• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age pedigree thread
3 3

531 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2024 at 3:10 PM, Ghost Town said:

30226322141_08055b0617_b.jpg

30009871822_34fd213070_b.jpg

29427800943_9c8d28e486_b.jpg

29971173101_de6a59a0bf_b.jpg

A BSD is in town, and you've blown this thread out of the water!!

Those are some seriously impressive books.  The pedigree books talk for themselves quite well.  

Edited by Microchip

On 5/24/2024 at 3:38 PM, Ghost Town said:

These are all Golden State books. I'm probably biased because I own lot of GS books but I think they're pretty great. Probably not quite up there with the Curator or Pacific Coast books because the runs started later. But I think they're nicer than most SA pedigrees.

29975029053_9f4a083298_b.jpg

29740082483_29b8d9edd7_b.jpg

29495364783_dda0fc354d_b.jpg

29495363943_10fe83fda3_b.jpg

I thought I'd been here for a while, I've never even heard of the Golden state collection? You're obviously not holding back, these are some the most difficult books to find in grade, and many of the pedigree's don't even come close on these 4 books.   Whats the background on the collection?

On 5/24/2024 at 3:48 AM, Ghost Town said:

From Worldwide Comics website:

"The Golden State collection was amassed by a meticulous collector residing in the San Francisco area who carefully filed away his newsstand copies each month. The core of the collection ranged from the early 60s to present, but also included a very impressive run of Golden Age as well. 

It was Dan Greenhalgh of Showcase New England who acquired the Silver Age part of the collection and started selling the books in 1997.

Interesting! I bought quite a few Silver Age DC comics from Showcase New England around the turn of the century but I absolutely don't remember which ones.

(shrug)

On 5/24/2024 at 1:38 PM, Ghost Town said:
On 5/17/2024 at 2:00 PM, tth2 said:

Yup.  I bought a bunch of late SA Marvel Golden State books from Showcase New England back in the 1990s and they were beautiful, consistently grading 9.6 and 9.8 with White pages when I eventually submitted them to CGC.  But I'd be hard pressed to say that they were really that much better than other SA Marvels from the same period that I've seen.

These are all Golden State books. I'm probably biased because I own lot of GS books but I think they're pretty great. Probably not quite up there with the Curator or Pacific Coast books because the runs started later. But I think they're nicer than most SA pedigrees.

Sweet books, Barton! 

My impression from the small number of raw GS's that I managed to buy was that they were tremendous books, structurally really superior, but cover gloss and freshness did not quite rank up there with raw Western Penns, Pacific Coasts and Curators that I've seen.  But we're talking about very very small differences, which reinforces my point that the difference between pedigree late SA books with other pedigree and non-pedigree counterparts just isn't that massive, certainly not compared to the difference between many pedigree GA books and their non-pedigree counterparts.  

On 5/24/2024 at 10:54 PM, Hepcat said:

Which collection would you say has the nicest comics from the 1958-64 period including non-Marvel titles?

???

The interesting/frustrating thing about SA pedigrees is that there is just no one pedigree that checks all the boxes for all periods of the SA, particularly the pre-1964 period. 

PC is about as complete as any SA pedigree, but the books are not consistently NM in the earlier period and the knock on the pedigree has always been that the early mega-keys from the collection are not ultra-HG.  WM did have a number of ultra-HG mega-keys, but there are all sorts of holes in the collection.  Western Penn is all over the place.  Bethlehem has some incredible early gems, such as the 9.4 Adventure 247, but definitely does not appear to have been a completist's collection.  

On 5/24/2024 at 7:51 AM, tth2 said:

My impression from the small number of raw GS's that I managed to buy was that they were tremendous books, structurally really superior, but cover gloss and freshness did not quite rank up there with raw Western Penns, Pacific Coasts and Curators that I've seen.  But we're talking about very very small differences, which reinforces my point that the difference between pedigree late SA books with other pedigree and non-pedigree counterparts just isn't that massive, certainly not compared to the difference between many pedigree GA books and their non-pedigree counterparts.  

I think that's true about the cover gloss and freshness. But I think that's also true of the PC books, which sometimes have some translucent covers. For me, the Curator books and the Boston books seem to have the best colors and freshness. I don't have many Western Penn books so I can't weigh in there.

Posted (edited)

Speaking of Pacific Coast copies, here are a couple:

23-05-201182427PM.jpg

23-05-201182435PM.jpg

And best of all, they're neither Marvels or DCs!

:smile:

Incidentally, does anyone else have any pedigreed Archies, ACGs, Charltons or Silver Age funny animal comics? I have several Bethlehem Adventures of the Fly and a couple Northland Adventures of the Jaguar, but I can't remember seeing any others. I'd be particularly intrigued by pedigreed copies of the Space Adventures with Captain Atom, Gorgo, Konga and Reptilicus/Reptisaurus titles.

???

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/24/2024 at 11:55 PM, Ghost Town said:

I don't have many Western Penn books so I can't weigh in there.

The raw WPs I've owned looked like the inks were still wet.