• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age pedigree thread
3 3

532 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 5:00 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Seeing a stack of Bethlehem comics with that very distinctive E. J. KERY Kodak - Film - Magazine Shop stamp on the back cover is just plain COOL to most collectors that I know. SO, it's often not just being high-grade, but the fact that the comics were purchased by the same person or persons and any unifying markings tying them together as a collection that propel many of us to seek them out. As in every aspect of life, people should choose their own path. If you like pedigrees, buy them. If you like high-grade but couldn't give a rip about who bought 'em and where, that's cool too. 

Many of the Bethlehms from the 10 cent era are quite exceptional, and I'm pleased that I have as many as I do.  Part of the expansion of pedigrees was due to collectors like you who enjoy a backstory and commonality of a OO collection, but also due to sharp marketing on the part of dealers trying to extract more money for their wares.

The introduction of the Gold label makes it even more likely that SA and BA pedigrees continue to be sought after.  When there are 17 copies of a book in 9.6, only a few would be pedigrees that would have that classy, shiny new label to indicate how special they are.

Edited by adamstrange

On 5/16/2024 at 5:03 PM, adamstrange said:

Many of the Bethlehms from the 10 cent era are quite exceptional, and I'm pleased that I have as many as I do.  Part of the expansion of pedigrees was due to both collectors like you who enjoy a backstory and commonality of a OO collection, but also due to sharp marketing on the part of dealers trying to extract more money for their wares.

The introduction of the Gold label makes it even more likely that SA and BA pedigrees continue to be sought after.  When they are 17 copies of a book in 9.6, only a few would be pedigrees that would have that classy, shiny new label to indicate how special they are.

ff36.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 4:21 PM, Hepcat said:

But whyever then did you encase those beauties in plastic coffins?

I've bought pedigreed copies not because I thought the designation gave them special status but simply because they were nice enough to fit into my collection . That being said I seem to have acquired dozens of pedigreed comics over the years.

(shrug)

Before the dawn of time, when there were no slabs, my first question to a dealer was, "What pedigrees do you have?", as I found that it was most efficient way to get to books that were likely to meet my standards.

Edited by adamstrange

On 5/16/2024 at 6:05 PM, Straw-Man said:

ff36.jpeg

(thumbsu 

I don't think your photo quite captures the appeal of the new label.  Their first attempt in black was lame, but these are sweet.

On 5/16/2024 at 5:09 PM, adamstrange said:

(thumbsu 

I don't think your photo quite captures the appeal of the new label.  Their first attempt in black was lame, but these are sweet.

msh20.jpg

On 5/16/2024 at 8:51 AM, namisgr said:

Some of the early SA Savannah comics are nice examples of issues hard to find in good shape.

Showcase19.jpg.df83851b617e32272aeb86a0f965a26a.jpg

The collection even included copies of truly important issues.

SugarSpike35cgc.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 4:51 AM, tth2 said:

Other SA pedigrees I attach little to no value to, particularly Savannah and Mohawk. 

While I don't have many Mohawk Valley copies, I quite like the ones I do. I posted a Brave and the Bold 32 previously. Here's another one:

05-09-2011114049PM.jpg

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/16/2024 at 8:25 PM, Straw-Man said:

ff16.jpg

You need one with the actual 8 in a circle marking.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 6:45 PM, namisgr said:

These two wound up in 9.8 slabs after leaving my collection:

Being able to sell off one's undercopies is always nice!

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 6:03 PM, adamstrange said:

Part of the expansion of pedigrees was due to collectors like you who enjoy a backstory and commonality of a OO collection, but also due to sharp marketing on the part of dealers trying to extract more money for their wares.

The introduction of the Gold label makes it even more likely that SA and BA pedigrees continue to be sought after.  When there are 17 copies of a book in 9.6, only a few would be pedigrees that would have that classy, shiny new label to indicate how special they are.

You're absolutely correct on both points. It's always been about extracting higher prices from gullible collectors and now "investors".

(thumbsu

Edited by Hepcat

On 5/16/2024 at 5:03 PM, adamstrange said:

Part of the expansion of pedigrees was due to collectors like you who enjoy a backstory and commonality of a OO collection, but also due to sharp marketing on the part of dealers trying to extract more money for their wares.

I'd agree that the backstory played a role in a pedigree designation, but in the early days I think it was mostly seeing the fresh, clean comics that sent collectors searching out copies from that same source, not having been used to seeing pristine examples with blazing colors, white pages and that tight, bouncy feel of an uncirculated comic. 

On 5/16/2024 at 5:00 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Seeing a stack of Bethlehem comics with that very distinctive E. J. KERY Kodak - Film - Magazine Shop stamp on the back cover is just plain COOL to most collectors that I know. 

Interesting! None of my Bethlehem Tales of the Unexpected or Adventures of the Fly which begin with 1960 issues display that stamp.

(shrug)