• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC protective sleeves

16 posts in this topic

I bought some awesome protective sleeves for CGC cases on Ebay about two years ago. They are much better than the ones the CGC books come in.

Well, I went to get a sleeve for the Rosa Witching Hour 38 that I received today, and discovered I was out of sleeves.

Can someone please tell me where I can get more heavy duty protective sleeves?

I saw some 2 mil on the Bill Cole site, but the shipping they charge is outrageous.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I found 3 mil protective bags at Bags Unlimited.

$30.00 including shipping for 100 bags.

Bags Unlimited has the best bags for slabs ever.

Been using them for years.

Thanks.

These have flaps that fold over and have adhesives, right?

Thanks.

These have flaps that fold over and have adhesives, right?

Yeah, there is an adhesive strip on the flap. They also come in 2 sizes.

what puzzles me, is, why slaba comic in non archival plastics, then, make matters worse by placing the slab into a polyupropeline (or some other non mylar) closed plastic baggy?? If the comics can breathe at all through the slab, its not going to like the available air inside the bag, is it? And this is all so no scratches mar the slab's surface?

I use the slab-bags mainly because it is much more aesthetic than the bags that CGC uses. You don't have the loose bag stuff at the top like you would with the CGc bags.

Yes, the slab-bags also prevent scratches on the surface of the slab.

what puzzles me, is, why slaba comic in non archival plastics, then, make matters worse by placing the slab into a polyupropeline (or some other non mylar) closed plastic baggy?? If the comics can breathe at all through the slab, its not going to like the available air inside the bag, is it? And this is all so no scratches mar the slab's surface?

You're right. The air inside non-mylar bags is terrible. I have been thinking about having mylar protective bags specially made for my slabbed books. But then I started thinking about the poor quality of those cardboard CGC size boxes. frustrated.gif So maybe I will have those specially made also. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hmmm...what about the house I live in? The air is probably harmful for my books. I may consult with the Document Preservation Department at the Smithsonian to find out what kind of house I should have built. And what kind of air filtration system I should use and precisely at what temperature? foreheadslap.gif Maybe a "house in a vaccuum" would be better. You know, without any air at all. confused-smiley-013.gif But then I woke up last night and started wondering about the polution surrounding the house in the city that I live in..... 893whatthe.gif

Oh well, maybe I will just stick with some regular bags for my bronze slabs after all. smile.gif

You're right. The air inside non-mylar bags is terrible. I have been thinking about having mylar protective bags specially made for my slabbed books. But then I started thinking about the poor quality of those cardboard CGC size boxes. frustrated.gif So maybe I will have those specially made also. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hmmm...what about the house I live in? The air is probably harmful for my books. I may consult with the Document Preservation Department at the Smithsonian to find out what kind of house I should have built. And what kind of air filtration system I should use and precisely at what temperature? foreheadslap.gif Maybe a "house in a vaccuum" would be better. You know, without any air at all. confused-smiley-013.gif But then I woke up last night and started wondering about the polution surrounding the house in the city that I live in..... 893whatthe.gif

Oh well, maybe I will just stick with some regular bags for my bronze slabs after all. smile.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

i know... it never ends!! but at least we gotta try to keep the layers CLOSEST to the comic paper as inert as possible...

sign-funnypost.gif

i know... it never ends!! but at least we gotta try to keep the layers CLOSEST to the comic paper as inert as possible...

Precisely. I am not sold on the materials CGC uses to slab books. That is one reason I have submitted exactly 3 raw books to CGC for grading. And those 3 were nothing special - I had no idea what I was doing at the time (not that I do now insane.gif).

I have about 200 raw books that I think are investment grade. They are sitting in mylites with BCE life-x-tender backing boards, and both of those inside 4 mil mylars. I could be mistaken, but I think they will stay preserved there better than in the CGC slab.

I pretty much stick to buying CGC slabbed books on Ebay now only because "high grade" raw books are mostly overgraded. 893blahblah.gif

..thats why I have slabs... dont wanna buy raw anymore except in person. For archival purposes I wish I could take the books out, but, that just means Id have to reslab to sell and who knows if Ill get teh same grade again? Not that Im worried about CGC consistency or anything

..thats why I have slabs... dont wanna buy raw anymore except in person. For archival purposes I wish I could take the books out, but, that just means Id have to reslab to sell and who knows if Ill get teh same grade again? Not that Im worried about CGC consistency or anything

I crack out generally anything that meets the following criteria:

1) Not GA...most of the GA I've submitted myself , for resto checks and such. Or I bought them slabbed and have found beat reader copies or reprints. So I keep them liquid in case I want to make a quick sale or trade for something better that pops up.

2) Sells for less than $100

3) Graded at less than 9.4 (though I've cracked out a few low-dollar 9.4s and 9.6s, too).

Dunno for sure, but I've probably cracked out about 40 slabs at this point...it just takes up so much less storage space, plus I can stack my raw comic shortboxes. I'm too squeamish about stacking CGC boxes for fear that the weight will crack the slabs. Once somebody invents a nice sturdy filing cabinet for CGC books that can hold hundreds of slabs per cabinet, I will be less likely to crack out my low-dollar slabs (russ, are you listening? know any carpenters?).

Once somebody invents a nice sturdy filing cabinet for CGC books that can hold hundreds of slabs per cabinet, I will be less likely to crack out my low-dollar slabs (russ, are you listening? know any carpenters?).

That sturdy "DrawerBox" looks like it would fit the bill if they designed a CGC version...market is wide open for anyone willing to go for it...I for one need the space and convenience of front loading and stacking in limited space.