• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Club Kirby (Inquire Within For Membership)
2 2

147 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2022 at 10:34 PM, Azkaban said:

I think Demon #12 was the first that I remember I was 7 and either my mom or dad got it for me at the IGA or the old Ben Franklins 

Mister Miracle 18 for me.

A kid in the street was throwing it away, so I decided to give it a new, more appreciative home. 

Can't really remember the first book, but it was likely a reprint title like Marvel's Greatest Comics or something that my parents got me as a bribe to be good on a road trip.

Started buying comics on my own in '74-75, well after all the classic Kirby work at Marvel. I do remember buying Devil Dinosaur and Eternals off the rack. 

Think it was how Kirby drew the Thing compared to what I was seeing at the time that made me realize his distinctive style. Once I started collecting back issues, I realized how easy his style was to identify and then was blown away by the scope of his work.

-bc