicia are the same.

Interesting. I've seen those DC indicias that are split down the middle before and wondered why.  When you see this, it's almost like they're designed to be folded in two.  If you could possibly find one from post July 71, I'd love to know if the subscription issues had the product codes on them.  Thanks for this. 

On 4/11/2023 at 8:56 PM, Malacoda said:

Interesting. I've seen those DC indicias that are split down the middle before and wondered why.  When you see this, it's almost like they're designed to be folded in two.  If you could possibly find one from post July 71, I'd love to know if the subscription issues had the product codes on them.  Thanks for this. 

I have only glanced over the recent posts here, so sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick here :foryou:

I just had a quick look at some scans, the earliest Spidey with a sub crease I can see is #148 mid 70s I guess without checking

The earliest Avengers I have is King Size Annual 2 1968 I believe

...or some carefree kid just had them in his pocket :) 

Those are the only titles I looked at, did you need a specific title ?

If you need any inside info, I can get it tomorrow if needed.

148.thumb.jpg.b44a7ada7c939810e1af107cbd2af438.jpg

AvengersKSAnnual2.thumb.jpg.7ed6d1c434dd1c1abc25b9aabae8059c.jpg

On 4/11/2023 at 10:54 PM, Kevin.J said:

I have only glanced over the recent posts here, so sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick here :foryou:

I just had a quick look at some scans, the earliest Spidey with a sub crease I can see is #148 mid 70s I guess without checking

The earliest Avengers I have is King Size Annual 2 1968 I believe

...or some carefree kid just had them in his pocket :) 

Those are the only titles I looked at, did you need a specific title ?

If you need any inside info, I can get it tomorrow if needed.

148.thumb.jpg.b44a7ada7c939810e1af107cbd2af438.jpg

AvengersKSAnnual2.thumb.jpg.7ed6d1c434dd1c1abc25b9aabae8059c.jpg

I love you and I've always loved you.  The Avengers is 1968 so too old (IND and pre product code, though it was printed at Sparta), but the Spidey is dead on.  Ideally what I'm after is any Marvels between July 1971 and May 1976 cover dates that were definitely subscription issues.  No specific titles. And the thing we need to check is the indicias (subscription vs newsstand) for any differences, so if you could do a quick photo, scan or whatever is easiest of the indicias of any subscription issues, that would be perfect.  Many, many thanks. 

Also, don't need to be Marvels.  DC (same dates) just as good. Might be good to have both (although if Marvel turns out to be different from DC, I will have an aneurism).   

Edited by Malacoda
I put 'different to' instead of 'different from'