• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The "SHUDDER" Pulps ....
3 3

220 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2023 at 10:17 PM, waaaghboss said:

Been eyeing this one for a while, finally pulled the trigger.  

20231230_200124.thumb.jpg.cc65b6468d9d717dbd4782c312ece5c9.jpg20231230_181400.thumb.jpg.b11845d3df07090db998d74b40327ea0.jpg

Just realized the illustration is from schomburg.   Just posted on because it caught my eye flipping through 😄

It's the only natural order to notice these things - Nekkid girl - Decapitated Head - Artist Signature hm

On 12/30/2023 at 11:17 PM, waaaghboss said:

Been eyeing this one for a while, finally pulled the trigger.  

20231230_200124.thumb.jpg.cc65b6468d9d717dbd4782c312ece5c9.jpg20231230_181400.thumb.jpg.b11845d3df07090db998d74b40327ea0.jpg

Just realized the illustration is from schomburg.   Just posted on because it caught my eye flipping through 😄

There is some hidden gems by Alex in many pulps yet to be seen 

Looking for opinions: Horror Stories vs. Terror Tales. To those of you long 'in the know', in your mind is there any difference between them... pricing, rarity, cover/interior content? Or pretty much interchangeable?

On 4/28/2024 at 4:23 PM, Point Five said:

Looking for opinions: Horror Stories vs. Terror Tales. To those of you long 'in the know', in your mind is there any difference between them... pricing, rarity, cover/interior content? Or pretty much interchangeable?

I'll take a stab since no one has answered.  I'd say they're roughly interchangeable.   Terror Tales seems to be slightly more available,  a few more copies available on ebay, a few more sold listings on HA, a few more cgc graded copies, but like most pulps specific issue availability varies.  For prices, again it seems like they're largely cover and condition dependent, moreso than title specific.  

They share a lot of similar cover style, starting with Gothic horror in early issues and shifting away from lurid covers in 38.  The interiors are also largely interchangeable, from what I've seen.  

Im curious as to why they switched to a bi monthly schedule though.  I read about a bi monthly western editor using the bi monthly approach to sell more books even going so far as to run around new york stamping issues with next months date to extend the books time on the stands.

I wonder if they went with this approach as more competition hit the stands?  Their sales were still increasing, even to the point they surpassed street in Smith in 37 with 1.5 million books sold a month.  I know there are some posters in here with much more experience,  and I'd be curious to hear their take.

So, this isn't an area of the pulps I'm familiar with (outside of maybe some of the cover art), but I've heard that Popular pulps would often have A and B sorts of titles.  That is - the best stories would go to the top mag and the overflow to the next.  Whether that's the case with those two I don't know, as I've never been much of a fan of the stories.  Maybe I would be if Weird Menace didn't cost so damn much to find out :D

Edited by Darwination

On 4/29/2024 at 4:32 PM, Darwination said:

So, this isn't an area of the pulps I'm familiar with (outside of maybe some of the cover art), but I've heard that Popular pulps would often have A and B sorts of titles.  That is - the best stories would go to the top mag and the overflow to the next.  Whether that's the case with those two I don't know, as I've never been much of a fan of the stories.  Maybe I would be if Weird Menace didn't cost so damn much to find out :D

Oh yes, I'm completely priced out of *both* titles so this question is highly hypothetical.  lol 

Fwiw, there's a lot of replica reprints for both of these titles.  I'm just not a replica guy (I own a single replica, Vice Squad Detective, and it feels/looks just like a TPB, very unfulfilling).

Weird menace are definitely going to be getting slabbed at a high rate.  PCH type of people are after the gruesome art and probably want to avoid any further damage to their copies (how well slabbing achieves this remains to be seen).  I don't blame the cover hunters at all - to me this is some of the most offensive material bar none ever to hit the newsstands :D :canofworms::insane:

Edited by Darwination

On 4/29/2024 at 2:18 PM, waaaghboss said:

Which is why I'm now eyeballing paperbacks 😆 

And why I started a thread about this trending market. Always been a sleepy hobby to most. PBs will never reach Pulp money and Pulps will never realize Comic Book money. But a real affordable hobby even if you only dabble in like I do. I doubt anyone will get rich on them but a real affordable and a fun pursuit.