• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age pedigree thread
3 3

503 posts in this topic

On 5/13/2024 at 1:35 PM, LordRahl said:

I'm the sucker that bought the "upgraded" copy I guess. S'okay, it lives in it's natural, raw state in one of my boxes now. Don't remember what it was when I bought it... 9.0 or 9.2 I think?

Chris, everybody who's been collecting for a long time in the CGC era has bought plenty of upgraded books, so no biggie.  I remember that Northland book looking really sweet in a mylar with backing board.  I bought it from Motor City when they first brought the collection to market.

that is a good query---what is your fave silver age pedigreed cover in your collection?   never really thought about it, but it might be this one; one of my very favorite s.a. books.

cap113boston.jpeg

On 5/13/2024 at 5:34 PM, Straw-Man said:

that is a good query---what is your fave silver age pedigreed cover in your collection?   never really thought about it, but it might be this one; one of my very favorite s.a. books.

This might seem unusual, but since it's always been the Spider and his biggest villain is Gobby, it's this one.

Amazing Spider-Man 40 Mexican Edition 7.0 w Fantucchio.jpg

On 5/13/2024 at 3:34 PM, Straw-Man said:

This might not qualify as it's not a "recognized" pedigree by CGC, but here it is anyway.  Fun fact: this is also the first slab I ever acquired; got it directly from Mile High at SDCC back in ... oh, I forget now.  Around '03 or '04.

Speaking of pedigrees, does anyone know of a useful (aka "within the realm of 'accurate'") rule-of-thumb type of guide to how much of a premium a pedigree should command vs. the same book in the same grade that's not a pedigree?  Been looking at a book on Ebay for a while now (even tried messaging the seller without any luck) that is listed at 4x the FMV of that book in that grade just because it's a pedigree.  Sounded wrong to me, but hoping to find some kind of web page/YT video/etc. to confirm one way or the other.  Thanks.

20240514_145629[1].jpg

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 6:20 PM, Jstan70 said:

This might not qualify as it's not a "recognized" pedigree by CGC....

So who says that CGC's is the final word on the subject? (Other than CGC themselves of course.)

On 5/14/2024 at 6:20 PM, Jstan70 said:

Speaking of pedigrees, does anyone know of a useful (aka "within the realm of 'accurate'") rule-of-thumb type of guide to how much of a premium a pedigree should command vs. the same book in the same grade that's not a pedigree?  Been looking at a book on Ebay for a while now (even tried messaging the seller without any luck) that is listed at 4x the FMV of that book in that grade just because it's a pedigree.  Sounded wrong to me, but hoping to find some kind of web page/YT video/etc. to confirm one way or the other. 

Well 4x is ridiculous. I might pay 20-25% more depending upon the scarcity of the issue and how much I want that particular issue.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/15/2024 at 6:20 AM, Jstan70 said:

Speaking of pedigrees, does anyone know of a useful (aka "within the realm of 'accurate'") rule-of-thumb type of guide to how much of a premium a pedigree should command vs. the same book in the same grade that's not a pedigree?  Been looking at a book on Ebay for a while now (even tried messaging the seller without any luck) that is listed at 4x the FMV of that book in that grade just because it's a pedigree.  Sounded wrong to me, but hoping to find some kind of web page/YT video/etc. to confirm one way or the other.

Depends on the pedigree, grade/PQ of the book in question and the rarity of the book in that grade/PQ. 

Some SA pedigrees I value much more highly than others, particularly Curator, Pacific Coast and Western Penn.  Other SA pedigrees I attach little to no value to, particularly Savannah and Mohawk. 

Also, if there are a ton of other copies (pedigree and/or non-pedigree) as good or better as the pedigree book, then I would attach very little (or any) premium to the book.  For example, is there really anything premium about a 9.6 Rocky Mountain or Oakland Marvel from the mid- or late-1960s that is one of many 9.6 copies and behind many 9.8 copies in the Census? 

The whole reason a mystique developed around pedigrees in the first place was that they contained pristine copies of books that were otherwise impossible to find in such condition.  So GA pedigrees and then SA pedigrees that contained books from the 1950s and early 1960s that were impossible to find in grade.  But pristine books from 1968 are as common as dirt, so there's nothing particularly special about a pedigree book from that period being pristine.

On 5/14/2024 at 3:39 AM, LordRahl said:

And probably my favorite cover in my collection that is from a ped

tos49_cgc94_15005_Fantucchio.jpg

A former super key, heck it still is for a lot established collectors.

That is a gorgeous copy (thumbsu

On 5/15/2024 at 1:51 AM, tth2 said:

Depends on the pedigree, grade/PQ of the book in question and the rarity of the book in that grade/PQ. 

Some SA pedigrees I value much more highly than others, particularly Curator, Pacific Coast and Western Penn.  Other SA pedigrees I attach little to no value to, particularly Savannah and Mohawk. 

Also, if there are a ton of other copies (pedigree and/or non-pedigree) as good or better as the pedigree book, then I would attach very little (or any) premium to the book.  For example, is there really anything premium about a 9.6 Rocky Mountain or Oakland Marvel from the mid- or late-1960s that is one of many 9.6 copies and behind many 9.8 copies in the Census? 

The whole reason a mystique developed around pedigrees in the first place was that they contained pristine copies of books that were otherwise impossible to find in such condition.  So GA pedigrees and then SA pedigrees that contained books from the 1950s and early 1960s that were impossible to find in grade.  But pristine books from 1968 are as common as dirt, so there's nothing particularly special about a pedigree book from that period being pristine.

Is that so? Please find me one of these common as dirt Tomahawk 116's or HoM 175's in 9.6 or 9.8:baiting: And I won't be expecting to pay an arm and a leg for them because they are so common. 

I kid mostly but your points are valid. I haven't broken out any Rocky's but I have broken out a bunch of Suscha's and a Suscha 9.8 is just "nicer" than a normal 9.8 typically. 

On 5/15/2024 at 3:51 AM, tth2 said:

this.

On 5/15/2024 at 4:51 AM, tth2 said:

+1!

(thumbsu

and i love to collect me some error labels; this'un is a "from the collection of...," but they accidentally put it in the ped spot, too.  i needed the book for my ff run, so grabbed it!

ff91.jpg

On 5/15/2024 at 11:19 AM, LordRahl said:

Is that so? Please find me one of these common as dirt Tomahawk 116's or HoM 175's in 9.6 or 9.8:baiting: And I won't be expecting to pay an arm and a leg for them because they are so common. 

But tth2 specified Marvels and neither of those two comics are Marvels meaning they're not nearly as common as Marvels from the same time period.

:preach:

On 5/15/2024 at 9:55 AM, Hepcat said:

But tth2 specified Marvels and neither of those two comics are Marvels meaning they're not nearly as common as Marvels from the same time period.

:preach:

Given that there are exactly 3 copies of both books combined that grade out at 9.6 or above... this is the understatement of the year:kidaround: