• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many pressers do we have here?

Have you ever had a book pressed?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had a book pressed?

216 posts in this topic

I dont have any of these answers, but, I think I know who you can ask....... 27_laughing.gif

You don't know what defects are removed by NDP pressing? Cool. One more bit of evidence to support my theory that the ones most against pressing are the ones who know the least about it. cloud9.gif

Scott, first off, I think Aman was just trying to be funny.

Second, why the deliberately inflammatory comment? Does someone have to have studied pressing comprehensively before they're allowed to opine that they don't like to see tampering with a book's natural condition? Do I have to have studied the effects of steroids or EPO on the human body in detail before I decide that I would prefer athletic performances to be unaided by artificial enhancements? The more some of us rail against pressing, the more extreme it seems you've become in defending the practice, almost to the point that soon, not only will you say it's not a bad thing, but that it's actually a fine and noble thing to do to a book.

thanx for noticing the obvious humor in my post. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I dont have any of these answers, but, I think I know who you can ask....... 27_laughing.gif

You don't know what defects are removed by NDP pressing? Cool. One more bit of evidence to support my theory that the ones most against pressing are the ones who know the least about it. cloud9.gif

Scott, first off, I think Aman was just trying to be funny.

So was I. makepoint.gif

Second, why the deliberately inflammatory comment?

See response to your first comment.

Does someone have to have studied pressing comprehensively before they're allowed to opine that they don't like to see tampering with a book's natural condition? Do I have to have studied the effects of steroids or EPO on the human body in detail before I decide that I would prefer athletic performances to be unaided by artificial enhancements? The more some of us rail against pressing, the more extreme it seems you've become in defending the practice, almost to the point that soon, not only will you say it's not a bad thing, but that it's actually a fine and noble thing to do to a book.

Extreme how? By noting the fact that the people who are most against it understand it the least? Tim, I notice that whenever I disagree with people (especially you) about something, after a given period of time, you whine about my method of "defending" whatever viewpoint I hold. Do I do that to you? No. If you don't like what I'm saying, then you'll just have to live with it because I'm not going to stifle my opinions just because you and a couple of other guys disagree with me. You guys won't shut up about the pressing issue, so why should I?

My views on pressing haven't changed one bit:

* If someone wants to press his own book, fine. Press away.

* I do not believe it will do any harm at all to the book if done properly and everyone I've spoken to who actually knows how to do it properly, and everything I've read about conservators using the technique of pressing, tells me that professional pressing poses no danger to a comic book or to any paper artifact that is not especially fragile/brittle/pressure sensitive (like a painting with raised artwork).

* Whether it's "fine and noble" is a value judgment that is up to each of us to make. I don't personally consider it "fine and noble," but I don't think it's a bad thing to do to a book either. It is a process that will yield limited or no results in most cases, and dramatic results in a few cases. It is also a decision that a book's owner is entitled to make. Until there is a clear industry standard stating that pressing must be disclosed, I would not hold it against a seller who sold a pressed book without disclosure -- but I would hold it against him if he were asked specifically about pressing and lied about it. If someone asks about pressing, it should be disclosed, no ifs, ands or buts, because that buyer is someone who cares about pressing and the seller has no right to lie about it.

* If a clear industry standard emerges that requires sellers to disclose pressing affirmatively, then I would hold it against any seller who does not affirmatively disclose pressing.

* The fact that I disagree with your opinion about pressing means only that I disagree with your opinion about pressing. It means I don't personally care if someone sells me a pressed book and that I would pay the same for a pressed book as I would for an unpressed book. If you are going to go the route that Chris did and accuse me (directly or subtly) of engaging in something you view as unethical conduct simply because I disagree with you on this issue and my opinion is firm, then you and I are going to have a problem.

that makes sense. That book has so many small defects, I hope that it would grade out at a VG. It is a very sound book, but those old time square bounds with the heavy cardboard covers are hard to keep nice.

So what is a good candidate for pressing?

What kind of condition should it be in?

What kind of defects will it help?

You're 100% wrong on that.

Are you sure? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

* I do not believe it will do any harm at all to the book if done properly and everyone I've spoken to who actually knows how to do it properly, and everything I've read about conservators using the technique of pressing, tells me that professional pressing poses no danger to a comic book or to any paper artifact that is not especially fragile/brittle/pressure sensitive (like a painting with raised artwork).

Scott,

This is the only point I disagree with . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif There are too many variables, i.e.,

"any harm", "done properly", "technique of pressing", "no danger", and "any paper artifact that is not especially fragile/brittle/pressure sensitive"

Scott,

This is the only point I disagree with . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif There are too many variables, i.e.,

"any harm", "done properly", "technique of pressing", "no danger", and "any paper artifact that is not especially fragile/brittle/pressure sensitive"

I'm not saying that pressing is never a danger. I am saying that, for example, when someone like Matt Nelson is doing the work, I trust him to do the job properly and not cause any damage.

I am not sure what you are disagreeing with?

When are we getting lunch next? I am hungry. yay.gif

I have read this entire post. I don't care much for restored books. I think pressing in some cases is fine, and is not a form of restoration. I don't think a seller needs to disclose that the book has been pressed, especially, since CGC doesn't point it out. I think that if the seller is asked if the book has been pressed, I then think he should difinately disclose that it has. I would have no problem purchasing a blue label book, that has been pressed.

that makes sense. That book has so many small defects, I hope that it would grade out at a VG. It is a very sound book, but those old time square bounds with the heavy cardboard covers are hard to keep nice.

So what is a good candidate for pressing?

What kind of condition should it be in?

What kind of defects will it help?

You're 100% wrong on that.

Are you sure? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No. But almost. confused-smiley-013.gif