• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many pressers do we have here?

Have you ever had a book pressed?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a book pressed?

216 posts in this topic

spine roll expose the pages edges to the outside air allowing more comtaminents, humidity, soil, insects to enter the book interior.

yeah, Im sure it would, if left in a dank basement. But that comics you are talking about more likely sits in a bag or a mylar well packed in a magazine box of similarly well cared for comics. No danger from "contaminants."

Not apples and oranges that is why i brought up the signature collector we are both paper collectors. A book collector who takes a first edition book and has it proffesionally bound will actually increase its value without question. If this is done and the original DJ is included the book value can skyrocket. Again what is is retoration what is repair what is enhancement?

theyre all paper, but so what? I see no hobby shows, groups or chat boards for "Paper Collectors R Us". You cant group all th evarious hobby fields together by the matter their objects of desire are made of. Are car colletors steel collectors? Are toy collectors plastic colectors?

Comics collecting (so far if you please) place higher values on virgin examples, those that survived in top shape with no post-damage enhancements. Sorry. Thats the way it is and has always been.

What about if your dust jacket was restored? Seems to me in book collecting the presence of and condition of the dust jacket is the most important aspect. And anyway, see rule #1: books and comics are paper but worlds apart collecting-wise.

Another thing about your post is wrong, the untouched thing about comics is NOT unrestored.

it is in order

DESIRE for the title/character/artwork

CONDITION the higher the better

RARITY how often do you see that book?

Whoever bought a book 30 years ago and said did you press it?

I dont understand what you say up front.

but I agree with your list. And CONDITION includes "restored" or virgin/untouched.

Doesnt matter what was done 30 years ago. Back then (in 1975) the comics collecting community for back issues was like the early stages of the solar system. Unformed, scant, barely there. But here in 2005, LOTS of people are suddenly hip to pressing - - and VERY interested to find out which of their books have been pressed. u betcha!

I see plenty of hobby shows for paper collectors they are called card shows, Christies, Southebys and other prominent house auctions and the like and they even have televisons shows like Antiques roadshow. Don't be so narrow minded about this. There are FAR far more collectors of other paper media collectables than comic collectors. They accept various forms of restoration you don't have too but you can't force your opinion down everyones else throat.

They accept various forms of restoration you don't have too but you can't force your opinion down everyones else throat.

Seems like the only trying to force an opinion down anyone`s throat here is you.

Aman is not giving an opinion whether it`s good or bad that restoration is not accepted in comic collecting, he`s simply stating a fact: restoration is not currently accepted in comic book collecting. And he`s not saying that other paper collectibles should adopt this mentality.

They accept various forms of restoration you don't have too but you can't force your opinion down everyones else throat.

Seems like the only trying to force an opinion down anyone`s throat here is you.

Aman is not giving an opinion whether it`s good or bad that restoration is not accepted in comic collecting, he`s simply stating a fact: restoration is not currently accepted in comic book collecting. And he`s not saying that other paper collectibles should adopt this mentality.

thanx TTH. Im lost with this guy. But I really like his name!!! Coo SA comics reference updatedl!

yeah, Im sure it would, if left in a dank basement. But that comics you are talking about more likely sits in a bag or a mylar well packed in a magazine box of similarly well cared for comics. No danger from "contaminants."

This you said earlier.

As I said your mylar is not air-proof nor is a CGC or PGX holder. Unless your putting your comics in a climate controlled air filtered vault airborne contaminants are everywhere

Again wrong you don't accept restoration if restoration was not accepted in the comics collecting field then

A. there would be no restorers openly looking for business

B. professional or amatuer books nothing would be worth nothing or about the value of a coverless book for the same issue.

C. This discussion would not be happening.

The realitly is restoration is accepted in comics collecting but there are quite a few vocal oppnents out there. Vocal opponents get noticed silent proponents go on about their business. I am neither I like to educate those who don't see the whole picture. You two only seem to come from the view that restorration = Bad, comic in mud from day after it was bought = good,

I just try to point out that enviromental conditions a reult of handling after sale are not part of the comic book and if they are removed that is not retoration it is conservation.

Again wrong you don't accept restoration if restoration was not accepted in the comics collecting field then

B. professional or amatuer books nothing would be worth nothing or about the value of a coverless book for the same issue.

The realitly is restoration is accepted in comics collecting but there are quite a few vocal oppnents out there. Vocal opponents get noticed silent proponents go on about their business. I am neither I like to educate those who don't see the whole picture. You two only seem to come from the view that restorration = Bad, comic in mud from day after it was bought = good,

I just try to point out that enviromental conditions a reult of handling after sale are not part of the comic book and if they are removed that is not retoration it is conservation.

You're distorting their specific position and in general how restoration is viewed in the comic book community. It is more tolerated than accepted. It is utilized by a small minority of those who collect, and sparingly by dealers for resale. Go right ahead and ask those who restore books. Indeed, the fact that those who do could be named in one line in this post even though there are probably tens of thousands of comic collectors/dealers in the US alone is proof alone of the level of business, as good as it might be for that individual, that exists for a select few.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with restoration though I would much rather have an unrestored comic than a restored one, just as I would in the many other hobby fields I collect in where restoration exists.

You`re right, I`m guilty of using imprecise terms. I was replying to your point that in other fields, restoration/conservation doesn`t impact the value of the collectible, i.e., it is acceptable.

When I said restoration was not accepted in comics, what I meant was that it doesn`t have a neutral effect on the value of a book. Obviously restoration is done and exists in comic collecting. As you say, perhaps restoration shouldn`t be characterized as an evil thing and should not impact the value of a book. But in the hobby that we know today, it does. Fact: restoration/conservation generally has an adverse effect on the value of a comic.