• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,245 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2023 at 10:16 AM, Malacoda said:

You went full nerd.  Everyone knows you never go full nerd, man.  :bigsmile:

I think I went full nerd about age 4.  But the stuff I got grief about in school now just looks like I was ahead of the curve.

Seriously, we live in a world where almost nobody seems to think collecting comic books is a weird hobby for a grown adult... even if some people don't get us enjoying the books as well as them being a potential investment.  It's a much nicer place in than regard than when I was growing up.

On 3/30/2023 at 10:14 AM, yrag9591 said:

I bow to no-one in my love for Walthamstow, but a seaside paradise? No. I was born there, and lived there and in Chingford for about 40 years. I’d move back if I could!

Sorry to hear you're a lost soul, mate.  Moving out of London is a real one way ticket, isn't it?  I was lucky enough to hang on. In my teens and early 20's, when I walked down my local high street, I would be constantly nodding and saying hello to people I was at school with (or my siblings were).  The amount of times I bump into an old school friend now is literally never.  

On 3/30/2023 at 6:22 PM, OtherEric said:

Seriously, we live in a world where almost nobody seems to think collecting comic books is a weird hobby for a grown adult

What a time to be alive!  (seriously).  I agree, the combo of madly high prices, a world that collectors can genuinely nerd up over and movies that are undeniably brilliant - even if you hate them, you can't argue with the production values & effects - has really enabled us to finally stumble, blinking and coughing, into the light.   

On 3/30/2023 at 10:20 AM, themagicrobot said:

The thing that has changed is that back then an old comic was sold for half its original cover price. The modern equivalent of those Market stalls is the Antique Centres which have sprung up everywhere. Often containing dozens if not hundreds of different sellers many of which who now think any old comic (often in poor condition) is worth a fortune.

I used to cycle round a variety of dusty old shops as I'm sure everyone on this thread did.  When you went into a new high street you could sniff out the shop that might have a box of silver age gold from half a mile away.  Particularly if you had dust allergies.  My favourites were Books, Bits & Bobs in Kingston and the intriguingly named West Middlesex Books And Things (not least intriguing because it was on Middlesex's eastern border with Richmond) but the one that always annoyed me was Marion Pitman Books down by Twickenham Green, because despite just having a few random comics in a tatty box on a shelf, they actually knew the value of the comics. B'stards.   

On 3/30/2023 at 10:24 AM, chaddesden33 said:

Anything over two years old made you feel like you'd discovered an ancient --script!

This is something I try not to think about.  Whenever I'd go through a box of old comics looking for (relatively recent) Marvel comics, I'd always been disappointed at all the old 'rubbish' I had to wade through whilst panning for Marvels. I can only imagine what treasures I dismissed because they didn't have the right logo.  

On 4/2/2023 at 3:48 PM, Malacoda said:

Have you noticed how GBD carried on using the old T&P stamps up to (cover date) Nov 1977 and then bought a new bunch of non-branded stamps exactly 3 months before they went over to PV's?  If you allow for the production/distribution window, it ties up  i.e.  the Feb cover dated comics were the first PVs and they were on sale in the US in November, so the point at which GBD start using non-branded stamps is the same point at which they must have commissioned the first PV's to be printed.   So this is potentially the point at which MH take over GBD.  Need to do some more work there. 

Yes, it's fun plotting the stamp / sticker types and seeing how they match up. I've studied what I call the 'second' T&P phase for Charlton in this respect - example below - and the use of branded and unbranded stamps, and also stickers, is quite consistent across the titles during the 72~77 five year window:

Capture.thumb.PNG.2e83a5e3e95d380b6b73baa69d33f2f1.PNG

The use of stickers to reprice already dual UK/US priced books stands out quite clearly here too.

All good fun :)

So in November 1973,  Charltons cost 20c and are stamped at 6p. 

Then in December, they're stamped at 7p or have dual pricing, but if dual pricing it's at 6p. 

Then in January 1974, they're dual priced at 6p, but with 7p stickers over the 6p, or are cents copies stamped at 7p. 

Then in Feb dual priced at 6p, but with 8p stickers. 

Then the 74 hiatus. 

Then in May 74, the US price goes up to 25c, but the dual printed price remains at 6p, however the dual price is again stickered over at 8p.

OK, well that seems like a pretty smooth operation.  The 1978 DC thing reminds me of decimalisation at T&P.  It's weird how T&P carried on using the old stamps for years after the numbers had stopped meaning anything, and then right before decimalisation, they changed to the ampersand stamp, but still at old money when that was clearly the moment to go new or dual.  Then they introduce a dual old/new money stamp which was clearly a great idea, except they only use it for one month and then go over to a third new set of stamps with decimal pricing.  I'm guessing that a very pretty girl started working at the stamp shop.  I can't work out why else it suddenly became necessary to buy a new set of stamps every month.  Even more weirdly (and don't take this to the bank because I've only checked it on 2 or 3 titles),  they go over to unbranded stamps from (cd) Aug 1975, which makes a lot of sense as the company has just restructured and the T&P warehouse is now the GBD warehouse.  However, when the price changes from 10p to 12p in August 1976, the newly minted 12p stamps say T&P again, which is weird because I think T&P barely exists at this point except as a largely defunct imprint of Warner Communications. Then right before they go over to PV's (or more likely at the same time), they change back to a new set of (unbranded) stamps. Must be new because they're 12p.  But these are not created for a price change. They just happen. 

My theory about the dual stamps in 1970 was always that they were made without a T&P brand deliberately but without enough forethought.  The dual pricing 5p and 1/- was the best idea, but I think it caused issues identifying the distributor as the T&P logo was so familiar. I theorised they realised their mistake and ordered new stamps with the name back on.  The stamp was too small to legibly support the name and 2 different price variations so they did the unthinkable and went decimal. 

However, all the malarky over the next 8 years makes me think it could have been anything.  Just anything, I tell you!!!

image.gif.08533694b3843cd80523f6575bc3c2cf.gif

On 4/6/2023 at 10:32 PM, Malacoda said:

I assume that 9d is a sticker?

Also, is there a phone number for Miss Smooth & Fragrant?

Miss Smooth and Fragrant is involved, so we are told, with a mob of vicious assassins.

As opposed to a mob of touchy-feely nurturing assassins?