• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hubba Hubba show your "Girly" Pulps!
9 9

407 posts in this topic

BoudoirTalesv02n01(1935-04)coverQuintana.thumb.jpg.3f4d53fa005b4357722636089197353c.jpg

Out of register, shadow two sides, obnoxiously long stamp on skin tones - from New Jersey, enormous and disjointed star stamp - yeah, this copy has some issues :D

The only issue in the run lacking "Real" in the title of Real Bedtime Tales/Real Boudoir Tales.  Also the only Quintana cover in the run, as all of the others are Reginald Greenwood.

Edited by Darwination

I pulled this one out tonight when I noticed I didn't have a raw cover scan of my own for the issue but only a restoration the scanner who was in a cash pinch did before he sold it to me

BedtimeStoriesv04n10(1936-08.Detineur)coverH.J_Ward.thumb.jpg.4e8a32406c0821f0d3e27e6c84563c39.jpg

I think there's a little sun-fade, but its still a beautiful pulp.  I like the distinctive store stamp of collectors stamp on the back cover, too, M.A.R.?

zdetail.jpg.6986b51e391291048c874da5f257353b.jpg

I'd pulled out a Popular Magazine for scanning tonight but am going with this issue instead.  Outside of the Ward cover, it's stacked with great art from Max Plaisted, Clinton Spooner, and others as well as stories from Tom Kane, Maxwell Joffe, Pearle Botsford, etc.  Might as well scan er since she's out of the bag :yeehaw:

Bah, I sadly realized mid-scan that the photo section was missing.  Unlike most girlie pulps, the photo section in this era of Bedtime Stories was not at the centerfold, so it means 8 missing pages at two separate points in the mag.  Usually, I don't mind a missing photo section much (though there were some great photographers and studios that had their work in them, even if the quality of printing is usually low), but this era of Bedtime Stories mixed the fiction amongst the girlies, so a number of stories are affected :facepalm: I tend to skip incomplete books as scanning material these days, but, on the other hand, it's not like there are many copies floating around, and half the stories are better than none.  And what a gorgeous cover :x

Bedtime Stories 1936-08 cover H.J. Ward (Darwin Edit)

https://archive.org/details/bedtime-stories-v-04n-10-1936-08.-detinuer-incomplete-darwin-ia

Clinton Spooner art

Bedtime Stories 1936-08 splash Specialty - Nudes! Bedtime Stories 1936-08 p007

Edited by Darwination

On 8/7/2024 at 12:11 AM, Darwination said:

I pulled this one out tonight when I noticed I didn't have a raw cover scan of my own for the issue but only a restoration the scanner who was in a cash pinch did before he sold it to me

BedtimeStoriesv04n10(1936-08.Detineur)coverH.J_Ward.thumb.jpg.4e8a32406c0821f0d3e27e6c84563c39.jpg

I think there's a little sun-fade, but its still a beautiful pulp.  I like the distinctive store stamp of collectors stamp on the back cover, too, M.A.R.?

zdetail.jpg.6986b51e391291048c874da5f257353b.jpg

I'd pulled out a Popular Magazine for scanning tonight but am going with this issue instead.  Outside of the Ward cover, it's stacked with great art from Max Plaisted, Clinton Spooner, and others as well as stories from Tom Kane, Maxwell Joffe, Pearle Botsford, etc.  Might as well scan er since she's out of the bag :yeehaw:

AMAZING!!!  I love this pulp!!!  LUCKY!!!! 

On 8/9/2024 at 12:09 PM, Darwination said:

Bah, I sadly realized mid-scan that the photo section was missing.  Unlike most girlie pulps, the photo section in this era of Bedtime Stories was not at the centerfold, so it means 8 missing pages at two separate points in the mag.  Usually, I don't mind a missing photo section much (though there were some great photographers and studios that had their work in them, even if the quality of printing is usually low), but this era of Bedtime Stories mixed the fiction amongst the girlies, so a number of stories are affected :facepalm: I tend to skip incomplete books as scanning material these days, but, on the other hand, it's not like there are many copies floating around, and half the stories are better than none.  And what a gorgeous cover :x

Bedtime Stories 1936-08 cover H.J. Ward (Darwin Edit)

https://archive.org/details/bedtime-stories-v-04n-10-1936-08.-detinuer-incomplete-darwin-ia

Clinton Spooner art

Bedtime Stories 1936-08 splash Specialty - Nudes! Bedtime Stories 1936-08 p007

Wow!! - As always!  You did an AMAZING job on this, looks perfect.  Super hard issue to find, I hope to find a copy one day for my collection.....  Very Nice!!!

On 8/9/2024 at 10:23 PM, dickymoe74 said:

Wow!! - As always!  You did an AMAZING job on this, looks perfect.  Super hard issue to find, I hope to find a copy one day for my collection.....  Very Nice!!!

Yeah, this is one I've seen only 2, maybe 3, copies of, and mine is incomplete. 

There's a couple of these Ward Bedtime stories that are probably at the tip-top of my wantlist, and that might even include some of the more elusive Bolles.