• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Distribution of US Published Comics in the UK (1959~1982)
15 15

6,264 posts in this topic

Well done. Another No Prize. Nail it to the wall of your choice. I was just about to post a tumbleweed gif. There seem to only be five or six people ever reading/posting in  this thread. Is @OtherEric the only person on the other side of the Atlantic with an interest in comics/pulps/paperbacks/Alan Class/everything like us rather than all those people whose life revolves around "keys" whatever they may be,??

stanlee.jpg.3fde12a35486e097b491b7cccab413b4.jpg

On 5/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, themagicrobot said:

I was just about to post a tumbleweed gif

I was interested but didn't know.  I would have guessed Stan, because, well, who else?  This is clearly from when he was still middle aged (before he started getting younger). 

On 5/25/2023 at 8:12 PM, themagicrobot said:

If there are any 15 cent Incredible Hulk 137s with T&P ink price stamps, being from 1971 I would think they'd show 5p rather than 1/- ? Shillings are more a 1969/1970 thing.

Yes, you're right. Paradoxically, the PV's stayed in old money all the way until the GS moment of madness, but the stamps went decimal in Aug/Sept 1970. 

You have to love the 'still 1/-'.  

Picture 1 of 7

On 5/25/2023 at 12:41 PM, themagicrobot said:

Well done. Another No Prize. Nail it to the wall of your choice. I was just about to post a tumbleweed gif. There seem to only be five or six people ever reading/posting in  this thread. Is @OtherEric the only person on the other side of the Atlantic with an interest in comics/pulps/paperbacks/Alan Class/everything like us rather than all those people whose life revolves around "keys" whatever they may be,??

stanlee.jpg.3fde12a35486e097b491b7cccab413b4.jpg

@Yorick got annoyed when I tried to describe myself as "the yank" in the Alan Class thread, rather than "one of the yanks", so I'm not the only one.  It's a fairly small group, though.

I don't think I've ever actually seen the photo in its original context from Fantasy Masterpieces, but I've seen it before several other places.  Trying to figure out why I remembered the rolled up comic in his hand but not the hat when I saw the bottom of the picture, though.

Yorick got annoyed when I tried to describe myself as "the yank" in the Alan Class thread, rather than "one of the yanks", so I'm not the only one.  It's a fairly small group, though.

So you two must have super powers that enable you to see and participate in this thread whilst it remains invisible to all your bretheren??

Anyway, this is not so much a Quiz as mere curiosity on my part. What was the first regular comic cover (not a fanzine or a book on the history of comics) that featured both Batman and Spider-Man?? I think I know but I could be wrong. It is not this one from the dark ages of comics.

spidermanbatman.thumb.jpg.a5cc3d3544654db5b24612b4c9154732.jpg

On 5/26/2023 at 2:54 AM, themagicrobot said:

So you two must have super powers that enable you to see and participate in this thread whilst it remains invisible to all your bretheren??

Anyway, this is not so much a Quiz as mere curiosity on my part. What was the first regular comic cover (not a fanzine or a book on the history of comics) that featured both Batman and Spider-Man?? I think I know but I could be wrong. It is not this one from the dark ages of comics.

spidermanbatman.thumb.jpg.a5cc3d3544654db5b24612b4c9154732.jpg

I'm guessing it's an UK or international book, but beyond that I really don't have a clue.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:32 PM, OtherEric said:

I'm not the only one.

I get my daily laughs here, and I keep waiting for that grand conclusion to the stamp mystery that'll sum it all up nicely, tied with a bow. Cherry on top.  :foryou:

Not sure if you all know about this audio treat tomorrow night at 8pm, but Archive on 4 (BBC Radio 4) is on the decades long cosmic rivalry between Marvel and DC. It's an hour long and will be available to listen on their website for 30 days after broadcast. The blurb sounds good and I'd recommend it!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001mbmw

Edited by LowGradeBronze

@LowGradeBronze Thanks for the Heads-up. (Or should that be Ears-up?). But so often I'm disappointed when anyone mentions comics on TV/Radio/Newspaper. There have been some stinkers. I remember an article in the Times newspaper where they talked about Spider-Man using his magical powers to emit webs from his hands. The only decent TV show I recall was Jonathan Ross with "In Search of Steve Ditko". I think the world is long overdue for a TV show just about comics. Podcasts are OK but you really need the visuals. If they can make TV shows about sculpting with chainsaws surely anything is possible.

Edited by themagicrobot

On 5/26/2023 at 8:31 PM, themagicrobot said:

If they can make TV shows about sculpting with chainsaws surely anything is possible.

(I'd like to see "Juggling With Chainsaws" but it was cut short.......:facepalm:..)

I'll give it a go and pop a line here if it's rubbish. I expect something half way decent from R4 though. Am I showing my age?  

On 5/26/2023 at 10:54 AM, themagicrobot said:

What was the first regular comic cover (not a fanzine or a book on the history of comics) that featured both Batman and Spider-Man??

No idea, but in the meantime, where do I get this poster....?

image.png

Edited by Malacoda

They interviewed Paul Levitz, Jim Shooter, Ann Nocenti and Chris Claremont among others for that programme Archive on 4, and you also hear from Frank Miller and Alan Moore. There are clips featuring Stan and Jack too. I felt it was an interesting hour well spent drawing parallels as well as the differences between the big two moving through the 60s to the 80s & 90s. They also went through the Captain Marvel lawsuit (Fawcett Vs DC,) during which time Fawcett we unable to publish CM, so Marvel nipped in quick and took on the name. They covered a lot of ground well, I felt. Give it a go, link above in my earlier post.

A few days ago somewhere on the Interweb some Smart Alec said:-

this is not so much a Quiz as mere curiosity on my part. What was the first regular comic cover (not a fanzine or a book on the history of comics) that featured both Batman and Spider-Man?? 

At first I thought it may well have been the moment when the Odhams UK weekly  "Power comic" Pow! (which featured Spider-Man) was combined with Smash! (which featured Batman). There were a few issues of those comics in 1968 that featured both characters in separate stories but they were never on the cover together or in a story together. After exhaustive research lasting at least 5 minutes I now believe it would be this Marvel comic, cover dated September 1967 that answers the Smart Alec's question as to what was the first comic featuring the Spider and the Bat together (unless someone else knows otherwise??).

NotBrandEchh2.thumb.jpg.5b2991ef1cd2a03f6b620d1614d0e5b7.jpg

firstpage.thumb.jpg.d5a03223a17b1dba4da271053f6e9ce5.jpg

fan.thumb.jpg.a3d7e18db14f60da2f6bd15f9a177aea.jpg

Sorry boys, the wife fell down the stairs and fractured her arm last week, so we've been a bit busy (she's OK, but it shook us up a bit).

On 5/28/2023 at 7:07 PM, themagicrobot said:

After exhaustive research lasting at least 5 minutes I now believe it would be this Marvel comic, cover dated September 1967 that answers the Smart Alec's question as to what was the first comic featuring the Spider and the Bat together (unless someone else knows otherwise??)

Being an ex-Spidey completist, I should know this. And I do!

Brave & The Bold #64 (Feb/Mar 1966) beats that NBE by a year and a bit:

braveandthebold64a.thumb.jpg.1d3232d6ecafc4c19d06d6396bd025b9.jpgbraveandthebold64b.thumb.PNG.42bb172399f3ec8587b3f4eb5919c0df.PNG

Let the arguments commence! :bigsmile:

On 5/28/2023 at 7:07 PM, themagicrobot said:

At first I thought it may well have been the moment when the Odhams UK weekly  "Power comic" Pow! (which featured Spider-Man) was combined with Smash! (which featured Batman).

Now you're talking.  I love the fact that Terrific comics no 1 had an iron-on transfer of Iron Man. I'm sure there's a word for that.....

terrific1gift.jpg?enable-io=true&enable=upscale&width=310terrific1.jpg?enable-io=true&enable=upscale&width=310

On 5/30/2023 at 8:43 PM, Malacoda said:

That's such a cool spot, I don't imagine there'll be any arguments. 

There were a few in the Spidey completist group as I recall. Some of the books we chased down had the most tenuous Spidey links imaginable. But this one was nailed on for me - hoo else would say hoo boy whilst snapping that shot?

On 5/30/2023 at 8:48 PM, Malacoda said:

Now you're talking.  I love the fact that Terrific comics no 1 had an iron-on transfer of Iron Man. I'm sure there's a word for that.....

terrific1gift.jpg?enable-io=true&enable=upscale&width=310terrific1.jpg?enable-io=true&enable=upscale&width=310

:bigsmile:

....followed by a sticker of Spidey and a Mr Fantastic branded elastic band no doubt...