• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Club Kirby (Inquire Within For Membership)
2 2

147 posts in this topic

682043.jpg

I was given a copy by a kid who lived in the street, and that would've been early 1974.

Previously I'd focused solely on Marvel comics, but I was immediately impressed by Kirby's dynamic artwork and started looking out for his DC books on the newsstand from this point onwards.

I don't have the original comic any more, but I do have a nice NM raw somewhere in the boxes.

Edited by Ken Aldred

14 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

It's pretty easy to join.  All you need to do is post a scan or picture of your very first Jack Kirby comic and how old you were when you got it.  After that I was hoping people would post weird and random Kirby things from their collections.  I'll start.  Mine was Eternals #14 and my parents bought it for me when I was four years old.

Eternals #14.jpg

Eternals is one of my favourite Bronze Age series.  Significant to me because this issue was on the newsstand racks the month I upped my game and became a serious collector.  The first complete run I bought by mail order. Remember it well.

50 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

My oldest Kirby comic is also one of my all-time favourite comics.

One of the greatest super-hero slugfests...

8660491217_1b09b4e71f_b.jpg

It's also my favorite.  I owned a reprint of it when I was a kid, first learning how to read.  It's in one of these Fireside books.  They also reprinted FF #26, but they did not include the cover.  Boo.  I actually like to cover to #26 a little bit better because the Hulk is kicking the snot out the the entire Marvel Universe on it.

Marvel Fireside 1.jpg

Marvel Fireside 2.jpg

Marvel Fireside 3.jpg

Fantastic Four #026 2.jpg

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

26 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Here's a couple of Black Magic's that I've always wanted above the others.  Someday I'll own copies.

Black Magic #18.jpg

what are these guys atlanteans or something?  dont need air tanks?

19 hours ago, kav said:

As a Jimmy Olsen fan I was disgusted-it made zero sense and tha art-UGH!!
Took me many many years to like Kirby but when I did I went nuts.

It is kind of strange when Kirby draws well known DC characters that he didn't create.  It's like you're living on Bizarro world.

Super Powers vol. 1 #3.jpg

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

4 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

It is kind of strange when Kirby draws well known DC characters that he didn't create.  It's like you're living on Bizarro world.

DC had curt swan redraw most of the superman and jimmy olsen faces and stick em over the kirby ones he didnt like that much.  LEARN TO DRAWSUPERMAN'S HAIR RIGHT THEN!  YOU DONT EVEN PUT THE PART ON THE RIGHT SIDE!!  You make him look like a cereal killer!!

download.jpeg

19 minutes ago, kav said:

DC had curt swan redraw most of the superman and jimmy olsen faces and stick em over the kirby ones he didnt like that much.  LEARN TO DRAWSUPERMAN'S HAIR RIGHT THEN!  YOU DONT EVEN PUT THE PART ON THE RIGHT SIDE!!  You make him look like a cereal killer!!

At least the King never made Batman pink.

Detective Comics #301.jpg